Realistic Transfer Targets Summer 2010

Thespence

Not that difficult a question is it? Just everyone seems to be building him up but we've seen this type of thing happen so many times before.

You can only make your judgement based on what you see them do though can't you. He looks to be one of the best players in this league by some distance at the moment. He scores and creates a lot of goals, passes well, seems decent with both feet. 

I reckon we could pick off some players from the relegated teams. I know he's only a loanee at Pompey but a move for Frederic Piquionne could be good.

Jamie O'Hara perhaps?

I can see us going for the kind of player available for £2-3m. I can't see us spending £5m+ like.

Not that difficult a question is it? Just everyone seems to be building him up but we've seen this type of thing happen so many times before.

He's as good as he is in this division, for sure. You mean can he step up to PL and perform? I'd think so, though it'd be a hell of a risk for us in comparison to, say, Citeh.

Airton from Benfica, quickly becoming a Fan hero.

Brazillian Midfielder, And he served up Porto like a kipper on sunday inthe League cup over there, and yet no-ones really mentioning him.

A snappy buy for Benfica at €2.6m in January, Only played 3-4 games though.

Airton from Benfica, quickly becoming a Fan hero.

Brazillian Midfielder, And he served up Porto like a kipper on sunday inthe League cup over there, and yet no-ones really mentioning him.

A snappy buy for Benfica at €2.6m in January, Only played 3-4 games though.

If they've only signed him for €2.6m in January, how realistic is it for us to come in with enough of an offer to prise him away so soon?

He's very young and untested, and I doubt will not have signed another contract.

It's feesable that there's low wages, maybe a buy out clause and other positives in it for us. Is it not possible, maybe probable we could snap him up for 5-6 Million?

Would you sell him if you were Benfica? Could make 4.5 million euro's on what's merely a young prospect who is only currently a back up player.

I don't think i'm being unreasonable by saying this isn't the same as me suggesting Pedro from Barcelona.

I'd take Beye back rather than play Simpson. He'd still do a good job for us. I think he's just bene unfortunate since he moved to Villa. Beye, Bullard (if Hull go down) and O'Hara would be a good start. I know Bullards getting on now and he doesn't fall into our U25 criteria so we probably won't even be in for him like but he would be a good signing depending on wages. We can't really be picky next season, we need to sign players who are going to make sure we stay up first rather than worry about sell on values.

I'd take Beye back rather than play Simpson. He'd still do a good job for us. I think he's just bene unfortunate since he moved to Villa. Beye, Bullard (if Hull go down) and O'Hara would be a good start. I know Bullards getting on now and he doesn't fall into our U25 criteria so we probably won't even be in for him like but he would be a good signing depending on wages. We can't really be picky next season, we need to sign players who are going to make sure we stay up first rather than worry about sell on values.

And how does Bullard make sure we say up if he is on the treatment table for all but 5 games?

Jimmy Bullard ... yikes!

And how does Bullard make sure we say up if he is on the treatment table for all but 5 games?

Jimmy Bullard ... yikes!

True  :lol: He's got some cracking jokes to tell this group of lads though

I think we should go for Owen Hargreaves, he hasn't been getting into the Man Utd squad for a while. Used to be a good player England, don't think Capello likes him though as he hasn't been in (m)any of his squads.

reckon we could get him on the cheap? Could play right back

He's not been in any squads, as he has got a serious knee problem.

Only starting to train again iirc

Would be Smith 2.0 for us. Smith was out for such a long time as well than Big Sam went for him. Not that good move.

No way! He'd be a goalscoring right back, he's as good as Beckham at set pieces, would be good back up to Ryan Taylor when it comes to free-kicks and corners.

According to reports, Routledge has played well but I think we'll need one more winger. Perhaps someone who can feed Carroll with crosses.

How about going for Alessandro Diamanti in case West Ham go down? Saw him play yesterday and thought he was pretty impressive. Good technique and great crosses.

Is Jermaine Pennant past it?

According to reports, Routledge has played well but I think we'll need one more winger. Perhaps someone who can feed Carroll with crosses.

How about going for Alessandro Diamanti in case West Ham go down? Saw him play yesterday and thought he was pretty impressive. Good technique and great crosses.

I would say yes but nonetheless the wages would be unreasonable. Zaragoza does want to get rid.

Google says he's on €2.2m a year. That's... around 35k a week in pounds?

Not sure how realistic this one is (probably not very) but Flamini's rumoured to be on his way out of Milan. He would be a terrific signing for our midfield.

What am I saying? We've got no hope have we?

Anyhow, nice thought.

I would say yes but nonetheless the wages would be unreasonable. Zaragoza does want to get rid.

About £38k, not a big wage at all, but wether he's actually worth it or not I don't know, probably not? ???

About £38k, not a big wage at all, but wether he's actually worth it or not I don't know, probably not? ???

I think Jermaine Pennant is exactly the kind of player we should be avoiding to be honest. Pretty much a wasted talent, the likes of which we've spent far too much money on in recent years.

I'd say Wayne Routledge is a very similar story. Raw talent as a youngster but lost his way, perhaps through transferring at the wrong time?

I think Jermaine Pennant is exactly the kind of player we should be avoiding to be honest. Pretty much a wasted talent, the likes of which we've spent far too much money on in recent years.

I'd say Wayne Routledge is a very similar story. Raw talent as a youngster but lost his way, perhaps through transferring at the wrong time?

This.  The guy's a complete prima donna who thinks he's better than what he is.  Another ex-jailbird, another to avoid.