Robert Enke

Liam Liam Liam O

don't want to sound like a pathetic s***, but in chat theres a jokes thread.  Surely if you want to make shitty witicisms, do it until your hearts content in there.  No need to go posting them in a condolence thread.

I agree, keep this message on track!

I find suicide terribly sad. Life isn't that much, but it's all we've got.

Losing your 2 year old child must be an awful experience. I can't imagine that you're in the right frame of mind to adopt another child so soon afterwards. It can only remind you.

That must have been devastating  to recover from such a tragedy is an incredible battle.

---

"Robert Enke died today in an accident," a media officer for the Niedersachsen Police told Reuters. "First indications point to suicide."

He was 32 years of age.

Hanover president Martin Kind was returning from a meeting with the German FA on Tuesday when he was telephoned with the news.

"You expect many things, but not something like that," he said. "I do not know how and why it happened, but I do not think that it had anything to do with football."

Enke's two-year-old daughter Lara died two years ago from a heart defect.

The German FA stated: "The German team has learned of the death of Robert Enke with great shock. National team coach Joachim Loew and manager Oliver Bierhoff said 'we are all shocked, we are speechless'."

Enke became Germany's number one goalkeeper when Jens Lehmann retired after Euro 2008 but had just returned from a bacterial bowel infection which ruled him out of his country's last four games.

He played in Hanover's 2-2 draw with Hamburg at the weekend but was not selected for the upcoming friendlies against Chile and Ivory Coast.

Loew said he was still his first choice for the World Cup in South Africa next year, and Eurosport

quite shocking news, he must have been in a very bad place to end up doing this, more so to say as him and his wife had just adopted. i can't imagine the hell he's been through losing a child. RIP. best wishes and condolensces to his family, really horrible news

feel sorry for his missus really. it must take balls to hoy yourself in front of a train so i wont call him a coward, but its harsh on the ones he left behind - especially the adopted replacement daughter.

Shame he couldn't be strong for them.

As for bringing up soldiers deaths in comparison is nothing short of retarded; this is a football forum, no explanation is necessary.  :idiot2:

feel sorry for his missus really. it must take balls to hoy yourself in front of a train so i wont call him a coward, but its harsh on the ones he left behind - especially the adopted replacement daughter.

Shame he couldn't be strong for them.

As for bringing up soldiers deaths in comparison is nothing short of retarded; this is a football forum, no explanation is necessary.  :idiot2:

That's why I specifically mentioned General Chat.

Let it go.

KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHN!

Sorry.  Really sad news, very similar case to some jury service I did a couple of years ago too.

Reminds me of America NBA player Eddie Griffin , who comitted suicide by sitting in his car on train the tracks until the train came. He was burned so badly they could not recognise the body. That wasn't really surprising though. He was troubled. Had severe alcohol/drug problems and had gotten into a car accident while pleasuring himself.

Enke, on the other hand, seemed to be relatively stable and headed in the right direction in his career.

He wasn't though, and that's the point. He was diagnosed as clinically depressed as early as 2003, but it was kept quiet because they were worried about the public reaction, as well as the possibility that it might lead to him losing his kids. What a mess.

As a contrast, I can't remember what the reaction was to Trescothick's problems, initially, but he seems to have been given a lot of time to come to terms with it by the public and media.

KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHN!

Sorry.  Really sad news, very similar case to some jury service I did a couple of years ago too.

Reminds me of America NBA player Eddie Griffin , who comitted suicide by sitting in his car on train the tracks until the train came. He was burned so badly they could not recognise the body. That wasn't really surprising though. He was troubled. Had severe alcohol/drug problems and had gotten into a car accident while pleasuring himself.

Enke, on the other hand, seemed to be relatively stable and headed in the right direction in his career.

He wasn't though, and that's the point. He was diagnosed as clinically depressed as early as 2003, but it was kept quiet because they were worried about the public reaction, as well as the possibility that it might lead to him losing his kids. What a mess.

As a contrast, I can't remember what the reaction was to Trescothick's problems, initially, but he seems to have been given a lot of time to come to terms with it by the public and media.

Had no idea he had such severe problems into now. It seems the problems actually started with his lack of success at Barcelona and other clubs on the continent. I suppose these were only cpmpounded by the death of his child.