Not Worthy Of A Thread

Thespence

4 of the top 5 (in order) had the worst injury records, with the Champions having the best. Weird.

Anyway the 4th worst injury record in the league, further proof of our god given luck.

Luck, or proof the squad players are better than we thought, which has proven the case with the likes of Perch & Guthrie last season.

Guest neesy111

Italian PM wants Professional Football in Italy banned for 3 years to deal with corruption.

:yao:

:lol: It's now at the point that people aren't even trying to find pictures of the Chelsea physio. Fuck it, anyone will do.

It's the Morgan Freeman of the physio world.

Sepp Blatter has asked Franz Beckenbauer to come up with an alternative to penalty shoot-outs  :lol: :lol: :lol:

They discussed this on the latest World Football Phone-In and came up with an interesting suggestion.

My initial opinion was that whilst penalties aren't ideal, we've grown up with them and they're ingrained in the game. It's cruel and luck plays a part, but that's life lets just accept we'll never find a better idea. It may not be the perfect solution, but its the optimal solution. We can't do replays (due to logistics), decide it on least fouls committed (puts pressure on referees), on most corners (it'll promote unsavoury tactics) or anything like that. We're stuck with shootouts forever!

However, I really liked what they came up with - have the shootout between the 90 minutes and extra time, so the losing team can still do something about it. If Chelsea win the shootout, Bayern have 30 minutes to grab a winner and make the shootout irrelevant. They'll have to go for it and it will stop dull, negative extra time periods. Opinions? Should we just leave it as it is or can penalty shootouts evolve?

"They'll have to go for it and it will stop dull, negative extra time periods."

You could just as easily argue that Chelsea could, and would, park the bus for 30 minutes knowing that if they see that period out they're guaranteed the win, hence ET becomes even for dull and negative.

At least only one team will be like that rather than now when both teams are too scared to go for it.

aye big problem with extra time is the fact both sides are too terrified of screwing up to have a go

Sepp Blatter has asked Franz Beckenbauer to come up with an alternative to penalty shoot-outs  :lol: :lol: :lol:

They discussed this on the latest World Football Phone-In and came up with an interesting suggestion.

My initial opinion was that whilst penalties aren't ideal, we've grown up with them and they're ingrained in the game. It's cruel and luck plays a part, but that's life lets just accept we'll never find a better idea. It may not be the perfect solution, but its the optimal solution. We can't do replays (due to logistics), decide it on least fouls committed (puts pressure on referees), on most corners (it'll promote unsavoury tactics) or anything like that. We're stuck with shootouts forever!

However, I really liked what they came up with - have the shootout between the 90 minutes and extra time, so the losing team can still do something about it. If Chelsea win the shootout, Bayern have 30 minutes to grab a winner and make the shootout irrelevant. They'll have to go for it and it will stop dull, negative extra time periods. Opinions? Should we just leave it as it is or can penalty shootouts evolve?

Don't remember if it was Beckenbauer, Cruyff, or Carlos Alberto (they interviewed all three), but there is a moment in the that film about the New York Cosmos when one of them expressed admiration for the NASL shootout rules. 

Can't say i thought it was an improvement. My jaw dropped when I heard it being praised. (God, I hope it wasn't Beckenbauer.)