Wayne Routledge signs 3 year deal with Swansea

clintdempsey

Guest malandro

Aye, i love the lad, very good performance. He's the type of player we've been crying out for, for a good few years.

I thought his final ball was quite poor today. His pace and trickery certainly gives us a different dimension though - should some really classes touches at times.

He reminds me of Walcott in a way.  Incredibly fast, but his decision making is quite poor.

More like Franz Carr – very little to his game other than pace and a low centre of gravity. He’s done canny at SJP but I fear he’ll become less effective as defenders get to know his game.

Top player, think he'll continue to shine in the PL. Hope he develops confidence with his left foot, he cut in excellently one or two times and could have let rip but continued going sideways :lol:  Excellent overall though.

Guest malandro

Top player, think he'll continue to shine in the PL. Hope he develops confidence with his left foot, he cut in excellently one or two times and could have let rip but continued going sideways :lol:  Excellent overall though.

He’s 25 years old, if he can’t use his left foot by now he never will.

He’s 25 years old, if he can’t use his left foot by now he never will.

He's not a top wide player for me, he just doesn't have the intelligence. But he's quick and his movement is good so he's a valuable outlet with a slow midfield like ours. To buy a player with end product as well as all his attributes will take a lot of money and we know how that ends.

Guest firetotheworks

He just needs to be more consistent with his crossing, and know when to play it first time. That aside he's been very good for us so far. He completely transforms the space that Jonas gets, and vice versa.

I've noticed he often seems to wait too long before putting a cross in, giving the defender time to reposition himself to put a block in, even when there is space to run into nearer the byline. I would like to see him use his pace to run the outside of the defender more often and get past the defender before putting in a cross. Crosses from the byline are generally harder to defend and it will mean he will get more crosses in as he should get the better of many defenders on pace. It's a real shame seeing him whip in crosses only for them to be easily blocked.. Still, he had a decent game yesterday and he is invaluable to us as an outlet when we are under the cosh.

Ha yeah i noticed on one or two occasions that he hesitated to cross/shoot and just dribbled the ball all the way across the box to the left wing, couldnt help but laugh.

I've noticed he often seems to wait too long before putting a cross in, giving the defender time to reposition himself to put a block in, even when there is space to run into nearer the byline. I would like to see him use his pace to run the outside of the defender more often and get past the defender before putting in a cross. Crosses from the byline are generally harder to defend and it will mean he will get more crosses in as he should get the better of many defenders on pace. It's a real shame seeing him whip in crosses only for them to be easily blocked.. Still, he had a decent game yesterday and he is invaluable to us as an outlet when we are under the cosh.

Agree with that.  The last couple of games he keeps cutting inside into traffic when he should be getting it out wide and crossing it in for Carroll.

Warnock was there for the taking, but he didn't take the chance.

A lot of the time with Carroll on his own up front it's quite difficult though, as Carroll drops deep and plays it out wide to Routledge. If Carroll's not in the box it's often only Nolan with 3 defenders, so you can understand a bit of reticence

A lot of the time with Carroll on his own up front it's quite difficult though, as Carroll drops deep and plays it out wide to Routledge. If Carroll's not in the box it's often only Nolan with 3 defenders, so you can understand a bit of reticence

True, sometimes there isn't any point in crossing it in.

I liked the fact that he was delaying a bit and allowing Perch to get forward later in the game... hopefully we'll see some more of that.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

tbf Routledge did make some good deliveries, but it was more his pace and energy which was dangerous for Villa. He's a good player.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Imho he did a hell of a lot of running about with no end product scared  villa with his pace but did most to infuriate

This Jonas thread is over there...  :smug:

A lot of the times that Routledge had the chance to cross the ball on Sunday, when he looked up, there wasn't anyone in there, particularly early on, so I can see why he delayed. What pissed me off is that Waddle ripped into him at every opportunity, and failed to spot this despite being an "expert".

I thought he had a great game.. aye, most of his crosses were blocked and sometimes he holds the ball a bit too much, but he gives us pace and directness that lack elsewhere in the team.. Villa couldn't cope with it.

Routledge could be a very good player with some coaching.  It's not even as if he can't cross, I've seen him put in plenty of good balls, it's his decision making that's the problem, he has a chance to cross procrastinates then is closed down, then realises he's made the wrong choice, then he cuts in(I'm assuming he's looking for a gap) then when he doesn't see one instead of passing back to the midfield he keeps running until he's eventually closed down.  It's like when he has an idea in his head he has to see it through until he loses the ball.

Football is a low percentage game, even the top wingers only find a player with a small number of their crosses.

I don't think there's much wrong with Wayne's final ball. He's been cutting inside a bit too much recently, but hopefully Hughton will have a quick word about that.

Think we actually solved that in the half time team talk. Routledge and Jonas didn´t cut in as much as they did in the first half in the second half. instead they tired to make crosses in to the box.

I think Jonas and Rout has there problems. but if they shouldn´t have them they shouldn´t have been playing for us. I like Rout as a player. He gives us something we haven´t had for a very long time. even if he doesn´t succeed with everything he, as well as Jonas, makes the life difficult for the opponent team to cope with.