Not Worthy Of A Thread

Thespence

US footballer Robbie Rogers comes out as gay and quits football in the same blog post...

http://www.therobbierogers.com/

Wow. Never international-quality, but a serviceable MLS player. Too bad he couldn't get his feet under him at Leeds, might've done okay in the Championship.

Wish he'd stay in the game and try to fight the gay prejudice, but I understand too. Best of luck to the guy.

I really liked him at the Crew early on, thought he had the talent to play regularly for the US. At the end of his time in Columbus he seemed to have lost his way a bit. Disappointing that he comes out on the day he retires, as he could have been a powerful figurehead, but he did come out, which must have taken balls. Good luck to him. Hopefully more will feel confident enough to do so when they're at the top.

US footballer Robbie Rogers comes out as gay and quits football in the same blog post...

http://www.therobbierogers.com/

Wow. Never international-quality, but a serviceable MLS player. Too bad he couldn't get his feet under him at Leeds, might've done okay in the Championship.

Wish he'd stay in the game and try to fight the gay prejudice, but I understand too. Best of luck to the guy.

I really liked him at the Crew early on, thought he had the talent to play regularly for the US. At the end of his time in Columbus he seemed to have lost his way a bit. Disappointing that he comes out on the day he retires, as he could have been a powerful figurehead, but he did come out, which must have taken balls. Good luck to him. Hopefully more will feel confident enough to do so when they're at the top.

:clap: Good stuff, it's a shame he can't continue to play (though you can't really blame him). Hope after some time off he realizes that he's still young and can make a good career for himself, and that he would be an important figure and role model to many others. He always played great whenever I saw him (in the MLS) obviously things didn't go well for him in England. I thought at one point he might have been an important player for the national team. It will be interesting to see the reaction of people who used to play with and against him. I can't remember a player coming out in the middle of his career like this, hopefully its a sign of some progress.

Re: Robbie Rogers. Grant Wahl at SI pointed out that he never mentions retirement in the blog post, just that he's 'stepping away' from the game. Might just be semantics, but sounds like he's leaving the door open.

Granted, it'll be hard for him to get back into the game if he's gone longer than a year or two.

I hope Robbie Rogers eventually returns. It's a shame that he's going to hide away from a sport and profession that he loves because his sexuality.

Yes he's going to get grief for it, and non of us can condone that. I do think though that the sport needs players like him to come out and take the stick for a while so it can become accepted for players to be gay. That statement though is obviosuly far easier for me to say though.

I think for the majority it will only be banter jokes from away fans and nothing malice in it, however you are obviously going to get a few narrow-minded mindless idiots.

Regardless of him coming back or not though fair play to him coming out and best of luck to him. 

Worthy of a thread IMO. The whole issue with gays not coming out in sports, I mean. Not necessarily just this one incident.

Being gay isn't generally an issue in society anymore, unless your from a middle east or eastern country or are a religious nut job.

I think it's a shame so many professional sportsmen are not coming out but it shouldn't and I don't think their sexuality is a big deal, it's being made a big deal because they aren't coming out. Yes as I have already said there will be a few narrow-minded nut jobs making remarks but for the majority nothing will be said and if it is it will only be banter and an alternative to "Your shit" etc, though can the two be compared to one and another?

Are there any prominent pro-homosexual in sport charities about like the Kick it Out stuff?

As much as I want to believe there are many open minded fans about who are enough of a majority to drag us out of the dark ages I still maybe pessimistically believe as soon as a homosexual footballer does something against your side (dive, foul etc..) the homophobic insults would pour out.

It would be nice to believe in 2013 that such things wouldn't be an issue.

It has to become normalised to some extent though. Someone needs to be willing to be the front runner, and quite frankly while it's easy enough for it to be kept under wraps whose going to bother?

It'll take some prominent captain of some big team or something before anything can be achieved.

It has to become normalised to some extent though. Someone needs to be willing to be the front runner, and quite frankly while it's easy enough for it to be kept under wraps whose going to bother?

It'll take some prominent captain of some big team or something before anything can be achieved.

This calls for one thing.

John Terry to have an affair with Ashley Cole.

This calls for one thing.

John Terry to have an affair with Ashley Cole.

:lol:

got utterly bored.  Decided to finally change my ringtone from the default one to this, minus the noise when the ball hits the 4.

:smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I've been looking for this as an MP3 for years, any chance you can link the file?

Also, football clips...tut tut...