Sunderland...

Heron

I think he'll be good but I don't think Sunderland will see the best of him. He'll show potential in the next couple of seasons, maybe get around 10 a season which will make the likes of Man Utd think he's got what it takes, and they'll sign him.

Mr Mackem friend was trying to make the figures sound positive - he was using the £24m figure for Bent (despite that being the maximum it potentially rises to and also ignoring the fact they paid £6m+ to Spurs), yet using the £9m for Wickham. Talk about massaging the figures.

I think he'll be good but I don't think Sunderland will see the best of him. He'll show potential in the next couple of seasons, maybe get around 10 a season which will make the likes of Man Utd think he's got what it takes, and they'll sign him.

Precisely. It's a baffling move. If Wickham set his heart on playing in the Prem, he may as well go to a bigger club IMO.

For Sunderland, why on earth did they go for him? It's not like he's been bought as some sort of project for the future - they need him to score goals, quick. And that's frankly unfair on the lad, he doesn't deserve that pressure so young.

Precisely. It's a baffling move. If Wickham set his heart on playing in the Prem, he may as well go to a bigger club IMO.

For Sunderland, why on earth did they go for him? It's not like he's been bought as some sort of project for the future - they need him to score goals, quick. And that's frankly unfair on the lad, he doesn't deserve that pressure so young.

Yep. If anything it's the sort of signing Ashley would be accused of making. He's not what they need at all, they'll make £8-10m on him without a doubt in a couple of years, but he'll not do what they really need on the pitch in that time imo.

Could be an outstanding signing that like, fair play.

Canny jelly

Pretty jelly too, it's probably the Carroll effect but I was excited about the prospect of him coming here. With Ba coming and Ben Arfa being the number 10 the lad would have been been back up but still would have been an exciting signing.

Just hope he does a 'Jones'.

Great price.

Nah I'd have been ok with us paying that for him and I'd be optimistic that he'd improve enough given time to be worth that fee.  But I wouldn't be calling £8m rising to £12m for a player with a Championship goal record of 1 in 4.5 a great price.  Much better than £12m outright though which would have been a ridiculous fee.

It's certainly an ambitious signing, and the right kind of ambitious signing for a club like Sunderland - rather than spunking 80k p/w on some Luque equivalent.

But it is a big gamble as far as their strikeforce goes for next season.

It's the right way to go to throw him in at the deep-end IMO, but there is still a good chance he'll sink. We shall see.

It's a good signing for them, the real problem is though that they are buying shit in midfield who won't create many chances for him. It reminds me of us a few years ago where we had a decent forward line but no one to provide them with anything.

It's a good signing for them, the real problem is though that they are buying s*** in midfield who won't create many chances for him. it reminds me of us a few years ago where we had a decent forward line but no one to provide them with anything.

What's his main strength? Heading? Larsson & Wickham could potentially be Barton & Carroll Lite.

Alternatively it could also be Whitehead & Stead.

It's a good signing for them, the real problem is though that they are buying s*** in midfield who won't create many chances for him. it reminds me of us a few years ago where we had a decent forward line but no one to provide them with anything.

What's his main strength? Heading? Larsson & Wickham could potentially be Barton & Carroll Lite.

Alternatively it could also be Whitehead & Stead.

He's better on the ground than people give him credit for, quite an all round player. Would do better for Liverpool than carroll, shocked they didn't gor for him.