Mike Williamson (now managing MK Dons)

Ritchie

I had him on par with Taylor last year, how wrong I was. I'm not quite sure how I ever didn't see his major flaws. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a decent back up centre half but he's just not cut out for being in our first team.

I wouldn't beat yourself up about that assumption. At the half way point of last season we'd never seen Taylor have a spell where he looked consistently up to top flight level whereas Williamson was looking generally solid if not outstanding in the Prem.

Taylor's clearly got better natural attributes, but up until that point both had proven to be of a similar standard for us. I still think the start of this season was the best football Taylor has played in his career by a distance.

Taylor had been showing 4 years previously that he was capable of playing well in the Premier League, he was just one of the players who people decided was shit following relegation.

Not really, he took plenty of criticism before relegation too.

I don't think he'd ever played at a level above the lower echelons of the league, whereas at the start of the season he was playing like a top 6 defender.

I don't think it's an extreme position to point out that Williamson has been a total liability recently.

It's also fair to point out that he came back after a long lay off and had only been back in training a few weeks before he had to be thrown into the team.  My guess is that he didn't come back into the team with a full fitness level and is now running on his reserve tank.

Fitness doesn't explain his mistakes. His fitness should've been maintained during his injury layoff, anyway.

Unless you mean match fitness? Which should increase game-by-game, as opposed to what you're suggesting.

Fitness doesn't explain his mistakes. His fitness should've been maintained during his injury layoff, anyway.

Unless you mean match fitness? Which should increase game-by-game, as opposed to what you're suggesting.

He'd been injured for months and has 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 weeks training, that's nowhere near enough for a premiership footballer and it's showing the more he plays because he's been much much better than he currently is.  The only difference is his lack of training before he was thrown into the team and he's playing with players who are mainly the same as or better than he's played with before.

Guest firetotheworks

Now I remember why I stopped coming on this board. 'Opinions' based around arguing and seemingly strengthening perpetual, persistent stances at the slightest opportunity to do so. Quick, Williamson's hair is a bit askew this week, I better run to N-O and vindicate myself. Really is a board spoilt by people ramming home their own self satisfaction like.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but nor is there a lot of dignity in saying he's done 'nothing wrong' in reference to a player who's incompetence has cost us goals in each of our last 4 games.

He can only work to the maximum of his own ability. That ability is limited. I don't think he has any moments where he does anything particularly idiotic, he just gets beaten in areas where he's physically limited. I certainly wouldn't count getting done by Van Persie as being a coffin nail. If it was then you'd have to hand them out to pretty much every defender RVP has played against this season.

He'd been injured for months and has 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 weeks training, that's nowhere near enough for a premiership footballer and it's showing the more he plays because he's been much much better than he currently is.  The only difference is his lack of training before he was thrown into the team and he's playing with players who are mainly the same as or better than he's played with before.

There is some substance to what you're saying imo. I'm starting to think that maybe he hasn't really got over his injury yet (he was out for some time after all) and I reckon that has somewhat affected him mentally. He was essentially rushed back and had next to no recovery time. Having said that though, it has been three months since he's been back so he should be back at full match fitness.

Got to be said, his performances have been declining ever since the Fulham game. Guess his confidence is pretty much shot (Pardew pretty much hinted this after the derby) and as a result, it's really looking like he's prone to a (costly) mistake in each game he plays. A little support from the fans is what he needs (pretty much what TT said on the last page). Like it or not, Williamson is our best option for CB alongside Colo.

Guest Tyson

Has always been the current-day version of Andy O'brien. He's a solid professional, and will give you 100% commitment & effort. But forwards do manage to get goalside him too easily. With Williamson it's just down to a lack of of athleticism, strength & balance. And that's suicidal in our current defensive set-up ie. Pardew employing a high defensive line.

Like O'brien, because he plays such a close checking marking game, he has to play for the accidental 'tangle-up' with his opposite number. Back in O'briens hey-day refs didn't really crack down on that sort of cynical & accidental foul. That's no longer the case now. His forwardplaying 1st touch, or when when mopping up the looseballs as well, is far too heavy. He always gives maruading strikers, with a high defensive & pressing workrate aka. somebody like Bellamy, a sniff at a gifted opportunity.

We've missed Taylor badly, who is a marked improvement in each area just mentioned. Taylor has always been a solid man-marker, he's weakness was defending opening space when backpeddling on the counter ie. not commiting to breaking up the ball-carrier quick enough, particularly when the opposition isn't committing extra attackers through the central corridor/or when those extra options are effectively covered by those midfielders who are not shirking their defensive responsibilities in transition from attack to defense.

Guest Tyson

O'Brien was at least a goal threat.

Attacking from set-pieces, and alternatively clearing the lines down back where heading is concerned, was O'brien's bread & butter stuff and redeeming quality (the simple stuff), to go along with other intangibles mentioned. It was easy to see why SBR was first attracted to him (re- effort & heart) at a time when the manager & board was initially (prior to Summer of 01/02) reloading/rebuilding the playing list, in the wake of Gullit's spending excess on foreign exports who didn't adapt to the hustle & bustle of the league.

He hasn't looked the same player since his comeback from injury. I hope it's just a question of fitness and that a good pre-season will restore his confidence. His ability in the air is still there, but on the ground, he's being turned more easily.

Taylor is a strong athlete, and whilst he's not the most refined of centre backs, he's been excellent at getting out to opponents and blocking shots.

He hasn't looked the same player since his comeback from injury. I hope it's just a question of fitness and that a good pre-season will restore his confidence. His ability in the air is still there, but on the ground, he's being turned more easily.

Taylor is a strong athlete, and whilst he's not the most refined of centre backs, he's been excellent at getting out to opponents and blocking shots.

I thought the opposite actually. Looked good in his first 4-5 games, seems to have fallen apart since Brighton.

I had him on par with Taylor last year, how wrong I was. I'm not quite sure how I ever didn't see his major flaws. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a decent back up centre half but he's just not cut out for being in our first team.

I wouldn't beat yourself up about that assumption. At the half way point of last season we'd never seen Taylor have a spell where he looked consistently up to top flight level whereas Williamson was looking generally solid if not outstanding in the Prem.

Taylor's clearly got better natural attributes, but up until that point both had proven to be of a similar standard for us. I still think the start of this season was the best football Taylor has played in his career by a distance.

Taylor had been showing 4 years previously that he was capable of playing well in the Premier League, he was just one of the players who people decided was s*** following relegation.

Didn't help that he was doing twattish things like over-celebrating goals and trying to get the crowd going.... :lol:

Always loved a bit of Stevie T myself.  :saylor:

He's not very good.

Not signing a CB in January could cost us our Euro spot, this lad is not good enough for the Premiership and it's having a knock-on affect on the rest of the team.

We have to play a deep line because he's slow as fuck, meaning the midfield has to sit deeper (in Pardew's head at least) which in turn leads to so much of our hoofball because the strikers are so isolated.

Not his fault really, but I hope he'll be gone in the summer. Not good enough even as a squad player.

Struggling to work out who is the biggest liability out of Williamson and Simpson.

It is scary how bad Williamson has become in a year. I don't know what is up with him. He never had pace and has always been dicey in shirt pulling but he at least seemed to read the game well, was pretty calm and made the right decisions, even if it was just hoofing it into touch. Now he bungles everything, gets himself into trouble and rarely picks the right option.

Think I'd be more tempted to put Perch at CB and keep Simpson on the starting sheet right now. Tough call though.

Ideally right now;            Santon    Perch    Colo    Raylor      (looks fucking shocking on paper though)