Not Worthy Of A Thread

Thespence

At least only one team will be like that rather than now when both teams are too scared to go for it.

aye big problem with extra time is the fact both sides are too terrified of screwing up to have a go

It's been my experience that after a tight, cagey and dull 90 mins the game tends to become more open and exciting in extra time as the teams get tired.

I hope Blatter was joking with the Beckenbauer proposal. I don't see why fundamental rules have to be reconsidered just because Uncle Franz and his club are depressed having lost a CL final on penalties at home. Many teams have lost on penalties without being afforded this luxury. Nothing wrong with a penalty shootout, it still involves footballing and mental qualities. I'm sure Blatter is old enough to remember the Euro '68 semi-final between Italy and the USSR in Naples being decided by a coin-toss in the dressing-rooms, with only the referee, the two captains and a delegate from each federation present. I think you can guess who inevitably won that coin-toss...

Interesting interview with Diego Gavilan of all people.

http://www.goal.com/es/news/23/inglaterra/2012/05/29/3135126/diego-gavilán-gary-speed-era-como-un-padre-para-m%C3%AD

The first Paraguayan to play in the Premier League sat down exclusively with goal.com to share his memories of his time at Newcastle, under Bobby Robson, and playing with greats like Alan Shearer & Gary Speed.

Now, retired from football at the age of 32, Gavilan is taking his coaching badges to help future stars of the prestigious school in Asuncion, where he met with goal.com.

Relaxed and friendly, the midfielder, who went to the 2002 and 2006 World Cups with Paraguay, remembers well a goal he scored for the Magpies against Coventry City over 12 years ago.

"Gary Speed won the header and the ball rebounded to Alan (Shearer), he played a pass into space as he'd seen me make a run to the right and I picked up my pace, hit the goalkeeper, and thank God, it was a goal." he said.

"Alan was a true professional. He is very humble, very quiet, but he is like a God to the fans", explains Gavilan.

"He spoke with everybody, especially the young players. He just said, "Pass the ball, pass the ball, and I passed it", says Gavilan grinning.

His smile lasts up to the point where he's asked about his former team mate, Gary Speed.

"I was on holiday, I seen about it on Twitter...it was a shock", he laments. "I'll never forget when I was called up to the 2002 World Cup squad. He approached me and said, "Congratulations, because you are one of three players to represent us in the World Cup with Shay Given and Kieron Dyer".

"At this time, I was not used to the first-team much and the gesture of him to congratulate me is something I will always remember. He was an example, as a professional, as a person, as a father".

It was a difficult time for "El Pampero" in the Premier League, where he describes the English game as being, "end-to-end, very physical, and the player who normally wins the most 50-50s is the crowd favourite", unlike what he had experienced in Paraguay.

In his first game with the team, where they clashed with Manchester United, Gavilan ran on to a pass and was harshly challenged by Jaap Stam.

"Stam left his leg in, and said 'Welcome to the Premier League'." He laughs when he recalls this part. "They were not happy that we won 3-0".

Can't be arsed to translate the non-Newcastle bit after this....also, I hope Andy O'Brien doesn't get to see it, poor bloke.

They can't pull the wool over my eyes!  Just be happy with your 2 wrestling belts Pards and stop getting greedy.  I say this before it starts getting daft and he hands Sammy Ameobi the Award for the World's Bestest Knobbly Knees.

Most international matches playing for the winning side:

95 - Iker Casillas (ESP)

94 - Ahmed Hassan (EGY)

94 - Lilian Thuram (FRA)

89 - Mohamed Al-Deayea (KSA)

89 - Ali Daei (IRI)

88 - Cafú (BRA)

87 - Claudio Suárez (MEX)

85 - Lothar Matthäus (FRG/GER)

83 - Javier Zanetti (ARG)

83 - Roberto Carlos (BRA)