This is the Best thread, I've ever been in, dududu dududu

Skirge

We probably could have got Beckford and Moses for a combined 6 million quid and sold Carroll to Wolves/Stoke for 4 million quid.

Net outlay of 2 million..................................chicken feed in this day and age, even for Ashley

We have made soooooooooooooooooo many mistakes here.

We couldn't have got Beckford or Moses, it wasn't about the money... we can't compete with the definite offer of Premiership football.

We need to face that fact that we aren't the club we were, it will take some slow rebuilding to get back there.

Guest Roger Kint

Had we not been after Beckford & Moses fans may have been less pissed off with this signing, but its such a drop from who we were after.

I'd hardly call Best a massive drop from Beckfoard in fairness.

He probably hasnt seen any of them much in all fairness aside from Beckfords recent cup games

7 is a bit generous tbf.

Yeah - I quickly thought of the following;

- Harper

- Enrique

- Colo

- S Taylor

- Jonas

Then thought that there might be one or two I'd forgotten.

Certainly the whole central midfield needs to be looked at and this is when we should be looking to adapt the side, the way it plays in time for next year.

Bullying sides and long ball tactics may be enough this season but we're not good enough at either of each to survive in the Premiership - Stoke (the new Bolton) are the fucking anti-football masters and they'd chew us up and spaff in our faces with this squad.

Coyle's attempts to change Boltons style of play should be watched with interest because we'll need to do the same and I think we should be planning for that now - don't see how Leon Best would fit into that which means we're due more of the same until Houghton is booted, by then it might be too late.

I doubt very many people on here have seen him play more than once or twice but still seem willing to write him off because he isn't an unproven 19 year old surrounded by a load of hype

The ones surrounded by hype tend to be surrounded by hype for a reason.

The ones who are genuine quality tend to be signed up by the big teams - not relegation fodder like Wigan.  There as been no evidence that any top half club ever had a genuine interest in Moses, just a lot of agent and tabloid talk about Madrid and Barcelona being interested

Guest Stephen927

Has disappointed in his cameos at international level, but his scoring record this season is very good, and he's still young. Just not confident at all that if we were to be promoted, that he could be able to make the step up.

We probably could have got Beckford and Moses for a combined 6 million quid and sold Carroll to Wolves/Stoke for 4 million quid.

Net outlay of 2 million..................................chicken feed in this day and age, even for Ashley

We have made soooooooooooooooooo many mistakes here.

We couldn't have got Beckford or Moses, it wasn't about the money... we can't compete with the definite offer of Premiership football.

We need to face that fact that we aren't the club we were, it will take some slow rebuilding to get back there.

Are you telling me we can't compete with the likes of Wigan?

I presume you don't work in marketing? Any bugger with half a brain and an ounce of gumption could sell this club to people like Moses.

We're a fucking big club, we've got a fantastic set of supporters, a great stadium and a top class city.

We will be going back to the top flight - and this point should have been sold to Moses.

Why would you choose Wigan over us? Premiership football? Hardly. If this was sold to him properly his decision would've been an easy one.

Ashley should have sat him down and told him about his vision of nurturing young talent through the side etc. It's clearly his strategy so why couldn't he sell it?

Guest johnson293

I'd love all these people criticising the signings to come up with an equivalent list to those that we have signed.

And please, leave Beckford and Moses off, as we tried and failed for both of them, for one or a number of reasons.

But, I'd genuinely be interested to see who people think we realitically could/should have signed in our current economic and league situation.

Guest Stephen927

Besides, it isn't as though we have strikers at the moment who can score consistently at this level. Best will be our goal machine, I am sure he will score 10 between now and the end of the season.

It's becoming clear to me that Ashley is spending the bare minimum to get us promoted. He will sell in the summer and we will be left with championship standard players in a relegation battle and that's if we even get promoted

Guest Stephen927

Is there a need to spend big? If you compare our spending with others around the top of the table, it will be similar.

I'd love all these people criticising the signings to come up with an equivalent list to those that we have signed.

And please, leave Beckford and Moses off, as we tried and failed for both of them, for one or a number of reasons.

But, I'd genuinely be interested to see who people think we realitically could/should have signed in our current economic and league situation.

Maybe if the club had an effective scouting network you wouldn't be on here looking for suggestions.

Why leave Moses and Beckford off the list? We failed to attract them to the club - why is that? Money. We wouldn't compete with Wigan on transfer fee.

Yet we'll spunk money away on players who've never proved themselves capable of top level football.

It beggars belief the lack of ambition and forward planning at the club and also makes me question Mr Nice Guys ability to persuade genuine talent to come to the club.

We realistically could have signed both those players though? :lol: It's only through pure idiocy that we went public on both and ended up with neither

We realistically could have signed both those players though? :lol: It's only through pure idiocy that we went public on both and ended up with neither

Correct.

I have to say the response on here is really disappointing. This is a young player who seems to be coming into his own this season as far as scoring goals goes. At the very worst from the tiny bit I have actually seen of him, he has a lot of pace and he is strong. Two things we severely lack upfront.

I was actually pleasantly surprised to see that the club didn't just succumb to bringin in a tacky loan signing like Daniel Cousin in instead. Best I believe was in the final year of his contract so he wouldn't have cost much, and will now have a chance in a much better team to show if he can make the next step up. If he doesn't he will still be a very affordable and useful back up striker next season, if only for the fact that he would be useful of the bench because he is quick and strong.

People say he is worse than all our strikers? Really, as far as I can see our strikers not only struggle to score consistently, but they also cause no threat through their sheer physical attributes. The only one who seems to have any potential to do either of these two things is Nile Ranger, but it seems the club prefer to bring him along slowly.

I really hope by the end of the season we can all look back at the initial reactions in this thread and laugh at how silly they were. Why anyone would ever be so harsh on a player before he's even had a chance to step onto the pitch is beyond me. Moving to a club like Newcastle might just be the making of the player. In my opinion a lot of these sorts of players who are deemed too average don't get enough chances at better club, especially considering their youth. It might just excite him enough and give him more belief in himself.

Happy that we have another young player in who is not just a lazy loan signing. Also really happy that he is a good athlete who has got strength and pace as we need this badly.

Good luck to him.

Aye, it's ridiculous. But the type of rubbish you expect on here these days.

Agreed, it's good to see some sensibility. Even if he does turn out pretty average.

Guest johnson293

We didn't go public on Moses though did we? that was his agent and/or the administrator.

Also, wasn't it Beckford who started quoting in the press that he'd love to come here?

Maybe if the club had an effective scouting network you wouldn't be on here looking for suggestions.

Why leave Moses and Beckford off the list? We failed to attract them to the club - why is that? Money. We wouldn't compete with Wigan on transfer fee.

Yet we'll spunk money away on players who've never proved themselves capable of top level football.

It beggars belief the lack of ambition and forward planning at the club and also makes me question Mr Nice Guys ability to persuade genuine talent to come to the club.

when has Moses proved himself capable of top level football?  It seems you would have been delighted for us to spunk 2.5m on him

We didn't go public on Moses though did we? that was his agent and/or the administrator.

Also, wasn't it Beckford who started quoting in the press that he'd love to come here?

But managers come and gone have either refused to comment or ducked the question in such situations. Hughton was quoted in both cases about being interested and being 'hopeful' of a deal coming off.

Guest johnson293

I'm confused, can someone please explain to me why Beckford would have been a better signing than Best?

Coz beckford scored against Manyoo and Spuds in the cup, innit!  :cheesy:

when has Moses proved himself capable of top level football?  It seems you would have been delighted for us to spunk 2.5m on him

I'd have been happy for us to make an investment on someone who is widely tipped to make an impact on the game at the highest level - if he doesn't make the grade then he's a bad gamble and we'll incur a small loss.

Leon Best comes with no reputation and has a career history showing a handful of goals. We were competing with Boro to get him - I hardly think he'll set the premiership alight in his tenure with us, therefore a short term, short sighted signing on the cheap.

Wonderful.

Breaking News.................................for Skirge

Heard Beckford is currently having a medical at the RVI

Can you confirm?

I can confirm.............................................. you are indeed unfunny :D