The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"Most of my working life has been spent in the passionate football hotbeds of Liverpool and Glasgow. But for crazy, intense, obsessive and undiluted devotion to just one club in the whole city, there is nothing to compare with Newcastle-upon-Tyne".

"Of course, Celtic and Liverpool fans are just as passionate about their team as Newcastle’s supporters — that goes for Rangers and Everton, too, by the way — but the bond between city and club is special at St James’ Park because it is the only club in town".

I think that was what Lee Ryder was trying to articulate on Talksport earlier in the week that so offended their listeners.

That's a good article. It also shows how much we're dependent on Hughton's ability to hold everything together.

Eh? It's by Kenny Daglish, man. He's speculating like the rest of us.

Good article. Agree with most of it, but there's nowt new in there.

That's a good article. It also shows how much we're dependent on Hughton's ability to hold everything together.

Eh? It's by Kenny Daglish, man. He's speculating like the rest of us.

Good article. Agree with most of it, but there's nowt new in there.

its nice to see someone actually write well for once rather than just reach for the usual cliches on newcastle

Guest guinness_fiend

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1325195/Kenny-Dalglish-Managing-Newcastle-crazy-Chris-Hughton-finding-out.html

Managing Newcastle is crazy, as Chris Hughton is now finding out

Last updated at 10:28 PM on 30th October 2010

Most of my working life has been spent in the passionate football hotbeds of Liverpool and Glasgow. But for crazy, intense, obsessive and undiluted devotion to just one club in the whole city, there is nothing to compare with Newcastle-upon-Tyne.

In 1998, as Newcastle United manager, I took them to the FA Cup final, made a couple of important signings (Didi Hamann, Nobby Solano) in the summer and started the following season with a couple of draws. Then I was sacked — still unbeaten!

Was I surprised? The answer, in all honesty, is no. Because in Newcastle-upon-Tyne you have to expect the unexpected and the gossip, rumour mill and speculation run just as feverishly when times are good as when they are bad.

Plenty has happened since 1998. Even the owners at Newcastle United are different. The Hall family and Freddy Shepherd have gone, Mike Ashley is in.

But some things never seem to change so while it would be extraordinary for a manager anywhere else to be under pressure for winning promotion and going straight into the top half of the Premier League, normal rules don’t apply at St James’ Park, as Chris Hughton is finding out ahead of the famous Tyne-Wear derby today.

I have to stress at this point that I absolutely loved my time at Newcastle. If any manager or coach was offered the chance to work there, I’d say in a flash: ‘Take It’. The excitement and atmosphere around the place is unique.

Of course, Celtic and Liverpool fans are just as passionate about their team as Newcastle’s supporters — that goes for Rangers and Everton, too, by the way — but the bond between city and club is special at St James’ Park because it is the only club in town.

The stadium is only a few minutes’ walk from the main shopping streets and even in the height of summer with no football match to look forward to, everyone still walks around in the black-and-white stripes, proud to be associated with their team.

The irony, of course, is that this constant microscope probably works against the club in many ways. Kevin Keegan felt the pressure when his great team of David Ginola and Les Ferdinand came close to winning the title in 1995-96 (he resigned the following season), so what chance did any other manager have?

For all this wonderful support, the flip-side is the machinations behind the scenes and in the city, which always seem to lead to Newcastle shooting themselves in the foot when things are going well. From what I’ve been hearing about Chris Hughton and his future, history might be about to repeat itself.

Chris stepped in at the worst time in the club’s recent history, relegated from the Premier League with everyone predicting the Toon were about to ‘do a Leeds United’ and plunge even further.

It seemed unlikely that two Argentinian internationals, Fabio Coloccini and Jonas Gutierrez, would fancy the slog of a 46-game season in the Championship. Kevin Nolan’s desire was questioned and as for Joey Barton, it seemed if he wasn’t injured, he was getting into trouble.

Somehow, the quiet dignity of Hughton suited what this brashest of clubs needed at the time. Coloccini, Gutierrez and Nolan were magnificent last season. So were Andy Carroll, goalkeeper Steve Harper and many others as Newcastle won the division by a street. Barton has flourished this season in the top flight, showing the form that once won him England recognition.

At any other club, Hughton would be given a big pay hike, the stability of a long-term contract and maybe a quid or two to spend on new players to help Newcastle preserve their status in the Premier League.

None of that seems to have happened at the moment and Chris has even lost his No2, Colin Calderwood, to Hibs. Now, if Calderwood harboured an ambition to try management again, that’s unavoidable, but if it was because Newcastle couldn’t match the SPL club’s wages, that’s a worrying sign.

Likewise, I don’t know Hughton’s salary but I can’t imagine it competes with other top-flight managers. By stalling on giving him a new deal, the Newcastle hierarchy have invited speculation about his future, even if that wasn’t their intention.

The remarkable thing is that it hasn’t impacted on the team. The new-boys have put six past Aston Villa, won at Everton and were unlucky at Manchester City. It’s incredible to think what they could achieve given stability off the field.

But that’s not really the way it happens at Newcastle. Personally, I can’t think of any manager they could appoint who would deliver better value for money than Hughton, whose operations on a relative shoestring have been extremely impressive.

That would count for a lot at 91 of the 92 League clubs. But Newcastle is different, for better or worse.

some assumptions in there but overall an interesting read

Nice read, that.  He's still an arse though, but only because of this:

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/8272/798564-1117994594_01_large.png

You stole my youth, you weegie shite!

The new-boys have put six past Aston Villa, won at Everton and were unlucky at Manchester City. It’s incredible to think what they could achieve given stability off the field.

???

What isn't stable like?

The new-boys have put six past Aston Villa, won at Everton and were unlucky at Manchester City. It’s incredible to think what they could achieve given stability off the field.

???

What isn't stable like?

the press say things arent stable so by law that they are always right things arent stable

If ginola and Ferdinand made a great team, why the f*** did he sell them?

ginola wanted away and was playing like it, ferdinand was 30 with back trouble and we could get our money back.

haven't read the original article yet mind.

supermacs lost it a bit here saying on the carling cup loss

“It wasn’t a team sheet, it was a resignation letter. It was sheer madness and I’m still trying to make sense of it,” said Macdonald after the 4-0 fourth round defeat.

jesus fucking christ is all i have to say on that

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/208534/NEWCASTLE-UNITED-v-SUNDERLAND-Supermac-turns-up-the-heat-on-Hughton?#

“It wasn’t a team sheet, it was a resignation letter. It was sheer madness and I’m still trying to make sense of it,” said Macdonald after the 4-0 fourth round defeat.

jesus f***ing christ is all i have to say on that

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/208534/NEWCASTLE-UNITED-v-SUNDERLAND-Supermac-turns-up-the-heat-on-Hughton?#

fair do's to the bloke, you have to be controversial to stay on air and he's going for it.

who would ring in to argue with......."i can understand why he picked that team"

fair do's to the bloke, you have to be controversial to stay on air and he's going for it.

who would ring in to argue with......."i can understand why he picked that team"

Hmmmm..... A supporters' hero who turns out to be only interested in himself....

I won't go there. Today is unity day. ;)

The first mention of Hughton's job being in any danger was by The Mail who have an axe to grind due to being banned from St. James' Park. All the other media run with it. I've never heard any fan saying Hughton should get the sack. Most of us are realistic. The home form hasn't been good but the away form has been. As for the cup, Arsenal beat Tottenham 4 - 0 and I'd argue Tottenham put a stronger side out than Newcastle did. I don't remember the media saying Redknapp will be sacked.

Newcastle skipper Kevin Nolan is certain the future is bright with Hughton at the helm. “No matter what happens on Sunday we are going to still be 110 per cent behind Chris,” Nolan said. “No matter what we want to see Chris Hughton in charge of us. We are going in the right way with him in charge of us.

“We don’t care what anyone else says outside. As a group of players, as a staff and I believe as fans too we believe we are going in the right direction and the main focal point and the main leader in that is Chris Hughton.”

From the Telegraph. If the lads are truly behind Hughton, and I am 100% certain they are, they'll prove it on the pitch today.

Massive day for Hughton today, has the potential to shape his & our season. :nods:

The game today is too big to lose, Sunderland will not be playing tha same team that has struggled at times against Blackpool and Stoke when I think we took the opposition too lightly. 

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

It wasnt a team sheet, it was a resignation letter. It was sheer madness and Im still trying to make sense of it, said Macdonald after the 4-0 fourth round defeat.

The best thing for him to do is shut the fuck up.

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2010/10/31/chris-hughton-my-debt-to-toon-army-79310-27573207/

Chris Hughton: My debt to Toon Army

Oct 31 2010 by Mark Douglas, Sunday Sun

CHRIS HUGHTON has thanked Newcastle United fans for sticking by him during a tough fortnight – and pledged to do everything he can to wrestle back 'top dog' status with a victory over North East arch- rivals Sunderland today.

While speculation about his position refuses to die - and won't until Newcastle offer him the long-term deal he deserves - he has been delighted by the reaction of the Toon Army to the rumours.

The vast majority are backing him and the players, and that has only strengthened the squad's resolve ahead of today's big game.

"As a manager it is nice and important that you've got the support of the fans. I have been delighted by some of the things that have been said to me," Hughton said.

"I think you can take me out of it. They see a team - of which the manager is part - that is currently sitting ninth in the league and I'm very grateful to them. They also realise we've gone through difficult times and we're in a different place.

"It would be a great way to reward them. No matter what had happened this week, it's a big game - a game you want to win for the supporters.

"You always want to have the bragging rights. We know they've been more prominent in the last year or so because they've been the club in the Premier League, but we're endeavouring to get back up to regions of the division where we want to be.

"This game would be a good place to start."

Meanwhile, Hughton has confirmed that his number two will be an external appointment.

Reserve coach Steve Stone will be by his side today, while Peter Beardsley has also been linked with the job. But Hughton wants someone from outside with the club with more experience.

After being turned down by Steve Clarke - revealed by the Sunday Sun last week as his number one target - Hughton has drawn up a short-list that includes Spurs coach Clive Allen and Faroe Islands boss Brian Kerr.

But the fact Hughton is yet to sign a long-term deal is understood to be putting off many candidates.

"The strong likelihood is it will be external. We're going through the process and doing our homework at the moment," he said.