Mike Williamson (now managing MK Dons)

Ritchie

Shouldn't be rushed back under any circumstances.

Although if Pardew does throw him straight back into it then Swansea at home is about as good as it gets for a returning game. Particularly if Coloccini and Tiote start too. 

Williamson declares himself fit after making long-awaited comeback

By MILES STARFORTH

Published on Wednesday 14 December 2011 12:43

MIKE Williamson’s declared himself fit for Saturday’s home game against Swansea City.

The defender made his comeback for Newcastle United’s reserves yesterday.

And Williamson – who played 45 minutes in yesterday afternoon’s 1-1 draw against Bolton Wanderers – feels he’s ready to return to Premier League action after a long absence through injury.

Pardew looks to get fit-again Williamson back up to speed

Newcastle has seen his defensive options hit by injury, and Fabricio Coloccini is battling to be fit to face Swansea.

In their absence at Carrow Road last weekend, Pardew partnered James Perch with right-back Danny Simpson in central defence.

Pardew will now have to decide whether Williamson is ready for a first-team return.

For his part, Williamson is ready and willing to play and ease United’s defensive crisis.

“From my point of view, I’m fit for selection,” Williamson told the Gazette.

“I feel like my ankle and knee are OK. I’ve had a couple of training sessions and that 45 minutes under my belt.

“It’s down to the manager – I’m just happy to be back. The opportunity’s there – I’ll do my best when I get a chance.”

Williamson suffered ankle and knee injuries in Carling Cup tie away to Scunthorpe United in late August.

“At the time it was quite painful – it was my ankle and knee,” said the 28-year-old.

“I didn’t realise the length of time I’d be out, but I had the scan and I was in a protective boot for eight weeks in the end.

“The physio team told me the length. It has been frustrating, but I’m just glad to have that behind me, and I want to get as fit as I can.

“You have ups and downs in any career, and injuries are part and parcel of this profession.”

The conditions at United’s training ground, which was battered by rain and wind, were testing for Williamson – who was handed the captain’s armband – and his colleagues.

They took the lead through teenage striker Dan Taylor, who headed a Samuel Adjei cross home early in the game, but Bolton claimed a point through a close-range Michael O’Halloran goal six minutes from time.

Williamson said: “It was good – I got 45 minutes under the my belt, and that was always going to be the exercise.

“I came off at half time, and it was nice to be back and have the boots back on.

“I reminded me of my school days – it was windy and rainy conditions – but it was good to get outside.”

Meanwhile, Newcastle have denied a report they have had a £2.5m bid for West Ham United defender James Tomkins turned down.

NEWCASTLE UNITED: Elliot, Henderson, Ferguson, Abeid (Edmundsson, 46), Williamson (Streete, 46), Kadar, Richardson, Inman, D Taylor, Vuckic, Adjei (Storey, 88).

:thup:

Though the Swansea game may be too soon imo. Like I've said before, the WBA game is more realistic like.