Beckham out of world cup?

lovejoy

Feel so sorry for him :undecided:

Are you similarly sorry for Michael Owen? He's only been interested in the England squad and money for the past few years too.

No. He looks demotivated, and seems like he is more interested in his horse hobby.

Are you similarly sorry for Michael Owen? He's only been interested in the England squad and money for the past few years too.

No. He looks demotivated, and seems like he is more interested in his horse hobby.

He wouldn't if he was in the England squad. Loves the international team just as much as Becks does.

He wouldn't if he was in the England squad. Loves the international team just as much as Becks does.

I have no sympathy for Michael Owen whatsoever. I will always remember him as a big waste of money. Owen is made of a materiale more fragile than glass, and (if Owen forgets) I will always remember how he drained us with his huge wages and disappointing performances.

England aren't gonna play all 23 though, that never happens. Football isn't just the match itself, especially when you're away for 6 weeks in a hotel. You need all sorts of personalities. I'd bet that if Gazza wasn't goofing around in 1990, England wouldn't have gone that far. But his presence allowed everyone to relax and have a good laugh. As for Beckham, he's the only veteran who the youngsters could speak to and he'd genuinely care in return. I can just imagine Beckham being a calming influence when the going gets tough and thats a vital cog for the machine. Plus his free-kicks!!!

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular, I just think he brings so much other stuff to the table and now he can't be there. Unless Capello thinks he should tag along anyway, but that would be awkward.

England aren't gonna play all 23 though, that never happens. Football isn't just the match itself, especially when you're away for 6 weeks in a hotel. You need all sorts of personalities. I'd bet that if Gazza wasn't goofing around in 1990, England wouldn't have gone that far. But his presence allowed everyone to relax and have a good laugh. As for Beckham, he's the only veteran who the youngsters could speak to and he'd genuinely care in return. I can just imagine Beckham being a calming influence when the going gets tough and thats a vital cog for the machine. Plus his free-kicks!!!

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular, I just think he brings so much other stuff to the table and now he can't be there. Unless Capello thinks he should tag along anyway, but that would be awkward.

Agree with your observations. Beckham's value to England is more outside the field than on it (though he would have still played a part and maybe got 1-2 assists). I can see Beckham playing that mentor sort of role as a player who has seen it all before to calm the nerves of some of the young ones who might be nervous playing in the first WC.

The latest news indicates that Capello does want Beckham to play a role (not as a player obviously) in the World Cup, the role is still vague, but for someone like Capello to make that invitation says it all on Beckham's value to the England camp.

Agree with your observations. Beckham's value to England is more outside the field than on it (though he would have still played a part and maybe got 1-2 assists). I can see Beckham playing that mentor sort of role as a player who has seen it all before to calm the nerves of some of the young ones who might be nervous playing in the first WC.

The latest news indicates that Capello does want Beckham to play a role (not as a player obviously) in the World Cup, the role is still vague, but for someone like Capello to make that invitation says it all on Beckham's value to the England camp.

If that's true (and I doubt it), then it would be a mistake. Beckham should stay well away from the training camp. The players don't need the distraction of an injured colleague who will be having to deal with his own feelings at missing out.

I've got to say that this idea that Beckham acts as a mentor to other players is a very, very recent idea. It only seems to have circulated after the prospect of him missing out has arisen, and looks like a kind of sympathy vote. Beckham doesn't look to me like a coach in the making.

Guest Stephen927

Now it is time for the likes of SWP, Lennon, Walcott especially, to step up and prove they can hold down a role on that flank. Beckham had 3 World Cups, he's had a good career and it's not nice to see his international career go like this but his role in South Africa would have been marginal from the bench.

Guest bobthemag

if he had been younger and fit enough to play every game he would have been the best captain now that Terry has lost it. He could have sat on the bench and came on in a tight game.

Capello's apparently told Sky Sports that he has room in his squad for Beckham when the EC qualifiers come around as "he is still one of the best players in England".

Does Capello even know if he'll be manager of England that time?

Capello's apparently told Sky Sports that he has room in his squad for Beckham when the EC qualifiers come around as "he is still one of the best players in England".

Does Capello even know if he'll be manager of England that time?

I dunno, just saying what I've read in the paper.

Guest Stephen927

Carol Anne Duffy has wrote a poem about it.

ACHILLES BY CAROL ANN DUFFY

Myth's river- where his mother dipped him, fished him, a slippery golden boy flowed on, his name on its lips.

Without him, it was prophesised, they would not take Troy.

Women hid him, concealed him in girls' sarongs; days of sweetmeats, spices, silver songs...

But when Odysseus came, with an athlete's build, a sword and a shield, he followed him to the battlefield, the crowd's roar,

And it was sport, not war, his charmed foot on the ball...

But then his heel, his heel, his heel...

Myth's river- where his mother dipped him, fished him, a slippery golden boy flowed on, his name on its lips.

Women hid him, concealed him in girls' sarongs; days of sweetmeats, spices, silver songs...

But when Odysseus came, with an athlete's build, a sword and a shield, he followed him to the battlefield, the crowd's roar,

Shite that like.  She's no Simon Armitage.

Guest Stephen927

s**** that like.  She's no Simon Armitage.

Ah, GCSE poetry. I saw them live in Jesmond in Year 11, they read poetry and talked through their poems, boring stuff and it cost something like £15 to get in.

Guest Stephen927

Ah, GCSE poetry. I saw them live in Jesmond in Year 11, they read poetry and talked through their poems, boring stuff and it cost something like £15 to get in.

HALFCAST!!

Yep, he was there too. :lol:

Nutjob, tbh.

HALFCAST!!

Nutjob, tbh.

Doesn't surprise me, remember getting shown a video of him reading halfcast and he did seem to have some serious issues  :lol:

I wish I could be sure that's a pisstake. It is sooooooooooooooo bad.

Guest Stephen927

HALFCAST!!

Nutjob, tbh.

Doesn't surprise me, remember getting shown a video of him reading halfcast and he did seem to have some serious issues  :lol:

I gave him some loose change outside after the show.

Just saw him say it himself on the news, seems he value Beckham more than it has appeared tbh.

I can see Beckham finishing with him going "home" and playing for the Hammers for 1 season it would just round it off.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/football/760479/BECKS-CAN-STRIKE-GOLD-AT-WEST-HAM.html

F*ck me that didn't take long. The Galaxy will certainly release him and they need a replacement anyway considering their season is close to finishing when he comes back from injury.