Newcastle United v Coventry - Wednesday 17th Feb, 7.45pm

Guest toonlass

With Williamson and Hall fit I would like to see Coloccini start in central midfield. He will offer more than Nolan, Smith or Butt. I know he struggled there for us last season against Manchester City but I think he would be fine at this level.

I agree.. His positional sense won't be perfect but surely he can't be worse than Butt and Smith.

With Williamson and Hall fit I would like to see Coloccini start in central midfield. He will offer more than Nolan, Smith or Butt. I know he struggled there for us last season against Manchester City but I think he would be fine at this level.

Nah not for me like. Square pegs in round holes. It would be weakining our defence as well as he is just about the best defender in the league (even though Williamson has been impressive and Hall has been solid). He wouldn't offer anymore than our other central midfielders either when it comes to legs cos he's not fast either. It would just be taking something away from defence and not adding anything significant to our midfield. If Jonas is back and we moved Guthrie into the middle in place of Nolan then we would be a lot more effective.

He offers the ability to pass the ball to a team mate, something Nolan, Smith and Butt are not capable of doing.

It's not something I would do away from home mind.

Don't really rate hall tbh, I think Colo and Mike together are possibly our best combo in CB.  A technical Cb alongside a mountain of a man who is softly spoken.

You cannot possibly consider dropping Carroll. He has got 5 in 5 and deserves to keep his place. The service to him has been woefful away but at home, with two wingers supplying crosses, he would be lethal. He won the game against Cardiff in the first 15 minutes and they are infinitely a better side than Coventry.

Dont play Best either. It would be a mistake. Coventry will be expecting him to play so I would rather see Lovenkrands start up front with Best champing at the bit to come on in the last 25 minutes or so.

Nolan should be rested and move Guthrie into the middle with Smith. Williamson in for Hall and the full backs and Colo stay the same.

Harper, Simpson, Colo, Williamson, Van the Man, Routledge, Smith, Guthrie, Jonas, Carroll, Lovenkrands......Subs: Krul, Hall, Kadar, Ranger, Nolan, Best, Raylor.........................................we will win 3-0

___________Lovenkrands_____Carroll______________

_____________________Best_____________________

____________Jonas____Smith____Routledge_________

Van Arnalt_____Williamson____Collocini________Simpson

We have too many rigid players so we should come up with something more flexable. Best could ghost into the box unmarked, obviously adventurous but Jonas & Routledge cant do any worse than Nolan & Guthrie more central, and they can pull out wide when we have the ball. Take the bull by the horns, give them something to worry about, when they arrive at SJP we should want them to see the team sheet and be thinking "shit, what do we do here, who's going to pick him up?".

Harper

Simpson - Williamson - Hall - Van Aanholt

Coloccini - Smith

Routledge                                                       Gutierrez

Ranger  -  Lovenkrands

Harps

Simpson--Hall---Colo---Kadar

Routs---Guthrie--Smith- Aanholt

--------- Carroll-----Loven----------

I'm guessing Jonas isn't 100% still so we can afford to have him come off the bench if need be.

Harper

Simpson    Coloccini  Williamson    Van Aanholt

Smith

Nolan

Routledge                                          Jonas

Carroll        Best

Is the team i expect, with perhaps the possible inclusion of Hall instead of Williamson. Of course we'd all like to see Guthrie instead of Nolan and Lovenkrands instead of Best but it's very unlikely.

How long has Enrique got left BTW? 2/3 weeks now?

Harper

Coloccini - Smith

Ranger  -  Lovenkrands

Funny, I was just saying on Saturday that I generally think Colo would cope better in midfield than any of Nolan, Butt or Smith.

Obviously it's never gonna happen because it's vital we have him at CB.

Harper

Coloccini - Smith

Ranger  -  Lovenkrands

Funny, I was just saying on Saturday that I generally think Colo would cope better in midfield than any of Nolan, Butt or Smith.

I've thought it all season. He is the best passer of the ball in our team, without a doubt. When Taylor is back and playing alongside Williamson, I'd love to see what Colo could do at DM. He has played at DM a considerable amount of times for Depor, Milan saw him as the long-term replacement for Costacurta (a DM).

Sure, it's a sign of desperate times that I'm suggesting we use our best defender this season as a playmaker, but I think an effective passer of the ball is exactly what we need in the centre of the park, whilst still providing defensive cover.

Harper

Coloccini - Smith

Ranger  -  Lovenkrands

I've thought it all season. He is the best passer of the ball in our team, without a doubt. When Taylor is back and playing alongside Williamson, I'd love to see what Colo could do at DM. He has played at DM a considerable amount of times for Depor, Milan saw him as the long-term replacement for Costacurta (a DM).

Sure, it's a sign of desperate times that I'm suggesting we use our best defender this season as a playmaker, but I think an effective passer of the ball is exactly what we need in the centre of the park, whilst still providing defensive cover.

Just imagine next season, it could be Colo vs Felleni in the middle of the park

Harper

Coloccini - Smith

Ranger  -  Lovenkrands

Just imagine next season, it could be Colo vs Felleni in the middle of the park

I doubt they could get within 5 yards of each other now you mention it :lol: