Danny Simpson (Premier League Champion)

Guest toonlass

Don't think Simpson is the most naturally talented full back in the PL but his performances this season have been up there with the best of them in my opinion. compared to Ryan Taylor who defensively has been alright in some games but shocking in others, I don't think i've seen simpson put in one bad performance (although i haven't watched every game we have played). He is never going to set the world alight offensively, and he's not as good a defender as Enrique, but he is dependable and consistent and probably about the level we are currently performing to. He may not as attractive as players like Colo and Santon, but i think we have right back covered for the time being (was extremely impressed with the Simpson - Taylor right wing against man u (i think)).

He can do alright defensively but he's shocking going forward. Ideal situation would be to sign LB and move Santon to right. Then keep Simpson and Raylor as cover with Tavernier developing. I just think that Danny has quite high opinion of himself and wouldn't accept it and that's why I wouldn't bother if he leaves and Tavernier keeps developing. But everything comes down to us signing a good LB and that's more than questionable.

He's not fantastic but he gives 100% every game and he's made a few crucial goal-line blocks over this season as well. Fair enough I don't think he's the sort of player who's going to help us move forward and he's never going to set the world alight, but he does deserve a new contract based on his commitment and the fact that he's been ever-present for us since he first joined the club whilst putting in a hell of a lot more reliable games than 'shockers'. He's nee Perch for God's sake. On top of that he can provide decent squad cover if we do sign a better right full-back in the summer, it's not like Simpson's going to stretch our wage budget so hopefully we can get him signed on for another few years.

He's the worst 'footballer' regularly starting for us, that's for sure. Defensively can be quite solid.

I agree with this, I think he's defensively, a mid-team PL defender. I think as a footballer he's not really PL standard. I would be happy for him to be second in line because I don't think his game will dramatically improve over the next few years

@Ronaldo

I don't agree. Simpson is a terrible footballer. All he does is hoof it down the line when he has it, but you can't have a worse footballing brain than someone who doesn't actually have one. Equally bad, but I don't see him as any worse in that respect.

@Ronaldo

I don't agree. Simpson is a terrible footballer. All he does is hoof it down the line when he has it, but you can't have a worse footballing brain than someone who doesn't actually have one. Equally bad, but I don't see him as any worse in that respect.

Agree. Both are terrible. 

Simpson has to, at times, do the work of 2 players on the right wing when Obertan plays in front of him like (because Obertan essentially does nothing attacking-wise and defending-wise these days).

Guest neesy111

Simpson has to, at times, do the work of 2 players on the right wing when Obertan plays in front of him like (because Obertan essentially does nothing attacking-wise and defending-wise these days).

Rubbish.

Obertan has the skill with the ball, he just has a fucking awful brain and lacks any form of decisiveness in the final third. Simpson on the other hand has absolutely no footballing ability whatsoever, and that's why he resorts to punting it down the line more often than not.

Rubbish.

The way I see it is that Obertan is frustrating as f*** and does nothing when he gets close to the box so I sometimes think that Simpson tries to do more than he should really. As in it's usually Simpson who does all the crossing/deliveries from the right wing instead of Obertan. More often than not, Obertan simply just passes the ball back to Simpson instead of crossing himself.

Simpson still needs to work on his attacking play though, his crosses are hit and miss.

I definitely wouldn't sell Simpson for that money, it's not much and would unsettle our back four. I guess the contract situation complicates things though.

18months contract along with him not being that good of a footballer along with him leaving will not unsettle the back 4 since Santon is there now so isnt the same as start of season. Hes the weakest player in our XI when Obertan aint playing. Why should we not sell him for £4m?? 

Think there are a few major glares in Danny's game, but one thing can't be said about his effort, commitment and those beautiful goal line clearances. Those alone have saved us some crucial points

Once again a difference in football cultures. You guys seem to prasie effort and commitment completely ignoring the fact hes a terrible defender with a terrible offensive and defensive technique.

Simpsons been solid enough for me recently, is clearly improving defensively.

Hes also gradually improving his crossing & has created a few goals this season. No reason to sell.

I agree, offers f*ck all going forward but he's clearly improving defensively...... possibly in the long term shouldnt be first choice for us but iam happy with him being a squad player.