Messi

Thespence

We were talking about this at the pub. For us, he's without a doubt the best player in the world, and we're all questioning what the likes of Maradona could be better at to be considered better than Messi.The lad is just incredible.

Diego M - I think he could do everything that Messi could with a ball but he was leader, he could inspire others & carry a whole teams to Championships world or domestic football.  Best player I have ever seen & I saw Billy Askew.

We were talking about this at the pub. For us, he's without a doubt the best player in the world, and we're all questioning what the likes of Maradona could be better at to be considered better than Messi.The lad is just incredible.

Diego M - I think he could do everything that Messi could with a ball but he was leader, he could inspire others & carry a whole teams to Championships world or domestic football.  Best player I have ever seen & I saw Billy Askew.

I've never seen Maradona week in, week out, so I can't compare the two. I see what you're saying about Maradona, but at the moment, how could you perform better than what Messi is doing? Pretty much on his own is he making sure Barca are in the semi finals of the Champions League and in the race to win La Liga. Granted, he's got better team mates than Maradona had at Napoli when he won them the league pretty much on his own, but I just can't imagine how amazing someone would have to be to better than Messi at the moment.

Guest firetotheworks

Messi's certainly the best player I've seen. Even better than the original Ronaldo. I love this quote. I'm not sure who said it, it's either Bentdner, Almunia or Guardiola.

"You have to try to anticipate what he's going to do, but it's so difficult because he can do what he wants.

Very talented obviously, one of the best. Still I can't stand the little cunt, just something about his face that would make me enjoy punching it in, no idea what like. Didn't think Barca were all that tonight aside from him and it was becoming a dour contest until Arsenal scored and that set him alight. As for his individual goals. Only thought the first and the chipped finish were anything special, the other two, meh.

Unbelievable...Some people here tend to believe that Wayne Rooney is better than Leonel Messi. I never figure out how they get this idea but I know they would still come out with different points trying to win that debate.

:lol:

The best I've seen in my lifetime, but I didn't see Pele, Maradona or Cruyff at their peak, so it's hard to compare.

He's definitely a player you'll be telling your grandkids about so that puts him into a category where only one other resides in for me (Shearer).

Very different eras of football so to say he's the "best ever" is hard but to say he's in the same class wouldn't be a stretch.  There are players that come around every once and a while and are of a different class - ones like Pele, Maradona, Zidane, etc - and I think you can safely put Messi in that category at the moment.  If he wins the WC then he will definitely stay there too.

Best player I have ever seen & I saw Billy Askew.

Sadly lost on the vast majority here mate, but I chuckled nonetheless. I'll never forget a certain journalist once writing "Billy Askew literally ran himself into the ground"....

Very different eras of football so to say he's the "best ever" is hard but to say he's in the same class wouldn't be a stretch.  There are players that come around every once and a while and are of a different class - ones like Pele, Maradona, Zidane, etc - and I think you can safely put Messi in that category at the moment.  If he wins the WC then he will definitely stay there too.

I never sort of put Zidane in the Pele/Maradona bracket.

Best player I have ever seen & I saw Billy Askew.

Sadly lost on the vast majority here mate, but I chuckled nonetheless. I'll never forget a certain journalist once writing "Billy Askew literally ran himself into the ground"....

Billy like Messi was a once in lifetime player :pow:

Guest firetotheworks

A question for anyone who watches him alot:

How will Messi adapt his game once he hits his late 20's-ish?

I haven't been able to catch much of him this season, but saw every Barca game last season. I can see him playing like Beardsley did for us, except obviously much better.

I can't fucking stand that little bastard. Yeah he's a fantastic player but an annoying, cheating, diving bastard nonetheless. How about some fucking dignity and respect for the game? He's the kind of player to applaud a referee for sending off an opponent who didn't touch him. The thing with Messi is that all people who hate CRonaldo for his antics have no problems whatsoever with Messi for exactly the same stuff.

Goes for the whole Barca team really. Lost track of the number of times in their games when one of them falls over clutching the ball, and the ref falls for it every single time. It's sickening tbh. It's almost like they have a godgiven right to play football exactly how they want it. If it gets a bit tough there's always some wanker ref there to help them.

I'll probably get slated for this, but for everything that's good about Barca there are a couple of things that are absolutely infuriating as well. Don't get me wrong, when they're on their game, they are absolutely excellent, but it's the little sly digs and falling over that does me in. They're good enough without having to con the ref and at the same time the general public IMO.

I can't fucking stand that little bastard. Yeah he's a fantastic player but an annoying, cheating, diving bastard nonetheless. How about some fucking dignity and respect for the game? He's the kind of player to applaud a referee for sending off an opponent who didn't touch him. The thing with Messi is that all people who hate CRonaldo for his antics have no problems whatsoever with Messi for exactly the same stuff.

Goes for the whole Barca team really. Lost track of the number of times in their games when one of them falls over clutching the ball, and the ref falls for it every single time. It's sickening tbh. It's almost like they have a godgiven right to play football exactly how they want it. If it gets a bit tough there's always some wanker ref there to help them.

I'll probably get slated for this, but for everything that's good about Barca there are a couple of things that are absolutely infuriating as well. Don't get me wrong, when they're on their game, they are absolutely excellent, but it's the little sly digs and falling over that does me in. They're good enough without having to con the ref and at the same time the general public IMO.

Name me a team that doesn't use gamesmanship to win.

I can't, but if it was Drogba doing half the shit that Barca do, the whole place would be up in arms about it.

I must be watching a different team. I've barely seen Messi do any of the stuff people are on about. The odd occasion, aye, but not to warrant such full-blown slating.

Guest firetotheworks

I can't f***ing stand that little b******. Yeah he's a fantastic player but an annoying, cheating, diving b****** nonetheless. How about some f***ing dignity and respect for the game? He's the kind of player to applaud a referee for sending off an opponent who didn't touch him. The thing with Messi is that all people who hate CRonaldo for his antics have no problems whatsoever with Messi for exactly the same stuff.

Goes for the whole Barca team really. Lost track of the number of times in their games when one of them falls over clutching the ball, and the ref falls for it every single time. It's sickening tbh. It's almost like they have a godgiven right to play football exactly how they want it. If it gets a bit tough there's always some w***** ref there to help them.

I can't, but if it was Drogba doing half the s*** that Barca do, the whole place would be up in arms about it.

Yeah, because Drogba doesn't write poetry with his feet. Messi does. Ronaldo doesn't either. Ronaldo's much more of a show pony, which I think gets peoples backs up. Messi might use gamesmanship, but nothing on the level of Drogba or Ronaldo, he certainly plays it as more of a man than them both, and is a champion mile better. It's much easier to forgive when you're constantly gobsmacked.