Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

I quite like/liked the way Gosling played. Thought he was good at getting up and supporting attacks

Yeah he was good at getting into goal scoring positions, just not so good at any actual midfield stuff.

Barton versus Guthrie makes some sense because they overlapped and ostensibly carried out the same sort of role as playmaking midfielders. Gosling barely featured for us and my impression is that he's only effective in sides that get numbers forward and keep the ball in the final third: he occasionally gets on the end of chances and gets involved around the box, but otherwise he doesn't seem to me to have much to offer besides decent work rate.

If you want a real triumvirate, who was best out of Stephen Glass, Daniel Cordone, and Darren Ambrose?

Guest firetotheworks

Barton versus Guthrie makes some sense because they overlapped and ostensibly carried out the same sort of role as playmaking midfielders. Gosling barely featured for us and my impression is that he's only effective in sides that get numbers forward and keep the ball in the final third: he occasionally gets on the end of chances and gets involved around the box, but otherwise he doesn't seem to me to have much to offer besides decent work rate.

If you want a real triumvirate, who was best out of Stephen Glass, Daniel Cordone, and Darren Ambrose?

Stephen Glass for me.

Totally blanked out Gosling playing for us, wasn't he shite? I liked Guthrie but he was straight down the line mediocre and Barton always seemed to flatter to deceive like he was actually better then what he showed. Total cunt of a human though.

Remember being quite pleased when we got Gosling. Did he do that thing of having one match where he played a blinder and never looked any good ever again?

I think he was injured when we signed him or he got injured for a long time a short time after?

Always found him a bit underwhelming when he played for us. Was good at getting at the end of chances as someone mentioned, but he was awful at ever getting any of them at goal.

Can't remember how he performed in the midfield since I hardly ever noticed him there.

Aye, that's it. Everton fans seems gutted to lose him, he got fit, had one game, got crocked, came back, wasn't very good either because he never really recovered from his injury or just because he's not a great player, faded out of the picture, never headbutted anyone.

34% is bad isn’t it?  Even the likes of Pardew are in the 40% bracket i think.

34% isn't inherently good or bad, it completely depends on the context of the results.

Anyone know what they were expected to achieve this season?

Joey had some talent. There's no way all those clubs would have taken on the clear risks with him if they didn't see some significant ability.

In the end, that fed into the problem. Why change if you're always going to get another chance elsewhere.