Chris Hughton

Keefaz

Why can't we just leave it as status quo? Hughton is sending us up pretty much if we carry on like this. What'd be the point in bringing any body else in?

I say if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If we start a-tumblin', then we can start banging on about a new manager. For now, I thank god each and every day that Hughton is in charge and not Kinnear.

Because this is exactly the thought process that landed us with Roeder as manager. We are comfortably stronger than most of the teams in this league and Hughton is doing a competent job at getting us the results we should expect tbh. Things would change quickly if he had some difficult personnel issues to sought out. He's not a manager but is proving to be an excellent coach who's done a great job in the short term, as Roeder did in the past. But don't be fooled, he hasn't got the backbone to do this gig for a sustained period of time.

Good post.. One or two bad results/decisions and the people who are now suggesting to keep things as they are will be on his back.

The only reason I want Hughton to stay on for now is because he's better than all the realistic alternatives.

Give him the chance to make another appointment and Mike Ashley will make sure he screws it up.

Actually, I wake up in a cold sweat at night these days thinking that the only reason he hasn't given Hughton the job permanently is because he sees him as a placeholder until Kinnear gets back to full fitness...  :dowie:

The only reason I want Hughton to stay on for now is because he's better than all the realistic alternatives.

Give him the chance to make another appointment and Mike Ashley will make sure he screws it up.

Actually, I wake up in a cold sweat at night these days thinking that the only reason he hasn't given Hughton the job permanently is because he sees him as a placeholder until Kinnear gets back to full fitness...  :dowie:

I've just realised your probably right about Kinnear. ARRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH

If Kinnear was in charge of the next game it would be this.

Harper

Raylor    Saylor        Colo Jose

Geremi Smith    Butt        Barton  Guthrie

Nolan

Why can't we just leave it as status quo? Hughton is sending us up pretty much if we carry on like this. What'd be the point in bringing any body else in?

I say if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If we start a-tumblin', then we can start banging on about a new manager. For now, I thank god each and every day that Hughton is in charge and not Kinnear.

Because this is exactly the thought process that landed us with Roeder as manager. We are comfortably stronger than most of the teams in this league and Hughton is doing a competent job at getting us the results we should expect tbh. Things would change quickly if he had some difficult personnel issues to sought out. He's not a manager but is proving to be an excellent coach who's done a great job in the short term, as Roeder did in the past. But don't be fooled, he hasn't got the backbone to do this gig for a sustained period of time.

roeder was one of our better managers in recent times

I've just realised your probably right about Kinnear. ARRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH

If Kinnear was in charge of the next game it would be this.

Harper

Raylor    Saylor        Colo Jose

Geremi Smith    Butt         Barton  Guthrie

Nolan

Wrong. We'd probably see him benched in favour of playing with ten men.

Would you have him back then?

No doubt you have armed yourself with a whole bunch of useless stats to back up that argument.

No doubt you have armed yourself with a whole bunch of useless stats to back up that argument.

Key one is going to be that 7th place finish. I thought Roeder should not of got the job but I wont slag him off as he was good captain & when he has spoke about since leaving Newcastle United he has wanted us to do well. I dont get that vibe from Souey & BFS.

Key one is going to be that 7th place finish. I thought Roeder should not of got the job but I wont slag him off as he was good captain & when he has spoke about since leaving Newcastle United he has wanted us to do well. I dont get that vibe from Souey & BFS.

So because one guy was found out playing above his level that means in future that all coaches will make bad managers? The level of logic on this forum is breath taking. I suppose it's also no more foreign managers after Gullit too. To break it down even further, Hughton isn't Roeder and we won't know how good/shit he is until given the chance.

It would be fairly sensible to say that he wouldn't be very good in the end, siting that he would be managing already if he was any good. But because Roeder was bad when promoted after a good run? That's just hill-billy thinking.

The point made by afar still stands though. Roeder has only proven that he gets worse as a manager the longer he stays at a club where his character flaws get exposed. You have to consider the possibilty that Hughton could turn out the same and it will be interesting to see if he has the strength of will to ignore pressure from senior players at the club, and make tough decisions.

The point made by afar still stands though. Roeder has only proven that he gets worse as a manager the longer he stays at a club where his character flaws get exposed. You have to consider the possibilty that Hughton could turn out the same and it will be interesting to see if he has the strength of will to ignore pressure from senior players at the club, and make tough decisions.

the difference between roeder and hughton is that,as you say roeder got exposed as time went on, it had been proved before he took our job. that level of history isn't there with hughton, he could turn out that way but so could the majority of other managers with little or no experience.. thats not to say i want hughton in the job permanent.

The two recent clubs he left got a lot worse after he left. I am not sure if you read what I posted but I did say Roeder should not of got the job.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/sep/09/world-cup-wales-guus-hiddink-russia

Guus Hiddink puts his Russia squad through its paces before tonight's qualifier against Wales. Photograph: Phil Noble/Reuters

Guus Hiddink has opened the door to a possible return to the Premier League after revealing that he retains a strong appetite and passion for English football following his successful caretaker spell at Chelsea. The Russia manager plans to take a break after next year's World Cup finals but he described England as a "very attractive" place to work and admitted he is missing the country where he spent the final four months of last season.

The 62-year-old, who is back in Britain for Russia's World Cup qualifier against Wales at the Millennium Stadium tonight, enhanced his reputation during his sojourn at Chelsea, where his arrival rejuvenated the London club and culminated in victory in the FA Cup final over Everton. The period left an indelible mark on the Dutchman, who still marvels at the work ethic he observed in Frank Lampard and John Terry, two players whom he believes can lead England to World Cup glory next year.

After the finals in South Africa Hiddink intends to rest from football for a period but, providing he retains his hunger for the game, he envisages returning, with England a favourable destination. "I had a wonderful time there and before I worked for Chelsea I was often [watching] the Premier League," he said. "I love to be in England to smell the atmosphere. So, missing it? Of course missing it. But I love to work with the guys in Moscow as well."

Does that mean he has the appetite for a second stint in the Premier League? "Of course. England is very attractive. It's unique in that the level of competition is high. But I have to make a judgment whether I stop for a few months, or half a year or a year, or do something different within football. I don't know yet. I am ageing in our profession. But as long as football gives me the energy and I am not repeating myself – because that is a trap, being a long time in the business that you go on automatic pilot."

Not that there seems to be much need for Hiddink to change his formula. Success has generally followed him across the seven countries where he has managed either at club or international level. Along the way he has worked with some of the most talented footballers in the world but as he looks back on the 105 days that he spent at Stamford Bridge at Roman Abramovich's behest, there is a sense that few players have impressed him as much as Lampard and Terry.

"I loved to work with them every day," said Hiddink. "Sometimes I had to put a brake on them. It was impossible to put a bit in the mouth, like a horse. But every now and then you would have to protect them from themselves. They are key players for Chelsea and key players for the national team. England are depending a lot on them but it is encouraging that there are good young players coming up as well. The England squad is doing well. England are playing a modern way of football, very intelligent, smart and attractive. And I think they can go all the way in South Africa."

There was also an encouraging message for Chelsea fans as Hiddink, recalling the way in which the players responded to their controversial exit from the Champions League at the hands of Barcelona in May, predicted that the squad would be galvanised rather than chastened by Fifa's decision to ban the club from making any signings until 2011 over the Gaël Kakuta affair. "I think the team will get even more energy out of this because they will react," said Hiddink.

"The team reacted wonderfully when we had some difficult times by being eliminated in the Champions League. For me, that was such a tremendous reaction. You get your revenge not by starting to cry but to get more energy out of it, like when we played against Arsenal [and won 4-1]. It was a beautiful reaction from the team. So energetic, so full of power; mental power. And there will be a new determination now."

I hope we have the gut and go all out for him, when we are in the Premiership next year.

Hiddink at Newcastle :lol: Every club in Europe with a vacancy (and no doubt some without one) will be after him when he leaves Russia. We've got about as much chance of appointing Hiddink as we do of signing Messi.

Nice wet dream though.

the difference between roeder and hughton is that,as you say roeder got exposed as time went on, it had been proved before he took our job. that level of history isn't there with hughton, he could turn out that way but so could the majority of other managers with little or no experience.. thats not to say i want hughton in the job permanent.

Oh yeah, I agree. A lot of this is just speculation after all. Just because Hughton has been talking up Nicky Butt as club captain doesn't necessarily mean he will actually pick him to start at the first opportunity for example. Also if Hughton turns out to have flaws they are going to be of a different nature to Roeder whose ideas weren't the worst. He was undone by his lack of character which led to lack of respect from the playing squad eventually.

Hiddink at Newcastle :lol: Every club in Europe with a vacancy (and no doubt some without one) will be after him when he leaves Russia. We've got about as much chance of appointing Hiddink as we do of signing Messi.

Nice wet dream though.

Hiddink is one of the best managers around, if not THE best - would not have turned his nose up at NUFC after KK left in 97(had he been available)because the club were serious competition to Man U then...

However, wouldn't touch the club with a barge-pole now unless it was taken over by a fabulously-wealthy owner who guaranteed him a decent budget AND a free hand.

This guy would have us in contention for the Prem title within 2 years of taking over in those circumstances

provided we were a Prem club by then ; even with a rich owner, I doubt if he would take the job if we were in the CCC because his time is getting short in management now.

Newcastle United's experience with promoted coaches isn't good; leaving aside those whose time in charge was too brief to be significant I can recall Dinnis, McFaul and Roeder (not claimed to be exhaustive) whose stints were poor to disastrous. That said Houghton isn't responsible for those records and he may develop in the job; my main doubt would surround whether he wants such a role given his willingness so far to have performed a less conspicuous role and how comfortable he would be in the spotlight; the extra pressure could affect him adversely (or he may respond brilliantly to it).

On the basis that how he would perform if 'promoted' is an unknown, that there is no certainty that he wants the 'promotion', that the track record of some excellent coaches when promoted (add McLaren and Queiroz to the Newcastle list) is poor and the fact that promotion is crucial to us I would prefer a manager of experience (and success); that also means not Shearer.

Wouldn't be overly upset if either Houghton or Shearer were appointed though, anything in preference to Kinnear.

Guest Heneage

I couldn't give a s*** who he plays, as long as we win.

Aye screw player happiness and squad harmony, points mean prizes!

:lol:

Here we go then. How is a win going to result in adverse consequences to squad harmony and player happiness?

By your logic, you'd rather lose than risk upsetting a player or two?

If you are Danny Guthrie, who has played well scored a goal, and you lose your place to Nicky Butt you will be pissed off, and rightly so. You need to think of players morale, and make sure all your players are happy. Unless you want restless players come January.

Guest icemanblue

Here we go then. How is a win going to result in adverse consequences to squad harmony and player happiness?

If you are Danny Guthrie, who has played well scored a goal, and you lose your place to Nicky Butt you will be pissed off, and rightly so. You need to think of players morale, and make sure all your players are happy. Unless you want restless players come January.

So, you'd rather lose than upset Danny Guthrie?

I'm sure he'd be happy to accept losing his place if it resulted in a win for the team.  Took you a day to come with that, eh?

Guest Heneage

Where have I said that you duck egg? :lol:

I'm saying just winning games isn't enough.

I'd rather Butt quit the game tbh.