Realistic Transfer Targets Summer 2010

Thespence

Whats everyones views on Altidore?

Looks big, strong and fast. Technically decent as well, looks a good player. Only 20 so there might be a chance Villareal might want to loan him out again. Then again he only managed a single goal for Hull last season.

On loan, wouldn't be a bad deal. He's quick and physical, and has a reasonably good fitness record. Aye, didn't have a great season last year, but at this point, I'd consider any reasonable additions to the squad...

I've been really impressed with Altidore in the past couple of games-- especially today. Of course, he's missed a couple of sitters but he's done everything else that could be asked of him. And then he's only 20.  I think I forced myself to watch a couple of Hull games this past season and he was pretty poor. So, I wasn't really expecting anything from him. Pleasantly surprised.

As an American I'd rather he didn't come to Newcastle. I'd rather see him go somewhere where he's going to play every day-- maybe the Championship-- and gain some experience and confidence. Is he going to get any minutes at Villareal? Hope they loan him out to someone who can afford to be patient and give him the minutes.

I think he's quality, don't know how he only scored 1 goal when he pretty much caused every defence he played against a problem.

Very good player. Top 10 quality definitely.

Winston Reid (centre back/right back) of New Zealand has been outstanding in the world cup.....currently playing for a team in Denmark. Though he costs more than Jloyd Samuel so might be out of our price range.

fyp

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Altidore is from the same generation as Freddy Adu and whats he doing now? He's athletic, as any American would be, but he's not a pure footballer. He's all the best bits of Martins and all the worst bits too x10.

Winston Reid (centre back/right back) of New Zealand has been outstanding in the world cup.....currently playing for a team in Denmark. Though he costs more than zero so might be out of our price range.

Reid has stood out to me as well, looks like he could play at a decent level.

Guest Heneage

Winston Reid (centre back/right back) of New Zealand has been outstanding in the world cup.....currently playing for a team in Denmark. Though he costs more than zero so might be out of our price range.

Reid has stood out to me as well, looks like he could play at a decent level.

Former Danish U21 too iirc. Think they said he's playing for Midtjylland(sp) so I think we could get him for around 1.5-2m.

Guest Roger Kint

No need to worry about signings, my mate got a text today from someone saying they drove past the ground and saw Ballack and Eduardo going in............

:facepalm:

Altidore is from the same generation as Freddy Adu and whats he doing now? He's athletic, as any American would be, but he's not a pure footballer. He's all the best bits of Martins and all the worst bits too x10.

Dude, he's 20-years old.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Dude, he's 20-years old.

Well aware of his age, doesn't make my point any less valid. He's pace and strength, with erratic form, poor technique and no composure. Yes, those are part of the game that come with age, but good players have usually developed at least some technique and composure by the age of 20 (certainly the better ones).

Dude, he's 20-years old.

Well aware of his age, doesn't make my point any less valid. He's pace and strength, with erratic form, poor technique and no composure. Yes, those are part of the game that come with age, but good players have usually developed at least some technique and composure by the age of 20 (certainly the better ones).

Would be interesting to see what Drogba's technique and composure were like aged 20.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Dude, he's 20-years old.

Would be interesting to see what Drogba's technique and composure were like aged 20.

Aye, but we weren't asking amongst ourself if we'd be taking Drogba on loan for a season. Why should we develop someone elses 20 year old for a season when we have Nile Ranger (basically similar vein to Alitdore) already on the books? Hell, we've got Ryan Donaldson and Andy Carroll too.

Dude, he's 20-years old.

Aye, but we weren't asking amongst ourself if we'd be taking Drogba on loan for a season. Why should we develop someone elses 20 year old for a season when we have Nile Ranger (basically similar vein to Alitdore) already on the books? Hell, we've got Ryan Donaldson and Andy Carroll too.

Ranger is miles behind Altidore, apples and oranges to be honest.  Not even really similar players.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Dude, he's 20-years old.

Ranger is miles behind Altidore, apples and oranges to be honest.  Not even really similar players.

Both are raw talents that needs developing.

Dude, he's 20-years old.

I wasn't supporting his loan to us, just him as a player. It's ridiculous for you to say he's Martins, except worse when he's 20 and plays a completely different game them him. He's been immense for us this World Cup, he does every little thing no one notices and continues to get flack for it.