Damien Duff signs for Fulham, fee undisclosed

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

He will fit in well on our left side, either in defence or attack.

We have players doing well in those slots (Paul Konchesky and Clint Dempsey). His task will be to knock one of them off their perch.

Will he?

One of the best things about Fulham is that they're a unit. One of Damien Duff's few (if only) bad point is that he tends to go off on his own tangent a bit, with the left-back sorta stood there like :dowie: wondering where the fuck the lad's going.

He will fit in well on our left side, either in defence or attack.

We have players doing well in those slots (Paul Konchesky and Clint Dempsey). His task will be to knock one of them off their perch.

Will he?

Duff's best performances have usually been when his place is under threat. I remember last season when N'Zogbia scored on one of the few occasions he was given a starting spot, Duff looked far more dangerous when he came on, despite having been invisible for plenty of games he'd played in earlier.

Guest Heneage

I think he'll replace Dempsey, and wrongly so. He's the out and out winger that Hodgson see's as providing crosses for Zamora and Johnson to tap in. They don't really play with any out and out wingers Gera on the right prefers to move inside, so he's after options.

Guest toonlass

Another big wage off the bill, some cash in for him. Not really that bothered to see the back of him tbh. See ya later  :morph:

I thought he would be a banker in terms of us having to carry on paying his wages.  It looks like we've done some decent business in the last couple of weeks.  It just makes it all the more infuriating that we couldn't have got on with this a couple of months ago - we'd actually have had some time to restructure the squad....As things stand I'm disappointed that we're losing another body with little or no prospect of him being replaced.

I'm not a massive fan of Duff, but I'll only be happy about this deal if there is a replacement lined up, otherwise there'll be noone f***ing left.

What's the point of making some money and chopping a load off the wage bill if it's gonna leave us with no players?

Tis good money for him, considering he's completely finished.

That said, money in the bank is absolutely no good to us whatsoever, it's money on the pitch we need and none of these wanky loan signings either.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Good deal 4mil up front 4 mil a year on wages

Would have loved to see Sinclair from Chelsea on loan as his replacement

Guest rosstoon

I am glad we are getting rid of him. If you had bought something in a shop that didnt work you would have returned it. Thats what we should have done as soon as we had bought him. 4m for a player whos legs do not work does not go past players(hes a winger and thats what thy are meant to do) Not good enough  for the toon. We will bring in some youngsters to cover him and replace him in due course. No loss in my eyes

Guest Taylor

Good sale at the worst time. Reminds me of Robert, wanted him out the club as well because he did not deliver every week, then he left at a really stupid time. I think we might miss him more than people think.

Again not a big fan of Duff myself, however he did seem the one most likely to score last Saturday, think he could do a good job in this league, if we can get promotion and they're willing to bid the same amount next year, I would say wait. Not fit for the premiership anymore but he looked pretty lively in this league, could be a big difference in our title push.... Never thought I'd be talking about Newcastle and winning the title so soon, pitty it's the wrong title!

Again not a big fan of Duff myself, however he did seem the one most likely to score last Saturday, think he could do a good job in this league, if we can get promotion and they're willing to bid the same amount next year, I would say wait. Not fit for the premiership anymore but he looked pretty lively in this league, could be a big difference in our title push.... Never thought I'd be talking about Newcastle and winning the title so soon, pitty it's the wrong title!

Honestly? ???

Honestly? ???

I thought that as well, although I was in an advanced state of refreshment at the time.

Looks like Duff is happy to leave NUFC to go to Fulham anyway (and who could blame him?) so we may as well take the money (anything from £4m to £5m quoted in the media).

Anyone thinking our reserve players are going to fill the gaps may want to remember that they were absolutely thrashed by League 1's Leeds United Reserves the other day.

I wouldn't be surprised if he did well at Fulham.

I would be. He's finished as a premiership footballer. I've never seen him go past a player since he came here.

Everyone slags off Jonas - although quite rightly - but the reason he looked so bad, is that everything was going through him, as we weren't even bothering to use Duff as an option. Jonas takes the flak for failing to the byeline and crossing effectively, Duff doesn't even attempt to and avoids criticism.

Jonas is hopeless, but Duff is worthless. We're ripping Fulham off a treat if we get ay sort of money for him. He was f*cked when we bought him and has had a near career-endng injury during his time with us.

Glad we are getting rid of this hopeless former player. Have to say I am happy at most of the sales so far. I never thought we would be in a position to gain promotion after this pre season so I see this as a a season of hopefully rebuilding. Getting rid of these no hopers this season is a start and fingers crossed we have new ownership and a manager in place for next season to build a squad.

I wouldn't be surprised if he did well at Fulham.

I would be. He's finished as a premiership footballer. I've never seen him go past a player since he came here.

Everyone slags off Jonas - although quite rightly - but the reason he looked so bad, is that everything was going through him, as we weren't even bothering to use Duff as an option. Jonas takes the flak for failing to the byeline and crossing effectively, Duff doesn't even attempt to and avoids criticism.

Jonas is hopeless, but Duff is worthless. We're ripping Fulham off a treat if we get ay sort of money for him. He was f*cked when we bought him and has had a near career-endng injury during his time with us.

so much truth it should be framed and put on the wall

never did it for us, never. i honestly dont think i saw him go past anyone in his time here, and im not taking the piss there. and £4m is not far short of what we paid for him and he has declined massivley (reputation wise) since we bought him.

however, he would have done well in this league imo, and we simply cant keep selling everyone and brining nobody in.

we need somebody new down both sides now, as well as two new centr halves, a left back and a goalscoring centre forward. thats 6 more players.

we dont stand a fucking chance of getting them in imo. one positive is susppose is we still look very strong (for this league) in central midfield.

(all of the above presuming colo, taylor, jonas go, whcih they will).

It's a great deal for us, £4 million for a player long past his best. We can't forget just how much he has cost us on £70k a week as well - this time a year and a half ago we would have bitten their hands off (probably still are to be fair).

Time to us to play 4-3-3.

------------------- Krul

Simpson -- Taylor --Kadar -- Enrique

------ Barton -- Smith -- Nolan --------

----------------- Ameobi -----------------

---------- Ranger -- Carroll -------------