Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest NobbyOhNobby

I am no Barton fan but there really isn't much doubt that neither Guthrie or Gosling were far more talented footballers than Barton.

Agreed. Barton's a massive bellend, but he was a much better player than either of them

I am no Barton fan but there really isn't much doubt that neither Guthrie or Gosling were far more talented footballers than Barton.

I preferred Guthrie TBH. Not much in it.

Barton had half a good season in the 4 he had.

Barton had two decent spells for us, the first towards the end of the 2007-08 season when he played as part of a midfield three under Keegan, the second for the first half of the 2010-11 season when he could rely on Carroll getting on the end of his lofted crosses. He could weight a pass that was already in front of him, but otherwise he was slow, too ponderous and undisciplined for the centre of midfield, and masked some dubious effort levels with the odd fiery tackle. He also caused us problems with his indiscipline on and off the pitch, and stalled his move to us in the first place over a ludicrous 'loyalty' payment.

Danny Guthrie, albeit playing more of a bit role, showed in 2011-12 that he was a more talented player, capable of creating passes and building play through the centre of the pitch. Filling in and occasionally alternating with Tiote and Cabaye, that was the last time I was happy with our options in the centre of midfield. We got rid of him because we didn't care for having a squad, and his off-field and fitness issues seemed to increase.

Met him briefly in Manchester once seemed nice enough. Not that this has anything to do with it.

As for his footballing ability, like others have said when he was in good form he was a very important player for us, unfortunately this was only for a fraction of his time here.

He’s just about to turn 32 and he’s playing Second Division football in Indonesia.

Just read about this. He's using his skills to see the world, apparently. Fair play to him.

Barton had two decent spells for us, the first towards the end of the 2007-08 season when he played as part of a midfield three under Keegan, the second for the first half of the 2010-11 season when he could rely on Carroll getting on the end of his lofted crosses. He could weight a pass that was already in front of him, but otherwise he was slow, too ponderous and undisciplined for the centre of midfield, and masked some dubious effort levels with the odd fiery tackle. He also caused us problems with his indiscipline on and off the pitch, and stalled his move to us in the first place over a ludicrous 'loyalty' payment.

Danny Guthrie, albeit playing more of a bit role, showed in 2011-12 that he was a more talented player, capable of creating passes and building play through the centre of the pitch. Filling in and occasionally alternating with Tiote and Cabaye, that was the last time I was happy with our options in the centre of midfield. We got rid of him because we didn't care for having a squad, and his off-field and fitness issues seemed to increase.

Agree with all this other than I didn’t rate his period under KK particularly that much.

I always find that fans that are fans of Barton generally have very poor judgement when it comes to footballers and football as a whole :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

It's an opinion. Not one I'd consider outrageous either. As for Guthrie, at the very least was far better for us than Barton ever was.

I mean, Barton's a cunt. That doesn't mean he wasn't an okay footballer when he wasn't in jail or injured, at least compared to Guthrie. Much better than Gosling when here, but hard to say which one is the okay-est footballer now given how we misused Gosling and him now doing okay at Bournemouth.

I will never understand how he’s seemingly fondly remembered by so many Toon fans because I thought not only was he a bang average player intotal and was for us especially, he missed more games than he played and did fuck all whe he did play. He’s a coward and the fact he played for us reminds me even more of just how shit we turned out post Sir Bobby. He’d be on of our shittest players today just as he was even in the Championship where IIRC he missed a lot of.

It's like how some people idolise thugs with a hardman image, back in my day it used to be Viv Graham, no doubt there'll be some other arsehole who has his fanboys currently.

Barton is just a prick who ended up playing football, hopefully he'll get banged up and go back to where he clearly belongs.

Guest firetotheworks

I mean, Barton's a cunt. That doesn't mean he wasn't an okay footballer when he wasn't in jail or injured, at least compared to Guthrie.

Barton's a blind spot with our supporters it seems, and he always seems to be remembered for things he flat out didn't do. He went to jail, crossed a few balls in for the best header of the ball I've ever seen at Newcastle - 3 years after he signed, and said naughty words about Ashley. That's literally everything he did. Guthrie on the other hand, was one of our most important players in 09/10, particularly after we bought Routledge and he moved to the middle, and then stood in admirably for Cabaye in 11/12. I couldn't care less if Barton had the reputation as the better player or was seen as the better player in training or had more talent or whatever, in terms of their actual contribution here, Guthrie wipes the floor with Barton.

I mean, Barton's a cunt. That doesn't mean he wasn't an okay footballer when he wasn't in jail or injured, at least compared to Guthrie.

Barton's a blindspot with our supporters, he crossed a few balls in for the best header of the ball I've ever seen at Newcastle, went to jail, and said naughty words about Ashley. That's literally everything he did. Guthrie on the other hand, was one of our most important players in 09/10, particularly after we bought Routledge and he moved to the middle, and then stood in admirably for Cabaye in 11/12. I couldn't care less if Barton had the reputation as the better player or was seen as the better player in training or whatever, in terms of their contribution here, Guthrie wipes the floor with Barton.

Agree to disagree, I doubt we'll change our opinion so not really much to discuss. I fully accept your viewpoint however, as Guthrie wasn't bad either. Just in my memory, for whatever reason, Barton had a larger impact (to me). That said, red card against Liverpool wants me to not have that viewpoint, but alas.

Barton had a bit more of a big match temperament to my mind, but Guthrie had better mobility and he wasn't a massive twat which tilts the scale in his favour by some distance.