Not Worthy Of A Thread

Thespence

Half way line 1-on-1 shootout thingies!

Is this what the yanks used to do? I may be remembering incorrectly or they may still do it...but I really liked it.

Run from the halfway line, must shoot from outside the 18 yard box?

These best-of-five contests placed a player 35 yards from goal with five seconds to put the ball past the opposing goalkeeper; if needed the shootout progressed into extra frames. A winning team received one standings point (as opposed to three for the regulation win).

Just keep playing until someone comes out at the end of a 15 minute ET period in front.

Would love those 0-0 days where we'd still be sat in the stadium at 3am in the morning willing Shola to put it in the net.

Is this what the yanks used to do? I may be remembering incorrectly or they may still do it...but I really liked it.

These best-of-five contests placed a player 35 yards from goal with five seconds to put the ball past the opposing goalkeeper; if needed the shootout progressed into extra frames. A winning team received one standings point (as opposed to three for the regulation win).

Ah yeh, there was a time limit. :thup:

I'd be interested to see it trialled. Would be some hilarity as well as cracking goals.

Not to settle normal draws (I think the draw in a game is vital). But to replace penalty shoot-outs...yep.

They used it after 90 minutes if the game was a draw iirc, the winner of the shootout getting a point, the loser getting 0. That's why it was fucking ridiculous. I don't think it's all that mental as a penalty replacement tho.

Guest guinness_fiend

I have no issue with penalties.  Blatter is insinuating that the current system does not allow the better footballing team to win, such as was the case last week, but if a team cannot finish it off in 120 minutes, what is to say that they would do it over 1200?

Penalty shoot-outs are dramatic, do the job and keep people on the edge of their seats.  Just like penalties in ice hockey.

The system is adopted because it serves as a leveller which, oddlt enough, is exactly what is needed after a clear statemate.

Ah yeh, there was a time limit. :thup:

I'd be interested to see it trialled. Would be some hilarity as well as cracking goals.

Not to settle normal draws (I think the draw in a game is vital). But to replace penalty shoot-outs...yep.

They used it after 90 minutes if the game was a draw iirc, the winner of the shootout getting a point, the loser getting 0. That's why it was fucking ridiculous. I don't think it's all that mental as a penalty replacement tho.

Agreed.

Also, was the ball dead if the keeper touched it? I'm remembering from a long time ago, and as I've already shown...my memory is flakey on this one :lol:

I guess it's "dead" in the fashion that you're not allowed to touch it again. The quality part is that if the keeper fouls you... you get a penalty. Some crazy Inception shit.

When the game is drawn, whichever team that scored first will only have to see out the 30 mins of ET, without conceding, and they'd go through automatically.

That would have taught those Chelsea fuckers. :dave:

When the game is drawn, whichever team that scored first will only have to see out the 30 mins of ET, without conceding, and they'd go through automatically.

That would have taught those Chelsea fuckers. :dave:

No.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/210/119/+_2acc5a8841f8752904d37f90a8014829.png?1322693145

Some of them look like very basic annual salaries. I thought they must be weekly until I saw Henry on $5M.

yup not much more than the average wage some of them, can't be great for dressing room unity in all the clubs to have such a huge disparity in salaries.