Roy Hodgson appointed new England manager

Ishmael

"Hang getting the best English manager, because one look at the league table says that's Redknapp. FA Cup winner in 2008, League Cup finalist in 2009, Champions League qualifier in 2010, Champions League quarter-finalist in 2011, top four again in 2012, and by popular consent architect of the most attractive team in the Premier League. And he's not for them.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2137123/Roy-Hodgson--Is-England-job-Mr-Average.html#ixzz1tTnGWEW8"

Makes me f***ing angry, that. So disrespectful.

Poor guy is a turnip before a ball has been kicked.

That article came straight out of Page 1 of journalistic cliches - successful maverick is passed over in favour of establishment man.

Martin Samuel writes in a very catchy and fluent style, but the content doesn't always match up. I don't know how he has the nerve to say at the end 'The pity for Hodgson is that, as at Liverpool, he may be rejected in the minds of many before the job has even begun'.

If you think it's a pity, Martin, I don't think you're helping.

Martin Samuel is a very strange journalist in relation to the quality of his articles.  Sometimes capable of writing some intelligent, thought-provoking stuff that is far more interesting than your run of the mill football journalists, but other times he just writes utter nonsense.  This being one of the utter nonsense articles.

Hodgson would be a joke of a manager for England, look at how he was when at Liverpool. The bloke can't handle pressure and pressure is something which he'll get plenty of if he became the national manager.

Redknapp collapsed as soon as he was even linked with the job.

I like Hodgson and I think that he will be someone managing the new national football centre when he isnt managing England which is something Redknapp would never do.

He may even just do one tournament and then take on a more Houllier role.

yep Redknapp would be hanging out in sandbanks half the time, swanning around premiership games at weekends and wining and dining the london media the rest of the time.

as for the houllier role not sure hodgson has the vision or expertise working with young players for something like that. but while he is england manager i think he'll do a good enough job and get involved with the other age brackets and overall structure better than redknapp would.

"Hang getting the best English manager, because one look at the league table says that's Redknapp. FA Cup winner in 2008, League Cup finalist in 2009, Champions League qualifier in 2010, Champions League quarter-finalist in 2011, top four again in 2012, and by popular consent architect of the most attractive team in the Premier League. And he's not for them.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2137123/Roy-Hodgson--Is-England-job-Mr-Average.html#ixzz1tTnGWEW8"

Makes me f***ing angry, that. So disrespectful.

Poor guy is a turnip before a ball has been kicked.

That article came straight out of Page 1 of journalistic cliches - successful maverick is passed over in favour of establishment man.

Martin Samuel writes in a very catchy and fluent style, but the content doesn't always match up. I don't know how he has the nerve to say at the end 'The pity for Hodgson is that, as at Liverpool, he may be rejected in the minds of many before the job has even begun'.

If you think it's a pity, Martin, I don't think you're helping.

Martin Samuel is a very strange journalist in relation to the quality of his articles.  Sometimes capable of writing some intelligent, thought-provoking stuff that is far more interesting than your run of the mill football journalists, but other times he just writes utter nonsense.  This being one of the utter nonsense articles.

Yeah, he's capable of an original take on things. This wasn't one of them.

There are some issues with Redknapp that are much easier to ignore when you don't have the responsibility for the decision.

The idea that Harry Redknapp is a better manager than Roy Hodgson is total bollocks IMO, the guy is a smart tactician and very, very experienced. Redknapp may have the edge in short term man management/motivation, but that doesn't mean he's clearly better for the job.

Spot on.

The Spurs players responded to Redknapp because none of them could understand Ramos' tactics and that regime brought in rules that would never work in England no matter how good it was, you must eat one portion of chicken with 125 grams of pasta 3 hours before a match, no you cannot eat tomato ketchup with the meal etc, etc.....

Any English manager would have got a positive response from the majority of the players.  I honestly believe Hodgson would have been more successful at Spurs than Redknapp.

I will give you a project to find examples in the past where fans and media of a national team have been understanding about anything. You will fail miserably. Those who are most passionate about the international game do not deal in the long-term for some reason.

I guess you're right but as you said to begin with, taking over a team just before a tournament with minimal preparation is far from ideal so you'd hope Hodgson would be given a bit of leeway, although we all know he won't.

Quarter finals would represent a big success this summer, that's where we're at.  If we go out at the group stages then Hodgson still needs a full 2 year cycle to try to stamp his mark on the team, any other reaction would be pretty farcial.

The idea that Harry Redknapp is a better manager than Roy Hodgson is total bollocks IMO, the guy is a smart tactician and very, very experienced. Redknapp may have the edge in short term man management/motivation, but that doesn't mean he's clearly better for the job.

Spot on.

The Spurs Liverpool players responded to Redknapp Dalglish because none of them could understand RamosHodgsons tactics

And yet Mad Kenny has done no better than Hodgson with 120m spent.

Roy's career isn't defined by a poor 6 months at a crisis club. The job he did at Fulham for one was better than anything in Redknapp's career, actually improving players through coaching season after season, something Redknapp's never done.

A lot of hatred for Redknapp, yet he's always somehow or another managed to get a club to overperform when he's there. I think Hodgson is a miles better choice than Redknapp however, as I believe he does this to an even better degree. Then there's his European managerial pedigree, he's done it everywhere.

I think England are the Stoke City of world football and a manager like Hodgson would do well with us.

And yet Mad Kenny has done no better than Hodgson with 120m spent.

Roy's career isn't defined by a poor 6 months at a crisis club. The job he did at Fulham for one was better than anything in Redknapp's career, actually improving players through coaching season after season, something Redknapp's never done.

I know Dalglish hasnt done any better in his first full season, but the point is the players clearly got a huge lift after Hodgson left as he was too busy getting flustered & distracted with the attention that comes with managing a big club/team to actually get the best out of his players. I know Hodgson did really well at Fulham fair play.

I would say that, were Redknapp to get the gig, I would feel less guilty about spitting bile & demanding that he fucks off after our all to predictable demise.

I would probably relish it.

Alternatively, I`d feel a tad guilty about that with Hodgson, what with that bemused hang dog look he sported before the scousers chucked him.

Kind of like telling your old man to fuck off after he ruined the carpet cos the wife convinced you to let him have a go at painting the living room.

I`ve just got a bad feeling about this

Guest PhilB

People criticizing the media, skysports etc are fair enough, but skysports especially are ones who brush Hodgsons failure at Liverpool under the carpet. "His hands were tied" etc, much like they do about Allardyce's time here. Hodgson was totally uninspiring, couldnt get the team playing with any fluidly, constantly playing players out of position, getting involved with public spats with the fans & media very early on, and having a meltdown on the touchline that would only depress the players further! He wasnt the likable, innocent gent he's potrayed as.

Yes Redknapp is a t***, no hes not likeable either, but would have Hodgson done at Spurs what Redknapp has? "But Spurs should be up there they have class players"... so why wasnt everyone tipping them for top 4 the season they broke in? He did inherit a good squad, and the wheeling dealing t*** got the best out of them, got them gelling and organised as a team. Roy Hodgson definetely did not do that with his Liverpool squad. Hodgson has the advantage of knowing the International set up better, but I think Redknapp would have been the better bet to get more out of these players.

That is practically spot on.

Also, Hodgson brought in terrible players in Konchesky, Poulsen, Cole, brought Aurelio back when he'd been released because of age and injury record, and Meireles.  Of those only Meireles turned out to be good and that was only when Kenny took over.  He seemed to like older players as far as I could see, and was prepared to pay good money for them, as well as use decent youngsters as part of the deal.  In the process of buying players he tried to sell Agger, Lucas and a few others, was critical of Johnson, and brought in a 73 yr old GK coach to work with Reina.

As for senior players making his life awkward, both Carragher and Gerrard were wanting him appointed from before Rafa left, egged on by Gerrards best mate, Danny Murphy, who couldn't speak highly enough of Hodgson.

The press say that Liverpool fans wanted him out before he was in because they wanted Dalglish, that's not strictly true.  Most didn't want him appointed, and thought he was a big, big downgrade from Rafa, who was still very popular. The majority wanted AVB funnily enough, but would have happily had Kenny as caretaker manager until new owners came in.  As it was Hodgson was appointed and the majority of fans, although not happy with it, gave him a chance and hoped he'd do far better than they expected.  He didn't, and by November they'd had enough of his football, press conferences and continuous self praise.

Our league results this season haven't been good, but the team has played far better football than I ever saw under Hodgson who produced the most turgid shit I've ever seen, and we played some bad football under Houllier.  We've also reached two finals, and I'm thrilled with that.  If we actually manage to win the FA Cup as well I'll be wrecked for a week, it will always be trophies for me above 4th place.

I dont like redknapp as he blabs about our players, when he should say "i cant talk about players who are not contracted to Spurs".

Re the england job, I generally couldn't give a fck...sick of the media hype about the team and job.  We are as a nation a QF team and thats it, thats where are football takes us and no bellend in the FA has the balls to try and change the football from the ground up...the FA "nobs" are only interested in swanning about being in the "FA" and spending other peopels money.

For me personally, Roy would be fucking mad to take the job on.

Redknapp meh, tho it would give him the stage to talk about as many players as he wants, I bet he still wouldn't get past a QF.

And dont fool yourself in thinking he would.

Don't give much of a shit to be honest! 

FWIW I reckon Arry would've been decent for England and we'd have seen some good attacking football, unlike the tedious crap served up by Capello.  On the other hand I don't think I could bear the media bukake fest if he actually started doing well as England manager.

Woy seems like he knows what he's doing and he's not an utter twat so good luck to him.

A lot of hatred for Redknapp, yet he's always somehow or another managed to get a club to overperform when he's there. I think Hodgson is a miles better choice than Redknapp however, as I believe he does this to an even better degree. Then there's his European managerial pedigree, he's done it everywhere.

I think England are the Stoke City of world football and a manager like Hodgson would do well with us.

Southampton didn't overachieve much, which is why he fucked off back to Portsmouth first chance he got.