Newcastle United 2 - 0 Watford - 05/12/09 - post match reaction from page 19

Dave

GG - Is it correct that you lot are playing QPR on Monday? Not much time between the two games.

Indeed. It could go two ways. We could beat them as they fail to get over their Boro thrashing, or it comes so soon they bound back immediately. Hmmm.

GG - Is it correct that you lot are playing QPR on Monday? Not much time between the two games.

Indeed. It could go two ways. We could beat them as they fail to get over their Boro thrashing, or it comes so soon they bound back immediately. Hmmm.

draw it is then.

While I don't always agree with Hughton's substitutions at least he doesn't wait until it's too late to make any difference to actually use his subs. Unlike many so called managers with more experience who have gone before him.

has it been mantioned how bad a refereeing performance was that ? not biased either way, taylor plays a chip up then charges at the man leading with his arm and we end up with a free kick on the edge of the box, nicky butt slides in for a deliberate foul but cant muster the dstrength to actually bring the player down, ref waves play on but doesn't go back and book butt. ref warns wtaford player for throwing down jonas three times yet on neither occasion gives a free kick.

taylor's challenge!! linesman saw it but ref missed it and didnt realise he was waving his flag. am sure taylor may have been given a red. silly challenge.

Guest toonlass

Harper - 8 - Saved by Taylor on 10 minutes when Graham got past him, but made some quality saves too. Shows what an asset we had on the bench behind Given.

Simpson - 6.5 - Did alright again

Taylor - 7.5 - Saved Harper with his goal line clearance, looks solid and assured at the back

Coloccini - 7 - When he keeps his game simple he looks great, solid partnership with Taylor

Enrique - 8 - This lad takes the piss in this league, nice bit of showboating and makes some excellent chances too

Guthrie - 5.5 - Didn't look in the game today

Nolan - 5.5 - Was ok but should have been more careful after being booked

Smith - 7 - Found his level, solid in midfield, amusing dive to win back the ball

Jonas - 8 - Links up superbly with Enrique, more intelligent play from him today

Harewood - 6 - Chased the ball down fior the first but toothless otherwise. Very lazy player at times

Lovenkrands - 7 - Got his goal, nearly got a second just after the restart, am happy with his performance

Carroll - 6 - Needs to stay on his feet, and the ref told him the same, I would start him upfront with Lovenkrands for the next game

Butt - 5.5 - Meh. Same old Nicky Butt for me

Pancrate - 8.5 - Pacey, gets into space, can cross and bloody hell what a goal (I can't wait to see it on the telly later). Looks like a canny signing. And did I mention what a bloody good goal he scored.

The crowd was great after the sending off and really got behind the lads when we went down to 10 men and were jubilant went Pancrate's goal went in

Good ball from Jonas to Pancrate for the goal btw.

Good performance over 90 mins tbf. His hard work is probably appreciated by his team mates even if he doesn't always deliver the end product.

I feel sorry for Guthrie having to play right wing as his lack of pace clearly undermines his ability there...with Nolan out we should see him get a crack in the centre...

Nolan looked off the pace right from the start so the late tackles were no surprise...the first yellow looked soft but his second made up for it...better 2 yellows than a straight red...

Jonas put in a massive shift in first half, and felt it in the second, but he really impressed today despite lacking the ability to strike the ball...

Was Carroll wearing plimsols? i swear he spent more time on his arse today than on his feet...though a couple of shocking dives were throw in for good measure...defensively sound though, understands the philosophy of getting rid of the ball from corners!

Overall, a win is a win, and with Pele back soon, so the goals should flow a litte easier...we have some degree of squad depth (apart from defence) so lets see if we can maintain this gap over xmas!

Guest firetotheworks

Ive got to say, Hughton on this occasion didnt just make decent changes, but for me made insightful ones. Perhaps beyond what I would have expected from him.

I'm celebrating being 10 points clear but am still very concerned. The gap between our first team and reserves is too big. The first team is good enough to bring us back to the Premiership but if a few key players get injured, our 2nd team will not be good enough to sustain the momentum. We still need a striker who can score regularly at the Championship level. Carrol and Ranger have good attributes but neither are regular scorers. No telling how Ameobi will perform on his return. So far we've been lucky that Nolan has been compensating from midfield, but I fear that is more down to a rich vein of form than real ability, form which might just disappear the way it appeared out of nowhere. Then of course there is the fear of players like Enrique, Jonas, Colo, Nolan leaving. It's good that they are all saying they are committed to the cause but wait till the Premiership clubs roll out those dollar signs contract! Remember Beye & his love for the club?!

Guest Heneage

The Ref was a bit iffy I thought, the league does itself no favours putting a referee on who is from this region, especially one deemed a 'Mackem'.

Harper    8- Match winning saves at the end of the day, the one point blank that he saved with his foot was Premier league standard.

Simpson 7- Solid performance, it would be nice to see him behind a natural winger like Enrique has, I think his attacking threat is harnassed by Guthrie.

Taylor    7- Did well as usual but cocked up one header that almost lead to a goal, clearly a step above this league.

Coloccini 7- Very calm did well with a few one on ones can't fault him.

Enrique  7.5- His bombing down the wing is such a threat and should really be encouraged, our left side is incredibly dangerous.

Guthrie 6.5- Just not a winger, seems better as a deep lying midfielder picking the ball up and knocking it long, his switch of the play was a joy to watch, I think he needs to up his game though.

Smith 7- Totlly petrified watching him tackle and go up for headers, partly due to his stupidity partly due to the reputation he has.

Nolan 6.5 I couldn't tell if it was a red, but to go sliding in like that was daft anyway, when you are on a yellow you need to be careful, and he gave the ref a hard decision.

Jonas 7- Iffy game, he looked good at times but weaker when we went to 10 men, clearly enjoys playing along side Enrique.

Harewood 6.5- Did well for the goal, but he's such a fairy with his touch, he's a massive guy who rarely employees his strength, and would appear has accepted he won't be kept on.

Lovenkrands 7, he scored, which I loved, but he also did more than enough chasing and closing down, shae his strike partner is a lazy so and so.

Subs

Carroll 6.5 - Mixed bag, his hold up and dribbling was good enough, but going down all the time did him no favours and the ref was having none of it, needs to remove that from his game.

Pancrate 12 - Reinvented football. But on a serious note, he looked a danger and took his goal very well, does look a little overweight but extra sessions can fix that.

Also, Helguson is utter dross.

Guest Heneage

Sorry where are they getting this 'We domninated' from? The second half they had more of the possession and chances but rightly so they had an extra man, in the first half they looked toothless and it was all us. It was a very even game in all honesty, they could and should have buried there chances, it's nothing to do with luck, you just have some appauling strikers on your books, Helguson missed an absolute sitter of a header, I seem to remember that was his strength.