Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)

Alby

Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)   

186 members have voted

1. 1. Have you / do you intend to pledge to the 1892 Pledge scheme orchestrated by the NUST?

• Yes
    • No

54 minutes ago, SteV said:

A total free-for-all amongst the fanbase on what the most relevant issues are does not sound like a particularly productive idea.

It would be a platform where anyone can ask questions.  People can vote for questions that matter to them.  If the question gets enough votes then it will be asked to the club.  So a "total free for all" where any fan (whether they pay for a membership to a trust or not) can get a voice to the club if others have the same concern sounds like a very good idea to me.

The trust just feels like a tool that was necessary for a club who's ownership was not open to dialog and hand needed to be forced.  

If the club is open and actively looking for input why do that with a middle man that asks for a fee for that privilege?  Why not provide a transparent platform direct to the fans for this?

I do think the Trust should consider all fans and engage with them in some way, rather than focusing only on members. Every fan is a stakeholder in one way or another. 

Would also help to engage more people and add more members. 

28 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Not sure you have much chance of getting elected to a Trust on the platform of disbanding it :lol:

It's not all about saving fans money anyway. 

Thats the thing.  You would not.  And if I went to an elected member of the board and asked them to do a survey of the members to see whether they would like to approach the club with this idea I bet they would not.  

Why not?  As it is not self serving.  So ultimately with a trust there is a filter of the what the club is approach with due to the trust members own opinions.

edit - there is even a filter on what they will ask their members.  

Edited by KetsbaiaIsBald

4 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I do think the Trust should consider all fans and engage with them in some way, rather than focusing only on members. Every fan is a stakeholder in one way or another. 

Would also help to engage more people and add more members. 

I agree.  But how does the trust get a list of people who are not fans of other clubs/bad actors?  If there is no payment firewall they can't.  The only people who have a list of trusted people who should get a voice is the club itself - the members and season ticket holders (even this excludes some people so maybe also people who have bought tickets in a period of time).

Edited by KetsbaiaIsBald

13 minutes ago, KetsbaiaIsBald said:

It would be a platform where anyone can ask questions.  People can vote for questions that matter to them.  If the question gets enough votes then it will be asked to the club.  So a "total free for all" where any fan (whether they pay for a membership to a trust or not) can get a voice to the club if others have the same concern sounds like a very good idea to me.

The trust just feels like a tool that was necessary for a club who's ownership was not open to dialog and hand needed to be forced.  

If the club is open and actively looking for input why do that with a middle man that asks for a fee for that privilege?  Why not provide a transparent platform direct to the fans for this?

Dream world unfortunately.

If you have a platform that allows virtually anyone (ok you’re limiting it to ST holders and members) to put forward what questions/issues should be raised with the club, which all have to get voted on, you’re going to lose the sensible/relevant questions in a sea of idiotic/pointless ones.

Like it or not, and we all have our views on the Trust and various people on the board, you need that “middle man” in some form or other to give a semblance of organisation and cohesion that the club feels it can work with.

12 minutes ago, SteV said:

Dream world unfortunately.

If you have a platform that allows virtually anyone (ok you’re limiting it to ST holders and members) to put forward what questions/issues should be raised with the club, which all have to get voted on, you’re going to lose the sensible/relevant questions in a sea of idiotic/pointless ones.

Like it or not, and we all have our views on the Trust and various people on the board, you need that “middle man” in some form or other to give a semblance of organisation and cohesion that the club feels it can work with.

I disagree.  These are just challenges that can be solved without a middle man.  These challenges are solved by multiple platforms with varying degrees of success.  Twitter likes, reddit up/down votes, stack overflow reputation.  You will never filter all noise, it will never be perfect but you can reduce it to the point to make a platform useful.  

You can also use other channels to promote an idea.  Someone here could promote a question.  Here you get the visibility of people.  The different clans of supporters clubs could ask their members to up vote.

What we have at the moment:

- is a trust that has failed a few times to actually voice even their own members opinions (or even ask them)

- other groups attempting to get into the game

- some people who cannot even have a voice as they cannot afford to join a trust

Edited by KetsbaiaIsBald

10 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Yeah, engagement with the club's members and ST holders would be a good start. I think bad actors would be a small issue though. 

Bad actors in the most part would be ok.  But can depend on the thing being raised.  It takes a question to become "viral" on a rivals board/twitter to be ruined.  I do agree for the most part in terms of specific issues raised it would be ok as people would just not care.  

2 minutes ago, KetsbaiaIsBald said:

What we have at the moment:

- is a trust that has failed a few times to actually voice even their own members opinions (or even ask them)

- other groups attempting to get into the game

- some people who cannot even have a voice as they cannot afford to join a trust

First point - fair enough, a lot of people share that opinion. However, I don’t agree the answer is to completely disband it and replace it with something akin to who can get the most Facebook likes gets to ask a question of the club.

Second point - assume you’re referring to the new Supporters Club? I see no reason why that can’t exist alongside the Trust, focussing on largely different areas (yeah, OK, we’re probably all a bit sceptical about that, but we’ll see).

Third point - it costs one pound to joint the Trust. Everyone can afford it.

2 minutes ago, SteV said:

First point - fair enough, a lot of people share that opinion. However, I don’t agree the answer is to completely disband it and replace it with something akin to who can get the most Facebook likes gets to ask a question of the club.

I will be more diplomatic then.  I believe the trust should be actively working to reduce the types of things that they are currently engaging with the club.  They should be encourage the club to provide better direct platforms that would allow the fan base to directly communicate with the club.  From a Trust perspective this would not necessarily be in their interests but for the overall supporter base it could be.  

Where the "Facebook likes" thing can be good or bad is how the topics are raised.  

- If the platform promotes "I think the club should sell popcorn and scrap burgers".  It is bad.  You're voting for the solution.

- It should push for concerns to be raised like "I have a concern over fan experience due to availability of food choices....".   go into depth about the issues, touch on a number of potential solutions .   The Facebook likes is promoting the point to discuss it.

The outcome I would then be direct discussion with the club, getting more options on board and then potentially reaching out to fans for feed back or trialing something.  

On 04/06/2023 at 09:42, NSG said:

So I’ve decided to put myself forward for the NUST board elections. I would appreciate any votes that would come my way - the election is going to be this week I think, expecting more info to be released soon. Happy to chat with anyone unsure on whether to send their vote my way or not.

Fully expecting a bit of stick on here (gonna win da leeg), but hopefully those who know me from NOFC days can vouch I’m not that bad :lol: 

Here’s my personal statement that will go with my application for anyone interested. 

Can you please pm your name. Just so I know I’m voting for the right guy. 😉

On 04/06/2023 at 09:42, NSG said:

So I’ve decided to put myself forward for the NUST board elections. I would appreciate any votes that would come my way - the election is going to be this week I think, expecting more info to be released soon. Happy to chat with anyone unsure on whether to send their vote my way or not.

Fully expecting a bit of stick on here (gonna win da leeg), but hopefully those who know me from NOFC days can vouch I’m not that bad :lol: 

Here’s my personal statement that will go with my application for anyone interested. 

Today is the last day to cast your vote, and I’d be really grateful if anyone still on the fence would consider sending a vote my way :thup: 

14 hours ago, NSG said:

Today is the last day to cast your vote, and I’d be really grateful if anyone still on the fence would consider sending a vote my way :thup: 

Voted for you earlier in the week. Good luck 👍🏻

3 hours ago, NSG said:

Thanks everyone for your votes, I really appreciate it.

Unfortunately I didn’t get elected, but always next time. 

What was the final count?

1 minute ago, jack j said:

2 People from loaded mag

Not that I've got a clue what that is mind

It’s a bit unfortunate that people that are associated with a fanzine/podcast or whatever outlet that gives them some degree of ‘exposure’, are always going to be at an advantage when attempting to court votes.

Can’t really see a way round that though, unless the election was just based on anonymous statements. That seems a bit daft though.

1 minute ago, SteV said:

It’s a bit unfortunate that people that are associated with a fanzine/podcast or whatever outlet that gives them some degree of ‘exposure’, are always going to be at an advantage when attempting to court votes.

Can’t really see a way round that though, unless the election was just based on anonymous statements. That seems a bit daft though.

One of them  is also on a podcast called FTM...

Edited by jack j

Results:

Pete Davey – 822 votes (Elected)

Felicity Thow – 799 votes (Elected)

Lisa Mole – 771 votes (Elected)

Adam Stoker – 762 votes (Elected)

Olivia Thomson – 756 votes (Elected)

Kevin Patterson – 639 votes (Elected)

Sam Dalling – 535 votes

Steve Lowthian – 502 votes

Stephen Ord – 485 votes

Nick Kane – 474 votes

Steve Binks – 431 votes

Jonathan (Jon) Lane – 334 votes

Richard Barnsdall – 252 votes

Abstain - 108

15 hours ago, NSG said:

Thanks everyone for your votes, I really appreciate it.

Unfortunately I didn’t get elected, but always next time. 

Whore yourself on every podcast, chum up with Steve Wraith and co and write a few articles for True Faith and you’ll be chairman of the board this time next year Rodders.

In all seriousness, thanks for putting yourself forward and better luck next time :thup: