Newcastle United 1 - 0 Leicester City - 31/08/09 - post match reaction from p22

JH

Don't think Ranger was any better than what Carroll's shown thus far. Carroll brings the ball down with more quality from what i've seen so far.

I like Carroll, certainly a lot more than most on here but Ranger seemed a lot more creative (intelligent) in the second half than we have seen from any forward this season.

Carroll is a beast and will do well for us in this league, wouldn't mind seeing the two play together to be honest.

yeah, Simpson did well too.. He even won a header against Howard once.

I thought Barton and Geremi were below average, but overall no complaints whatsoever. It was a tough game in tough conditions and a good team performance.

Don't think Ranger was any better than what Carroll's shown thus far. Carroll brings the ball down with more quality from what i've seen so far.

Ranger is clearly the more gifted player between the two though. Carroll usually isn't very useful when he gets the ball at his feet.

Ranger motm to be honest, Enrique was the kingpin of the defence once again but let himself down with daft passes

On that basis alone, how on earth is Nile behind Carroll in the pecking order?

Because he hadnt played that game yet. Might look different now.

I don't really see what effect the opposition could have on a player's first touch tbh

Everyone knows he's great in training, the only question mark was his ability to handle the pressure of a first team start against a tough tackling Leicester who would get tight to him and deny him space.

He answered that tonight. Woo hoo.

Guest Heneage

Harper 7.5 - Just had that touch of class to keep them out tonight, made two very good saves and was good with his distribution.

Raylor 7.5 - Linked well with Guthrie and put dangerous cross or two in, looks very solid.

Saylor 8- Just another training session for him

Simpson 7.5 - Very good, got up well despite his lack of height and with Taylor kept another clean sheet.

Enrique 8- Much like Saylor just another training session.

Geremi - 5 offers nowt really

Smith 7.5- Battled all night with howard and kept him quiet, good performance.

Barton 7 - looked very rusty needs to sharpen up

Nolan 7- Was good but really tired towards the end, I'd be getting him in for fitness sessions.

Guthrie 8- When we needed someone to step up he did, great finish worthy of the top league.

Ranger -7.5 Second half was his best, strong pacey just wish he would have a dig now and again

Kadar - too late to do anything

Donaldson much the same

Haris - Just chased stuff down .

Overall it was good, with 4 missing it wasn't going to be easy, we really need more bodies in and if Ashley thinks we can survive on this then I worry. 4-5 in and we will win this.

By the way, I thought the substitutions were poor decisions. I know Ranger, Guthrie and Barton were knackered, but it's asking a lot for youngsters to come on at that late stage and in that situation of defending a slender lead.

He had no defenders to bring on and Leicester were fairly toothless to be honest.

Yeah, shame he's pretty shit at almost everything else though.

I hate the Ranger-hype, but I get the feeling he'll make a much better forward than Carroll.

Harper: 8 - Two good saves to prevent us going one down, caught well and distributed well for a change.

R. Taylor: 6 - Steady away, crossing was hit and miss.

Simpson:  6 - Solid.

Taylor: 7 - Probably our best defender today.

Enrique: 6 - Solid but sloppy going forward.

Barton: 4 - Awful, seemed to give the ball away every time he got it.

Smith: 8 - Worked his bollocks off, pretty much nullified the threat of Howard and broke up play well.

Guthrie: 7 - Brilliant in parts, sloppy in parts, took his goal brilliantly.

Geremi: 5 - Slow and gave the ball away a lot. Put the odd half decent ball in, marginally better than Barton though.

Nolan: 5 - Got more involved in the second half but a pretty nothing performance.

Ranger: 7 - Worked his bollocks off. Nothing special first half but created several chances in the second, deserved a goal.

Yeah, shame he's pretty shit at almost everything else though.

I hate the Ranger-hype, but I get the feeling he'll make a much better forward than Carroll.

Its fucking gay.

Harper: 8 - Two good saves to prevent us going one down, caught well and distributed well for a change.

Smith: 8 - Worked his bollocks off, pretty much nullified the threat of Howard and broke up play well.

Geremi: 5 - Slow and gave the ball away a lot. Put the odd half decent ball in, marginally better than Barton though.

Nolan: 5 - Got more involved in the second half but a pretty nothing performance.

Ranger: 7 - Worked his bollocks off. Nothing special first half but created several chances in the second, deserved a goal.

Agree with most of that, people are being a bit nicey-nicey because we won. I'd give Nolan a 6 though.

Agree with most of that, people are being a bit nicey-nicey because we won. I'd give Nolan a 6 though.

:thup:

Harper - 8 - Two great saves preventing us from going behind when we were poor 1st half

Raylor - 7 - Didn't do too much wrong and put in a few nice set pieces

Enrique - 7 - DEFENSIVE BEAST (bar that one horrendous moment near the end)

Taylor - 7 - Played at walking pace. Too easy for him.

Simpson - 6 - Went unnoticed so obviously did his job well

Guthrie - 8 - Fantastic second half which drove us on to victory

Geremi - 4 - Useless

Barton - 6 - Very poor until the end of the game when he picked up a bit

Smith - 8 - Vital to us winning the game with his man marking of Howard

Nolandinho - 7 - At some points looked really classy and got some good shooting and linking positions

Ranger - 8 -  :smitten: fantastic link up play. Way beyond what I was expecting after Huddersfield.

Yeah, shame he's pretty s*** at almost everything else though.

completely agree with all of that  :yikes:

Guest TheKingOfNewcastle

Spot on. He was absolutely dreadful tonight. How some people on here rate him our best player is just staggering.