How's it going for the players who left Newcastle?

LoveItIfWeBeatU

The failed transfer of Bergkamp to Barça is second in my list of "historic Barça transfer fuckups" after losing Ronaldo to Inter. Cruyff wanted him as Laudrup's replacement when Bergkamp was struggling at Inter but our president (there was a growing rift between them at the time), failed to meet their asking price.

Interesting that you cite Ashton as an "arty forward" kind of guy, when I saw him play he always looked like the quintessential Shearer-type forward to me.

I've said it once and I'll say it again. He could have been as good, and as successful as Bergkamp.

Don't be daft man.

I'm not man, I dont say it lightly either. I put Dennis above a lot of players, but I think if Viduka had been arsed, and stayed fit he'd have been something exceptional.

They're both different kinds of players though. Viduka obviously had more of a physical presence and in his prime was more than just a link up man. Bergkamp's technique is the best I've seen in the Premiership too. Can't think of anyone who could player that killer pass like Dennis.

Ah wey. I see them as the same type, the arty forward. Like Berbatov, Sheringham, even someone like Ashton. I'd have Viduka and Bergkamp in that bracket.

Bergkamp's the classic deep lying number 10. (Even though he wore number 8 for Holland) Those you mentioned play nothing like Bergkamp. Berbatov is the one who comes close in style but he was still nothing like Bergkamp.

Guest firetotheworks

I've said it once and I'll say it again. He could have been as good, and as successful as Bergkamp.

Don't be daft man.

I'm not man, I dont say it lightly either. I put Dennis above a lot of players, but I think if Viduka had been arsed, and stayed fit he'd have been something exceptional.

They're both different kinds of players though. Viduka obviously had more of a physical presence and in his prime was more than just a link up man. Bergkamp's technique is the best I've seen in the Premiership too. Can't think of anyone who could player that killer pass like Dennis.

Ah wey. I see them as the same type, the arty forward. Like Berbatov, Sheringham, even someone like Ashton. I'd have Viduka and Bergkamp in that bracket.

Bergkamp's the classic deep lying number 10. (Even though he wore number 8 for Holland) Those you mentioned play nothing like Bergkamp. Berbatov is the one who comes close in style but he was still nothing like Bergkamp.

That's fair enough, but I'm talking more about their style. There are similarities in all of those players, notably their uncanny ability to get out of tight spots, usually by outsmarting as well as out-muscling, their majestic kind of skill, the way they see things, and carry it out in a certain way, Basically the all round classy way that they play football.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/124838/Fall-guy-Habib-Beye-in-Villa-Quit-threat/

FALL GUY HABIB BEYE IN VILLA QUIT THREAT

4th March 2010

By Steve Goodman

HABIB Beye last night declared his aim to quit Aston Villa – barely seven months ­after joining them.

The Senegal defender, a £2.5m buy from Newcastle, has made just five Premier League appearances for Martin O’Neill’s side.

France-born Beye, 32, had previously been a first-team regular since 1998 with Strasbourg, Marseille and the Toon.

But he has now fallen behind Carlos ­Cuellar, Richard Dunne, James Collins and Luke Young in the Carling Cup finalists’ pecking order.

“Things are not going too well for me at Villa,” centre-back Beye fumed. “I have only played in 10 games in all ­competitions."

“This is the first time in 12 years I’ve had a season like this – and it is not easy for me to put up with.

I am 32, I feel in good physical shape and I don’t see myself sitting on the bench.

If I can’t express myself as a footballer with Aston Villa, it will be elsewhere.

I have always been important, to a ­greater or lesser degree, at every club where I’ve played.

It is the manager’s choice. You have to respect his decisions even if you don’t ­accept them, as he is the sole captain of the ship.” Beye now hopes to join ­another Premier League club during the summer.

French clubs don’t punch at the same weight as ­English ones when it comes to salaries,” he said.

“Returning to France would be complicated for me.

The wages in England are twice as high and I can’t see a French club investing that much money in a ­player.

I’d consider an ­interesting challenge in France but the salary is the problem.”

Guest BooBoo

Greedy swine should learn the grass isn't always greener. Surely he would have got more satisfaction from being a regular for us this season than rotting on Villas bench.

Don't be daft man.

TBH............Bergkamp = Beardsley.............nearst I have seen to the dutchman, certainly not Viduka

Guest firetotheworks

Arshavin = Beardsley

I bet Beye wishes he'd went to Hull now. Hahaha, fucking Hull.

Guest Stephen927

He hasn't been good for them when given a chance, what does he expect. Didn't O'Neil play NRC at right back a few times this season?

Greedy swine should learn the grass isn't always greener. Surely he would have got more satisfaction from being a regular for us this season than rotting on Villas bench.

probally getting paid near enough the same as well.

As much as I like Simpson I think Beye is a more effective player, he like Enrique on the left would have been head and shoulders above any other RB in the Championship and playing regular. To be fair a team like Villa calling for his services would have been hard to turn down.

At the end of the day, Simpson has done an above adequate job for us and likely for less money. Plus, he's at the beginning of his career and not the end.

I loved Beye when he was here, but I don't feel sorry for him. We're better off and he's worse off. Good riddance.

I agree, but I can only assume he was sold on going to Villa by being told he'd be first choice - in which case he's got every right to be annoyed. If that didn't happen, fuck him.