This is the Best thread, I've ever been in, dududu dududu

Skirge

Guest toonlass

Oh bugger it. If we sign him, and it looks like we will cos he has just been shown on the telly at Little Benton, then I will be 100% behind him. Ok so he isn't Torres but we aren't Liverpool and if he helps us out of the Championship then good.

Had we not been after Beckford & Moses fans may have been less pissed off with this signing, but its such a drop from who we were after.

We don't really know if it is much of a drop though, do we? Beckford and Moses might both fail to make it in the top flight.

beckford may fail to make it to the top flight.

i keep thinking of lomano lua lua when beckford and moses are mentioned as a player from lower down, not much history behind them but loads of hype.

Guest johnson293

Had we not been after Beckford & Moses fans may have been less pissed off with this signing, but its such a drop from who we were after.

But as has been said, Best' record is better than moses this season, isn't it??

And Beckford doesn't have the greatest career record at Championship level, does he? But he scored against Man Utd and Spurs in the cup, so he must be Premiership standard, yeah?

But, everyone is so quick to put this signing down, when they were all over the possibility of signing Beckford or Moses.

Strange.

Nail on the head. Typical NUFC signing these days.

Seems we're getting ourselves geared up for a relegations scrap next year.

Best is a decent striker at this level. He certainly has an eye for goal and is strong and seems to be a handful for defenders. It can't hurt to have another option available.

If he scores 5 to 10 goals and helps us get promoted then he'll have done what's required. If he stays on after that will be a matter for the management to sort.

Strangely enough I watched Leon play about 10 times or so when he was on loan at Yeovil a few years back in League 1 i think it was. If i remember rightly he did have a bit of pace about him and was always quite strong, however, at times it did appear as if he seemed a bit confused by what was going on around him and he was forever getting caught offside needlessly (In the sense that of course all offsides are needless but if he'd just had a bit more of a brain about him he would have realised that he could have held his run for that extra second and still beat the defender to the ball).

Having said that he did seem to have an eye for goal (think he scored about 10 goals in 15 or so games) and he is only young. I hope he does well and good luck to him but i have my doubts as to whether he is good enough to keep any of our current strikers out of the team... I hope he proves me wrong!

Ronaldo who are Williamson, Hall and van Halen better than? Steven Taylor and Jose Enrique? I don't think so like, fair enough we needed replacements but let's not pretend we've improved. Routledge should improve us but is Best better than Lovenkrands and Shola? Believe it when I see it.

Williamson is a first choice CB pro-tem with Taylor out, i'd rather him than Kadar. And Van the man would appear to be a better LB than anyone we have available for the next month.

No offence, but this is ridiculous point of view on a number of levels.

We aren't a Premiership club, we don't have much money, so we need to make signings of cheap players who have potential to do better than they have before.

Obviously when we're in the Championship we can't prepare a team for a top half challenge in the Premiership, for one thing we can't afford to take the risk with the wage bill.

Guest Roger Kint

Ronaldo who are Williamson, Hall and van Halen better than? Steven Taylor and Jose Enrique? I don't think so like, fair enough we needed replacements but let's not pretend we've improved. Routledge should improve us but is Best better than Lovenkrands and Shola? Believe it when I see it.

You are aware Williamson/Hall came in as we only had Kadar as cover right? They are clearly better than what we had then arent they unless Tozer counts as being better? As for van Aanholt, Enrique is injured just so you know.

I wil lgive him a chance BUT who will be our starting pair?

Shola

Loven

Carroll

Best

Ranger

Are we meant to be excited?

I wouldn't want to choose a pair from that lot for the reserve team to be honest. A cumulative bag of shite.

We don't need stop gap signings, we need players good enough for mid level premisership sides.

We're buying ourselves Donnay trainers when there's Nike pair next to them for a fiver more.

Our first and foremost target is promotion this year, this guy won't have cost a lot, nor will he be on large wages. He's in form in the same division we're in so it's hardly a move that makes no sense. If we go up, and our striking options aren't addressed in the summer, then there'll be a problem.

We aren't a Premiership club, we don't have much money, so we need to make signings of cheap players who have potential to do better than they have before.

Obviously when we're in the Championship we can't prepare a team for a top half challenge in the Premiership, for one thing we can't afford to take the risk with the wage bill.

Moses wanted to join us and we missed out on a player on the cheap who would have good resake value.

Beckford wanted to join us and as he was near enough out of contract was not going to cost a bomb really.

Don't agree in the slightest. We will be promoted and that means why should be planning for it now.

How many players out of our current squad are good enough for the Premiership - 7 maybe?

Now is the time to be buying players good enough to play at that level who need time to gel with the current side - this is when we should be looking for the next Enrique (young, great potential and probably not after silly wages).

We don't have much money - who does? We've got the smallest wage bill we've had in years and with some good planning it could be even smaller - that must free up some capital.

We've got to plan for the premiership so all of this bollocks about being a championship club is short sighted - we've got one foot back into the Premiership and need to start to act like a big club again - that means investing in players good enough to improve the team immediately.

We probably could have got Beckford and Moses for a combined 6 million quid and sold Carroll to Wolves/Stoke for 4 million quid.

Net outlay of 2 million..................................chicken feed in this day and age, even for Ashley

We have made soooooooooooooooooo many mistakes here.

I doubt very many people on here have seen him play more than once or twice but still seem willing to write him off because he isn't an unproven 19 year old surrounded by a load of hype

The ones surrounded by hype tend to be surrounded by hype for a reason.

Not really. We could have been in for Rooney for all I care, Leon Best is still Leon Best :lol: