The NUFC transfer deadline day thread - Summer 2009

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

1. Steve Harper

2. Fabricio Coloccini

3. Jose Enrique

4. Kevin Nolan

7. Joey Barton

8. Danny Guthrie

11. Peter Lovenkrands

12. Danny Simpson

16. Ryan Taylor

17. Alan Smith

18. Jonas Gutierrez

20. Geremi

22. Nicky Butt

23. Shola Ameobi

24. Andy Carroll

27. Steven Taylor

The rest are just youngsters with Krul and Ranger having played the most minutes between them.

I wasn't expecting any permanent signings but i'd hoped for a couple of loans. I hope we take advantage of this short-term loan deadline, and keep looking at some of the frees. But i guess if we were gonna look at free agents, we'd have signed some by now anyway. Harumph.

For all this talk about how few 'senior player' we have, the squad isn't that bad.

How many teams in the Championship have a better 4th choice striker than Ranger? Or a better 3rd choice centre back than Simpson?  Or better reserve wingers than Guthrie and LuaLua?

The squad would be rubbish in the PL, but in the Championship?  Not bad.

Guest sicko2ndbest

State of play

Harper/Krul

Simpson/Geremi  Colo/Taylor/Kadar/Simpson  Enrique/simpson/raylor

Raylor/Guthrie  Barton/Smith/Nolan/Butt/Guthrie  Jonas/Lua Lua/Loven

Ameobi/Loven/Carroll/Ranger

Centre half is by far the weakest area should Taylor get injured!

We've needed a quick player who can play in the area between striker and midfield, so Lovenkrands is a very good addition.

It's a bit disappointing that we haven't signed another centre back, but anyone who is good enough to sign for a Premiership club is going to do so. The likes of Man U are only going to release young players if they're going to get first team experience (eg Simpson). There's no point in them loaning players out who are going to act as 'cover'. I think those two factors have made it difficult for us.

The glass-half-full element is the players we've managed to keep eg Smith, Jonas, Barton.

The glass-half-full element is the players we've managed to keep eg Smith, Jonas, Barton.

But what wages do those three command, and some others besides?  I'd hazard a guess we have the highest wagebill in the Championship. Just as well we also have the best supporters eh!  :lol:

We better get promoted if Ashley doesn't sell us. Actually, we better get promoted anyway.

Not losing players was huge. There's still free agents out there should we become desperate, as well emergency loans if we suffer from a typical Newcastle injury crisis. With Lovenkrands in, I'm not too worried about our Forward or Midfield situation anymore, for the CCC, I think we're more than fine there. As long as we're still in the hunt for promotion in January, I think we'll be ok in that window as well. All in all, it could have gone much worse, and we're still on track for promotion, so it was nearly as good a day as could realistically have been hoped for.

The only thing that worries me now is cover for our defense. It doesn't seem like Taylor or Colo get injured very often, but you never know, it only takes one broken bone to expose the lack of depth there. Enrique seems to pull a groin or hamstring every few months and miss a few games, and you never know how well Simpson will hold up. I don't even mean the experience back there, I mean simply the lack of bodies for cover. We have the starting 4, Raylor can cover if necessary, and possibly Kadar and/or Tozer if they are ready. If they are not, or even if we simply have 2 or 3 defenders out for a game, which can happen all the time, who can we shove in there? So I do hope we are still looking at free agents, or at least have loanees lined up and ready to bring in as emergency guys for when the inevitable injury crisis occurs.

But what wages do those three command, and some others besides?  I'd hazard a guess we have the highest wagebill in the Championship. Just as well we also have the best supporters eh!  :lol:

We better get promoted if Ashley doesn't sell us. Actually, we better get promoted anyway.

I read something the other day that we'd still have the 6th highest wage bill in the Premier League, never mind the Championship.

We absolutely have to get promoted this season or we might never get out of this league.

Not really tried to capitalise on our good start by investing in a decent squad to make that happen.

So yet again I forsee another fuck up by the retards at the helm.

We absolutely have to get promoted this season or we might never get out of this league.

Oh of course. Players like Saylor, Enrique are doing a good thing staying but I don't expect in million years they'll be willing to "sacrifice" more than one season of their careers and rightly so.

Do we have a list of free agents?

AShley is the biggest MONG on the planet, he is so fucking stupid he is risking a possible crack at promotion which would probs see the club worth a bt more.  Total mong how this cunt ever made money is beyond. me.

I hope he gets volcano'esq diarrhea

Not sure how anyone can be disappointed with that, I'm more pleased nobody has left. Lovenkrands is a excellent acquisition and the squad is decent if a little small on numbers. If we don't get out of this league everyone of them needs shooting. Easily got the best first XI imo and a few loans at centre back and maybe on the wing would put us up there for best squad too.

Pleased and relieved, fully expected a few more to leave before the window "slammed shut".

Guest KevinKeegan

Last season Ashley saved few millions on january tranfer womdow and we relegated. (total lost 40 millions).

This season Ashley will save few millions in transfer windows and we won't promote... total lost again 40 million....

Last season Ashley saved few millions on january tranfer womdow and we relegated. (total lost 40 millions).

This season Ashley will save few millions in transfer windows and we won't promote... total lost again 40 million....

Didn't help with you fucking off mind