Ronaldo

M4

Personally think Messi is the best of all time. Ronaldo is my favourite though, hands down. At an age when football was everything to me, watching a player like Ronaldo was completely electrifying. Had he not had the horrendous injuries he did, he'd have gone down as the greatest in my opinion. I loved watching him so much.

How many people here even saw Pele in his prime when they were old enough to fully understand football? Or even Maradona for that matter?

Leads me into a pet hate. People under 45 claiming one way or the other as to who was better between Pele, Maradona or how Messi compares.

Just say who the best footballer in your lifetime is and be done with it.

Decent point, as I never saw Pele except on old vids, and Maradona was past it by the time I paid attention to football. He was a hasbeen playing against Australia in 1993 and a drug cheat at the 94 World Cup.

But to use this notion and go back to HTT's point that Shearer was a better CF than Ronaldo (!), I'd suggest that there were half a dozen or more strikers in my lifetime better than Wor Al.

Apart from Ronaldo, there's Van Basten, Gullit, Weah (admittedly only for 2-3 seasons), Batistuta, Henry - and that's before getting to the debatable ones.

Think Guillit is debatable given that they are very different types of forward. I wouldn't say peak Weah is better than peak Shearer and I reckon Batistuta and Shearer are about the same level.

Yeah Batistuta was class but he didn't do it for as long as Shearer. If there was a rating system for this sort of thing, longevity would be part of it. Hence why Pele and Messi are considered better than James Beattie ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How many people here even saw Pele in his prime when they were old enough to fully understand football? Or even Maradona for that matter?

Leads me into a pet hate. People under 45 claiming one way or the other as to who was better between Pele, Maradona or how Messi compares.

Just say who the best footballer in your lifetime is and be done with it.

Decent point, as I never saw Pele except on old vids, and Maradona was past it by the time I paid attention to football. He was a hasbeen playing against Australia in 1993 and a drug cheat at the 94 World Cup.

But to use this notion and go back to HTT's point that Shearer was a better CF than Ronaldo (!), I'd suggest that there were half a dozen or more strikers in my lifetime better than Wor Al.

Apart from Ronaldo, there's Van Basten, Gullit, Weah (admittedly only for 2-3 seasons), Batistuta, Henry - and that's before getting to the debatable ones.

Everything you've mentioned their is extremely debatable, shudder to think who you'd come up with as debatably better.

I mean Weah better for 2-3 seasons?  Better for a couple of seasons (debatable as well BTW) means fuck all.

• 1 year later...

"Unpopular opinion alert*

Cristiano Ronaldo is GOAT and better than Messi. Pele played in weak leagues in a much easier era. Maradonna was like Gazza, supremely gifted but too mental to make it count.

Shearer was better than Ronaldo too. Not that Ronaldo wasn't one of the greatest strikers of all time...

Cristiano Ronaldo is GOAT and better than Messi. Pele played in weak leagues in a much easier era. Maradonna was like Gazza, supremely gifted but too mental to make it count.

Shearer was better than Ronaldo too. Not that Ronaldo wasn't one of the greatest strikers of all time...

Pele for balance used to get the living shit kicked out of him, C.Ronaldo gets blown on and thinks it should be a free kick, can't see that fanny lasting two minutes with the sort of tackles put in on Pele back then.

Comparing era's never works anyhoo, too many rule changes etc.

Literally all of that is wrong

Disagree with all of that :lol:

Also Brazilian league was not weak . Arguably best in the world back then.

I don't like him. He dives and he cheats. During the euros he signalled to the ref to send off his (later to be revealed during a man utd spin press conference) bezzie mate wayne rooney.

He does some tricks and falls over. Because of that he gets the chance to do more things, perfect those things and have more shots. Devious yet effective career game plan? Yes. Do I enjoy seeing it? Nope.

A very simplistic view, but it's the way I've always felt about him.

30e9df06ce7e2241938d5c8524e170c6.jpg