The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

maybe Hughton is happy to wait....

why rushinto a contract now, when he could wait and negotiate a much better deal on the grounds of us being in the top 4 come christmas! :)

Mike Ashley will probably think "Well I appointed a coach as manager and we're 4th. If I get rid of Chris and do it again we might win the league. Sorry Chris no new contract!"

Just been flicking through the thread. Amazing how opinions have changed in regards to Hughton. Does he now have the backing of the majority? I'd like to say yes, but I know there's a lot of muppets about.

I think he's class. :smug:

maybe Hughton is happy to wait....

why rushinto a contract now, when he could wait and negotiate a much better deal on the grounds of us being in the top 4 come christmas! :)

Mike Ashley will probably think "Well I appointed a coach as manager and we're 4th. If I get rid of Chris and do it again we might win the league. Sorry Chris no new contract!"

I don't doubt that Stevie Stone would indeed win us the league. :clap2:

Look at the players who took us down, who we had our doubts about and look at them now.. I like to think that is down to Hughton.. no one really had faith in Simpson being any better than Parch in this league.. back three games and we have won them all.. has Hughton had an effect on him ?

My opinion of him is like a rollercoaster. He has a few amazing weeks and everything seems to be going right, then he makes one stupid mistake and it's like wtf?

Well, he's still learning, but he's getting better and better tactically as well as bringing on individual players. I'd be absolutely sick if we don't get behind him. What would that say about us as a club?

My opinion of him is like a rollercoaster. He has a few amazing weeks and everything seems to be going right, then he makes one stupid mistake and it's like wtf?

Well, he's still learning, but he's getting better and better tactically as well as bringing on individual players. I'd be absolutely sick if we don't get behind him. What would that say about us as a club?

We are behind him and I think it'll stay.

I'm just not at the same level as others, that he's our saviour and we'll become a successful club with him - it's too early to tell. Doesn't mean I won't give him a chance like.

I reckon the majority of people would still retain their original opinion if Hughton had persisted with 4-5-1.

It was clear to most of us that it wasn't working and that Nolan wasn't suited to the position just behind Carroll. Since the change in tactics we've looked like a totally different team, had some fantastic results and shot up the league as a result.

Credit where it's due.

Just been flicking through the thread. Amazing how opinions have changed in regards to Hughton. Does he now have the backing of the majority? I'd like to say yes, but I know there's a lot of muppets about.

Always backed and defended him; seemed a straight, determind bloke, who talked a great deal of sense from the start. It's pretty mad that people who apparently had no time for him, and saw him as nothing more than a puppet that should be got shot of asap, are now loving the bloke.

Good to see though. :thup:

Guest guinness_fiend

Always backed and defended him; seemed a straight, determind bloke, who talked a great deal of sense from the start. It's pretty mad that people who apparently had no time for him, and saw him as nothing more than a puppet that should be got shot of asap, are now loving the bloke.

This.  He took on a poisoned chalice and has turned its content into wine.  Tesco wine, but wine nonetheless.

I'm just not at the same level as others, that he's our saviour and we'll become a successful club with him - it's too early to tell. Doesn't mean I won't give him a chance like.

I think he has a very real chance of giving us some great times given backing, just seems to have the perfect character for us and the players, but agree that it's still way to early to hail him as the next Robson etc; In the same vein - I also don't hold with all the pressure to bring forward discussions on his contract, it's in both parties interest to work something out, let them sort it in their own time.

This.  He took on a poisoned chalice and has turned its content into wine.  Tesco wine, but wine nonetheless.

I agree with you guys, has always seemed like he is giving his all and does it in the most gracious manner. Seems like a fucking great guy to me, he has made management mistakes along the way but that has to happen as he is still learning. Seem to be learning mightily quick though!

I think he has a very real chance of giving us some great times given backing, just seems to have the perfect character for us and the players, but agree that it's still way to early to hail him as the next Robson etc; In the same vein - I also don't hold with all the pressure to bring forward discussions on his contract, it's in both parties interest to work something out, let them sort it in their own time.

:sadnod:

What length contract would people like to see him given? And on what kind of wedge?

Don't care about wages but he has earned a three year deal surely.

Aye, three year deal sounds about right to me. Haven't got a clue how much managers are usually on, but he deserves quite a raise from what he's currently on.

I'd guess his previous contract was negotiated on championship wages, so he certainly deserves a better offer now he's got us holding our own in the top flight.

Surely they'd have put some sort of promotion wage rise in it though? Otherwise, there's no incentive on him to get us up at the first attempt.

I'd guess his previous contract was negotiated on championship wages, so he certainly deserves a better offer now he's got us holding our own in the top flight.

Surely they'd have put some sort of promotion wage rise in it though? Otherwise, there's no incentive on him to get us up at the first attempt.

What? Just because he wasn't going to get extra money? :doh:

What? Just because he wasn't going to get extra money? :doh:

Well yeah. I wouldn't like to be in a job where the team was rewarded (I've no doubt players had reward bonuses etc.) and I wasn't meeting the cheif goal in such a short space of time.