Ashley sets up new long term transfer strategy - Sunday Sun

Guest michaelfoster

surely i can't be the only one to find this a load of tosh ? things aren't worked out on transfer fees ar wages but the estimated cost of the whole package and possible resale value. the way some are believing it is that they will spend £2million on a player and a wage cap of £15,000 but wouldn't go £17,000 for the same player on a free.

i've always loved the way everyone slags the press off but they swallow every line.

i've always loved the way everyone slags the press off but they swallow every line.

What i 'love' is when people make reasoned arguments and then decimate them in one fell swoop by trying to attribute individual opinions to everyone at once.

The performance related pay is a brilliant idea in theory, but it has major flaws.  Who will be the judge on whether the performance was good enough? If it's the club that judges than surely there could be all sorts of nasty disagreements on how good a player did. For a striker you could argue that goals could be the driving force, but what if the striker get's his leg broken by a shocking tackle? it's not the strikers fault however he will lose out on a lot of money because he can't be on the pitch to score the goals.  It will also never work because all clubs would have to adopt this policy at the same time.  If you have a choice of £15k a week or £5k a week basic with potential to earn much higher, the player will always go for the £15k a week contract imo.

It may work if the players performances were judged by the fans, but even then I'm sure arguments and debates would ensue.

It's not worth discussing as it will never happen.

It would have to be mostly based on stats rather than opinion.

Clean sheets, goals, assists, etc.

Except that might bias players to try to score themselves when a team mate was in a far better position.

Easier to just base it on a win, possibly give a smaller bonus for a draw.

Guest sicko2ndbest

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/735093/ASHLEY-MADE-EMERGENCY-LOAN-TO-TOON.html

ASHLEY MADE EMERGENCY LOAN TO TOON

Newcastle still in deep financial trouble

PROMOTION COUNTDOWN: Chris Hughton

By Martin Hardy, 20/02/2010

MIKE ASHLEY had to make an emergency £25million loan in December to keep Newcastle going.

Sport of the World has learned the Toon owner arranged the interest-free deal to meet player wages and the general running costs of the Championship leaders.

It further highlights the precarious nature of the club's financial situation despite a campaign that has seen them largely lead the Championship.

It also increases the need for an immediate return to the Premier League with revenue streams having been slashed in the wake of relegation.

Newcastle's wage bill remains around £40million despite a huge cull of personnel in the summer.

Turnover has dropped to around £50million and the hush-hush refinancing deal enabled the club to not only secure its short-term future but also strengthen their squad with four permanent signings and two loan deals arriving in January.

However the loan has effectively been offset against Newcastle's second and final parachute payment from the Premier League and the outstanding deferred fees to be paid on the outgoing transfers that took place in the summer.

That means the £11million parachute payment that will arrive in August has already been spent, as has a sum believed to be around £9million that was owed from the sales of Obafemi Martins, Damien Duff and Sebastien Bassong.

"Mike did not want people to know about the loan he put into the club in December," said a club source.

"If he had not done that, who knows what could have happened? The only other possible option would have been to have arranged an outside finance deal and the interest rate for that would have been around 20 per cent, which means you've lost another £5million straight away.

"Mike has committed more money to the club. It is a secured loan, interest free and it had to be done.

"There is a shortfall of around £50million because of relegation. The club had to bring some payments forward. That is not unusual.

"Doing this was the only way the club could operate. All the previous sponsorship money had been spent on the Michael Owen deal before Mike Ashley even bought the club.

"That deal alone has cost Newcastle £44million. The TV money went with relegation, the retail income has gone, the commercial income has been cut. The money has to come from somewhere and that is why there had to be an injection of £25 million at the end of last year.

Despite crowds staying around the 40,000 mark, turnstile income has dropped to £14million and hospitality has similarly been more than halved to around £3million.

An immediate return to the Premier League would bank the club around £40million in television revenue alone

Guest icemanblue

"Mike did not want people to know about the loan he put into the club in December," said a club source.

Spot the flaw.

?????????

:lol:

Oh my.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/735093/ASHLEY-MADE-EMERGENCY-LOAN-TO-TOON.html

"Doing this was the only way the club could operate. All the previous sponsorship money had been spent on the Michael Owen deal before Mike Ashley even bought the club.

:facepalm:

I didn't know this. For real?

just one of many horrendous business decisions from that cock. But probably the worst one

Guest malandro

That will be the £20m or so he said he was going to invest into the club when he took us off the market again.

Mike seems to put in (lend) the club (his business) £20m every other week. The total he’s put in (lent) the club (himself) since he decided not to undertake due diligence must now be about three hundred zillion spondoolies.

Guest malandro

It wouldn't surprise me if he had but since he threatened legal action the NotW have opted for pro-Ashley angles. I'm taking it with a pinch of salt.

In the same way Thomson House have changed their tune since the Sunday Sun was banned from SJP? Is that ban still in place?

It wouldn't surprise me if he had but since he threatened legal action the NotW have opted for pro-Ashley angles. I'm taking it with a pinch of salt.

In the same way Thomson House have changed their tune since the Sunday Sun was banned from SJP? Is that ban still in place?

They'll continue to make it up as they go along, same as they always have. Access or not, they'll print shite.

Aye. A national daily has been banned too but I'm barred from divulging which one. It's not a News Corp paper either.

Whatever the opinion on Ashley, the fact is it was reported Barclays were unwilling to back Barry Moat to the same tune during his somewhat pathetic takeover attempt. Like the saying goes, the grass isn't always greener....