Damien Duff signs for Fulham, fee undisclosed

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Good sale, providing we get a replacement in. I hope we're looking at some of the youngsters in the CL sides, as there's bound to be another Bentley there somewhere.

Don't think Duff would have been as good for us as many are thinking. He was totally anonymous against West Brom in terms of his role in the side, with absolutely nothing coming from his flank. No runs down the flank, no getting in behind the defence, no taking fullbacks on, no crosses, no bringing the ball out from deep, nothing, zilch. The goal that he popped up with only masked how shit that performance was.

All "we've" gained is a reduction in Ashley's losses for the coming season. The club has gained nothing.

it shouldn't be too hard to find a younger, better replacement who'll play for significantly less. Andrew Driver would be great!

:facepalm:

Yes the younger better one's are always cheap. I'm sure the manager will be straight on to it.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi
  Cody  on 18/08/2009 12:34:55

Arguably one of Fulhams best ever signings

:mackems:

Then again, that's who I felt when we signed him for £5m  :-[

Cody  on 18/08/2009 12:34:55

Arguably one of Fulhams best ever signings

:mackems:

Then again, that's who I felt when we signed him for £5m  :-[

Aye, but we'd just signed him from Chelsea when he looked a decent player. Don't Fulham supporters realise they just bought an injury-prone fuckstick who got relegated?

it shouldn't be too hard to find a younger, better replacement who'll play for significantly less. Andrew Driver would be great!

Yes the younger better one's are always cheap. I'm sure the manager will be straight on to it.

younger, better than Damien Duff though. Could be an u-18  from Gillingham.

:no: Nail in the coffin of any chance of promotion this year IMO

If Oba was too expensive for the Championship so was Duff. There is no counter argument.

If you're happy to accept being in this division for a good few years, then you're right it was a good move.

If you're hopeful of getting straight back into the Premiership, then I fail to see how this can be seen as a positive. If he is replaced at all it will not be by anyone half as good, so the team is weakened by this move.

Aye, because all the other promotion-chasing sides have £70k-a-week wingers on their books, fffs.

The only thing we have as an advantage in this division is our midfield.

I agree, but I just don't think we need an hugely overpaid, underperforming, injury-prone player to aid our cause. We need good team players who are going to play 45 games. You think Burnley had a Damien Duff?

Exactly. Can't believe that still even after relegation people haven't woken up...

I woke up to the nightmare a long time ago thanks. Unless Ashley wants to put the club into administration and lose all his money, then he has no choice but to foot the bill for any overspend this season. As I support NUFC, not SJHL, I couldn't give a flying fuck what the wage bill is, I just want the team to have the best chance it can of getting back into the Premier league ASAP. As far as I'm concerned Ashley owes this club the drop in revenue from relegation due to his mistakes and negligence.

In 5 years time maybe.

We can then sell him on for our new best deal ever.

In 5 years time maybe.

Shall I spell it out for you? Because it seems necessary.

1. We can't afford his wages.

2. He doesn't want to stay.

Welcome to big school.

In 5 years time maybe.

you're a cheerful guy. :lol:

In 5 years time maybe.

Welcome to big school.

Shall I spell it out for you?

1) If we carry on selling our best players - and yes, Duff was one of our best players - then we will be closer to relegation than to promotion. Mike Ashley CAN afford his wages, and he has no choice but to subsidise the club or he will lose even more. Do not expect me to be happy when we have saved Mike Ashley some money by weakening the team.

2) Every last one of our players would move to a Premier League club if offered. Shall we sell them all?

In 5 years time maybe.

Welcome to big school.

Shall I spell it out for you. If we carry on selling our best players - and yes, Duff was one of our best players - then we will be closer to relegation than to promotion. Mike Ashley CAN afford his wages, and he has no choice but to subsidise the club or he will lose even more. Do not expect me to be happy when we have saved Mike Ashley some money by weakening the team.

No he chose not to subsidise the club, hence the sale as the club has to manage it self.

I dont think anyone is happy, the time to stop all this happening was the january transer window last season.

In 5 years time maybe.

Welcome to big school.

Shall I spell it out for you. If we carry on selling our best players - and yes, Duff was one of our best players - then we will be closer to relegation than to promotion. Mike Ashley CAN afford his wages, and he has no choice but to subsidise the club or he will lose even more. Do not expect me to be happy when we have saved Mike Ashley some money by weakening the team.

Duff was one of our best players? PERHAPS Ashley can afford the wages, but I was under the impression he's trying to sell the club? If he's flogging the club to a consortium who can barely scrape together funds to pay for the club, do you think they're going to be able to foot the bill for Duff etc.?

Regardless of all that, I couldn't give a fuck because I think Duff was shit, injury-prone, and one of the reasons we were relegated.

UV - sorry but Duff is not one of our best players.

He's slow as fuck, can't cross, barely scores and can't beat a man anymore.

I doubt we'd have gone down if him and Butt had of been replaced last season but one thing is for sure, you're fucking nuts if you think we could justifiably keep him on £70k per week when he brought so little to the squad.

I'm delighted, I'd rather have a thinner squad and the money in the bank because he delivers so little.

Happy to replace him with Lua Lua or even change the system to 4-3-3 and play a young lad with some pace up front alongside the two big lads in order to justify selling him for that sort of cash.

Edit - Sorry Keefaz - didn't see your post before posting the above. You've said it all, probably better.

younger, better than Damien Duff though. Could be an u-18  from Gillingham.

In 5 years time maybe.

Welcome to big school.

Shall I spell it out for you?

1) If we carry on selling our best players - and yes, Duff was one of our best players - then we will be closer to relegation than to promotion. Mike Ashley CAN afford his wages, and he has no choice but to subsidise the club or he will lose even more. Do not expect me to be happy when we have saved Mike Ashley some money by weakening the team.

2) Every last one of our players would move to a Premier League club if offered. Shall we sell them all?

If these players should all have been kept and we should keep on paying them 70k a week, then why weren't they good enough to keep us in the Premier in the first place?

:no: Nail in the coffin of any chance of promotion this year IMO

If Oba was too expensive for the Championship so was Duff. There is no counter argument.

If you're happy to accept being in this division for a good few years, then you're right it was a good move.

If you're hopeful of getting straight back into the Premiership, then I fail to see how this can be seen as a positive. If he is replaced at all it will not be by anyone half as good, so the team is weakened by this move.

Aye, because all the other promotion-chasing sides have £70k-a-week wingers on their books, fffs.

The only thing we have as an advantage in this division is our midfield.

I agree, but I just don't think we need an hugely overpaid, underperforming, injury-prone player to aid our cause. We need good team players who are going to play 45 games. You think Burnley had a Damien Duff?

Exactly. Can't believe that still even after relegation people haven't woken up...

I woke up to the nightmare a long time ago thanks. Unless Ashley wants to put the club into administration and lose all his money, then he has no choice but to foot the bill for any overspend this season. As I support NUFC, not SJHL, I couldn't give a flying fuck what the wage bill is, I just want the team to have the best chance it can of getting back into the Premier league ASAP. As far as I'm concerned Ashley owes this club the drop in revenue from relegation due to his mistakes and negligence.

Then how much do the lazy fuckwits we laughingly call players owe us? 

Duff failed to earn his money in virtually every game he played for us, he was constantly at fault for us last season either losing possession too easily, not tracking back properly (he was great at looking like he was tracking back but then actually giving up before standing around on the byline waiting for the next opportunity to lose the ball), he lost whatever pace he once had, held up play, was incapable of keeping up with attacking play and struggled to beat opposition defenders.  His last assist for us in the Premiership was a deflected cross that probably wouldn't have ended up anywhere near Andy Carroll's head if it hadn't flicked off a Stoke player.

We could have replaced him with a traffic cone for many of the games last season and we'd have not noticed the difference.  Yes, we need to replace him as we're desperately short of players, but he was fucking useless for us.

6 goals in all his time here  :kasper: Didn't know that. Even as a midfielder thats shit. Having said that he got some important ones winner against Spurs last year, equaliser against WBA.

6 goals in all his time here  :kasper: Didn't know that. Even as a midfielder thats shit. Having said that he got some important ones winner against Spurs last year, equaliser against WBA.

Not quite important enough