Wayne Routledge signs 3 year deal with Swansea

clintdempsey

He was a steal for us. We were very fortunate to get him the way we did.

It is the first time in a long time that a large voice of the fans have been saying "We need someone like Routledge" and the club have actually gone out and got them. I couldn't believe it when it was first announced :lol:

Word, been so long since our club signed who we wanted at the right time.

Truth... I was amazed we'd signed a player we actually needed. Not the only one recently, to be fair.

I like him but in an ideal world he'll have some serious competition next year. I can't see him breaking records in the big league. I don't see him as particularly quick (he's nippy like), and he often relies on deft touches and slight-of-hand trickery to beat a man. He'll get rumbled with ease against a lot of Premiership teams. Saying that, if he's our first choice right-winger next year, it won't be horrendous or anything.

I like him but in an ideal world he'll have some serious competition next year. I can't see him breaking records in the big league. I don't see him as particularly quick (he's nippy like), and he often relies on deft touches and slight-of-hand trickery to beat a man. He'll get rumbled with ease against a lot of Premiership teams. Saying that, if he's our first choice right-winger next year, it won't be horrendous or anything.

Are you serious? :kasper:

Are you serious? :kasper:

I agree with him. I don't know if he's been struggling for fitness but he's only started outpacing fullbacks in the last month. Before that he was struggling to beat his man for pace.

Take it you missed the Cardiff and Coventry games then, he was absolutely taking the piss with his pace.

I've noticed with Routledge he uses his clever footwork a lot to help him out when he's struggling to take it past a man, nothing wrong with it, but he's made out to be like shit off a stick when he isn't. He's one of the quickest in our squad but that says more about our squad than him.

I'm not saying he's slow or anything but he doesn't have pace to burn in the mould of Walcott, as has been shown in a fair few games.

Not many players have Walcott's kind of pace man.

Routledge must be one of the fastest wingers in this division, the way he sometimes accelerates into space away from a group of players is great to watch. I think the fact he's came and not been the total speed-merchant people thought he was is hiding how fast he actually is. He has more to his game than just speed, hopefully he can continue it into next season.

Not many players have Walcott's kind of pace man.

Routledge must be one of the fastest wingers in this division, the way he sometimes accelerates into space away from a group of players is great to watch. I think the fact he's came and not been the total speed-merchant people thought he was is hiding how fast he actually is. He has more to his game than just speed, hopefully he can continue it into next season.

He was just an example but that's exactly the point though, people make out he's that quick.

I agree with your other point too. He is quick, but not as quick as he's made out to be. Like I've mentioned, I think his footwork is superb at times which usually helps him beat a man rather than just knocking it past and hoping to get on the end of it.

Guest palnese

I think he could learn a lot from watching Valencia at Man Utd. Valencia is a fairly simple, but effective winger. Beat your opponent and whip it in, without any extra trickery and shit. The same goes for Jonas. They've both got the pace, but tend to make things a wee bit difficult for themselves, especially Jonas.

I think he could learn a lot from watching Valencia at Man Utd. Valencia is a fairly simple, but effective winger. Beat your opponent and whip it in, without any extra trickery and shit. The same goes for Jonas. They've both got the pace, but tend to make things a wee bit difficult for themselves, especially Jonas.

That is true, but to buy players of Valencia's class would cost a lot more than £1.5m. Jonas and Routledge are both players we should eventually be looking to upgrade on but at this moment in time I would think a central midfielder with a good engine or a quick striker of pedigree is more important. The wingers have their flaws but they are both good enough to do a job in the premier.

Routledge will have enough in his locker to cause alot of premiership left backs problems. He may not set the league alight but his pace will cause plenty of problems. I find it amazing that it hasn't really happened at a top flight club.

Routledge will have enough in his locker to cause alot of premiership left backs problems. He may not set the league alight but his pace will cause plenty of problems. I find it amazing that it hasn't really happened at a top flight club.

as stated earlier, so far in his career he has always started off well at new clubs then tails off. i hope it's down to inexperience, believing he's made it and eases off .

as stated earlier, so far in his career he has always started off well at new clubs then tails off. i hope it's down to inexperience, believing he's made it and eases off .

Aye that would suggest that it's down to effort rather than form and there is nothing to suggest that he's lazy from what i've seen.

Hopefully he's just had alot of bad luck.

Aye that would suggest that it's down to effort rather than form and there is nothing to suggest that he's lazy from what i've seen.

He holds onto the ball too long for my liking, I'm thinking that might be why he's pissed a few managers off. other than that he's got everything he needs in his locker...whips in a decent cross surprisingly. Just needs to add a touch of intelligence to be a consistent force in the premier.

He holds onto the ball too long for my liking, I'm thinking that might be why he's pissed a few managers off. other than that he's got everything he needs in his locker...whips in a decent cross surprisingly. Just needs to add a touch of intelligence to be a consistent force in the premier.

There's one other key element he needs in his game... a right back.

If we can get a right back similar to Enrique we could be relatively devastating down both flanks. Enrique - Jonas and ____ - Routledge. If Guthrie can perform in the centre and spray out passes to the wings with Barton protecting the back 4 a bit (if he gets some form back) we could be a decent side (providing we don't bring in another centre mid).

• 3 months later...

The amount of clubs he has played for worries me but he seems to have settled here quite well.

I said it a few posts up and I'll say it again. A good quality right back would be great. Jonas would be completely ineffective without Enrique. To get the best out of Routledge we probably should have been a bit more adventurous and signed/loaned a more dynamic player than Perch.