Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

Remember people on here telling me what a great deal £6m was for N'Zogbia. :jesuswept:

He's the only thing keeping Wigan afloat.

Yeah, but he was miserable here and wouldn't have done us any good. Certainly would have left after getting relegated.

knobhead Kinnear didn't really help.

Surely over the last few weeks the difference between Barton being in the team and Barton being out of the team has been highlighted, underlined and categorically circled in thick red ink? In short, that difference could potentially be the difference between leagues. If that's only worth £2-3 million then maybe relegation won't be so bad after all.

I'd rather risk Barton's contract running out and lose him for free in 18 months than lose him now when we need his type of player desperately.

This is my view basically. Barton might not be effective every game but the ones in which he is will probably keep us up. If he goes, Danny Gutless will be raising the white flag to every midfielder in the division, that much must be pretty obvious by now. Let Barton play out his contract, those 18 months will be crucial in keeping us up. My worry is whether he'll be able to stomach Pardew as manager. That might force issues somewhat.

I suspect there will be a turnover of players in Jan, so some will come in if we sell. I won't be surprised if this is part of the reason they've brought Pardew in at this stage of the season, as they are hoping some new players will help to calm things down after what has been an unpopular appointment.

Barton is a very good player but he is high maintenance. If his heart is in it and he feels needed he is a serious asset, and that was the case under Hughton where he has become an indispensible part of our midfield. But if he doesn't fancy the new managemement or vice versa he'll be a complete pain in the ar5e. Could we even find a buyer that would pick up his wages? Unlikely imo - and what we would do to replace a player of that quality is another story. Unless the club can pull of a serious scouting coup and land the creative equivalent of Tiote for about £3m Pardew needs to make friends with Barton and also to tell Ashley and Llambias to live with the cost of keeping him on the books.

I suspect there will be a turnover of players in Jan, so some will come in if we sell. I won't be surprised if this is part of the reason they've brought Pardew in at this stage of the season, as they are hoping some new players will help to calm things down after what has been an unpopular appointment.

:dowie:

If Hughton hadn't been sacked, then an 'unpopular appointment' wouldn't have been needed.

May as well. Canny on his day doesn't have a enough of them days that is why it is WHU after rather than a top team. Him, S.Taylor & if at all possible Smith off the books would be good Jan clear out. Of course who we get in would be the intriguing part.

Well we wouldn't get in anybody of Barton's quality, for a start.

I reckon we could find a midfielder who scores more goals than Joseph

Rubbish, regardless of goals scored best midfielder at the club by miles and without him we are surely fucked!

May as well. Canny on his day doesn't have a enough of them days that is why it is WHU after rather than a top team. Him, S.Taylor & if at all possible Smith off the books would be good Jan clear out. Of course who we get in would be the intriguing part.

Rubbish, regardless of goals scored best midfielder at the club by miles and without him we are surely fucked!

He's definitely in that core group of "must start" for me, don't know about 'by miles' but agree with the fucked sentiment. 

Sounds funny but I don't think he'll go.

I don't - and didn't in the above post - blame Joey Barton for one nanosecond for getting as much as he can out of it. I'd be filling my boots as well if i could.

I do blame professional football in this country for being sufficiently dimwitted and out of touch with reality to pay such mediocre players such absurd sums of money, whilst we, the paying punters, fork out through the nose on season tickets, sky subscriptions etc etc to fund it all.

The game in this country is heading for a very, very rude awakening.

I have to say I disagree that pro football deserves the blame you're saying that it does there, the paying punters have to take the responsibility. I'm not saying this just because of me supporting people withholding funds from Ashley, it's just always been my view.

Overall, football doesn't have a false economy - it works. It's just a fragile one because it relies on punters paying up far larger sums than they ever have in the past for it and far more than other parts of the first world do. When we each pay £600 a year for some satellite tv channels and a similar number on tickets, we write a very large cheque to the people we give it to and they get to do what they like with it. So their reality is that they have got loads of money to spaff, and the rewards are there to make it maybe worth gambling large sums on players who are hopefully just that little bit better than their mediocre opposition.

It's why wage cap discussions are always arse about face - poorer footballers will just mean richer chairmen. The real change people want requires something else - and it starts with those same people at the root of this economy changing their habits.

If James Milner is worth 24 mill then I'd want at least 10 mill for Barton,knock half off for past misdemeanours and length of contract-take 5-6 mill.

James Milner isn't and has never been worth £24 million, unfortunately.

Rubbish, regardless of goals scored best midfielder at the club by miles and without him we are surely f***ed!

Barton is a improvement on Lil Wayne out wide. Andy Carroll is miles better than any of our other strikers, Barton is not miles better than any of the other regular midfielders, hence why it is WHU & not Man Utd chasing him.

Guest TrueToon

Who clicked "get rid"? who do you want manning the midfield for the rest of the season? Guthrie? Fuck sake, Barton has been brilliant for us.... baffling!  :idiot2:

Eventually - when it suits NUFC - Barton needs to be on his way.

He will always be a liability as he demonstrated against Blackburn, even though he has had innumerable

chances to sort himself out since he came to the club and arguably, his enforced absence was one of the factors in Hughton being sacked after the results at Bolton and WBA.

A decent player, yes, but not irreplaceable given time....

As I said, when it suits NUFC, he should go, but not before. If we ever needed a dressing room without controversy, its now - and a full strength side to boot.

Guest TrueToon

He will always be a liability as he demonstrated against Blackburn, even though he has had innumerable

chances to sort himself out since he came to the club and arguably, his enforced absence was one of the factors in Hughton being sacked after the results at Bolton and WBA.

As I said, when it suits NUFC, he should go, but not before. If we ever needed a dressing room without controversy, its now - and a full strength side to boot.

Yeah 100% agree but not now

Yeah 100% agree but not now

Yeah. His continued fitness and presence in the first team is likely to make the difference between going down and staying up IMO.