Danny Simpson (Premier League Champion)

Guest toonlass

Guthrie is one of the least athletic professional sportspeople I've ever seen. No need to post a picture of Shola, that's a given.

Even if it's this picture?

http://i39.tinypic.com/4jrr4g.png

Guthrie is one of the least athletic professional sportspeople I've ever seen. No need to post a picture of Shola, that's a given.

Guthrie has the build of a snooker player. He, Stephen Lee and Fergal O'Brien should be sharing a Victoria Sponge over tea after a few frames.

Even though he f***ed up. Guthrie was a bit lazy in not tracking the run.

I was screaming at the telly, fucking still fuming about him just standing outside and letting the fucker pass him like thin air. GET RID

Guest neesy111

Guthrie has the build of a snooker player. He, Stephen Lee and Fergal O'Brien should be sharing a Victoria Sponge over tea after a few frames.

:lol:

http://www.sportinglife.com/pictures/general/allsportdrago03smiles.jpg

Saw him in person once, his face is like a blowfish.

Not his fault like, we can't all be chiseled mofos.

Anyway, back to slating Simpson...

Here man, are we talking the throw-in here? It was 95 yards away from our goal  :lol: We still could have quite easily dealt with it.

I realise scapegoats are cool though.

If he'd played the ball properly, we would have held the ball up 30 more seconds and not conceded.

Not really a scapegoat.

He's not a scapegoat. Think back to the sequence...we have a somewhat promising attack...Simpson receives the ball in an area where he can cross or pass back to a more competent player in the centre, he instead runs into the corner earning a throw...from this position, Simpson has two options: Throwing it long at the targetman in the box, or short to Shola, who can either waste time or attempt to continue possession/the attack. He instead throws it directly at two Arsenal players, initiating a counter attack where several of our players are waiting in attacking positions. It is very poor play that will lead to danger in any period of the game.

It is a shame, I thought he was very good otherwise.

Here man, are we talking the throw-in here? It was 95 yards away from our goal  :lol: We still could have quite easily dealt with it.

I realise scapegoats are cool though.

If he'd played the ball properly, we would have held the ball up 30 more seconds and not conceded.

Not really a scapegoat.

Not with hindsight comfortably in place anyway.

He's not a scapegoat. Think back to the sequence...we have a somewhat promising attack...Simpson receives the ball in an area where he can cross or pass back to a more competent player in the centre, he instead runs into the corner earning a throw...from this position, Simpson has two options: Throwing it long at the targetman in the box, or short to Shola, who can either waste time or attempt to continue possession/the attack. He instead throws it directly at two Arsenal players, initiating a counter attack where several of our players are waiting in attacking positions. It is very poor play that will lead to danger in any period of the game.

It is a shame, I thought he was very good otherwise.

Agreed, even by taking the throw then losing possession he puts himself out of position and has a lot of work to do. You often see teams who have a throw in passing the ball between players before taking it, usually this is to let the winger take the throw, allowing the fullback to be in position should the team lose the ball from the throw.

Aside from that, didn't he make two of his goal-line saves/clearances tonight?

Overall (for 94 minutes anyway), thought it was one of his better games. He certainly kept Oxlade-Chamberlain quiet for most of the match and made some crucial goal line clearances (not that it matters now).

However, that throw-in was shite and definitely pressurised us which indirectly led to his Arsenal's goal. People can argue against it as much as they want but Simpson's throw-in started a chain of events. Could have thrown it to Shola straightaway imo, I would have been confident of Shola holding up/keeping the ball if he had received it.

Sorry Danny but Arsenal's winner was primarily your fault. Absolute shame for him like - he did have a decent game.

Who'd have thought that Simpson throwing the ball away would lead to Arsenal getting the ball back and attacking our under protected defence? Out of the blue that one.

http://i39.tinypic.com/3094jmw.jpg

Top right. If he did have cramp then why is he so far forward, knowing he couldn't possibly get back?

Because we were committing players forward in a well-meaning attempt to win the game. Which would be all well and good, except for the fact that Simpson decided to be retarded with the throw-in. Just an all-around terrible loss of concentration.

As bad as Simpson's thrown was a more significant question to me is, why did we feel the need to pile so many bodies into the Arsenal half so late on? It was reckless to say the very least.

It's a crapshot either way. I would've been angry if we hadn't at least made an attempt to score in what looked like the last possession of the game.

Pardew was probably the most gutted out of anyone when he saw us concede. Made a gamble that didn't pay off.

Guest Rey Mysterio

Back in the days when you all rated Simpson, someone on here once told me he was "better at throw ins than Enrique". Bizarre comment to make in the first place, hope you were watching last night whoever it was!

Thought he played well to be honest against very good forwards, lapse of concentration at the end aside. If the game had finished at 93mins at 1-1 he'd have been a man of the match contender. But lets not get in the way of a good scape goat, Manc bastard.

More than anything that photo shows Guthrie having stopped.  The final error in that chain of errors.

Absolutely. How he didn't charge into that area to at least put their players off, having just come on, makes me furious. I'm not blaming him for the goal, as you say it was a chain of errors. But it is quite telling when we have such levels of concentration. We defended for our lives, but make no mistake, Arsenal would have punished us if it wasn't for their atrocious finishing on the night. There was panic throughout the side 2nd half bar Krul.

Simpson wasn't as bad as usual last night, but if he were to stay at this club, he should be no more than backup at RB.