NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

With a bit of imagination, you could probably do quite a bit with a limited amount of money but I don't think we have the knowledge or experience to do that.  If we have spent £1.5m on Perch, I am sure that could have been better invested.  

Try telling that bunch of amateurs cos we know what to do but they have better ideas as they are blind to the bleeding obvious

I'm sure Ashley and Houghton know that we're lacking quality, but if we've got no money to spend on decent players - what else can we do?

We can only afford to buy players on the cheap and go for cheap loan deals.

Even if they do know, the fact that nothing is being done about it is ridiculous. As you said, all we can afford to do is buy players on the cheap and get players in on loan, but the fact of the matter is, we have failed to even do that successfully.

But we don't know that.

Hughton is renowned for not giving much away to the press.  Take last season for example; we signed Hall, Van Aanholt, Routledge on the quiet and it was pretty much a surprise as we heard no news about this leading up to the signings.

I'm sure we'll bring in more cover before the deadline.

From the Chronicle:

United have been also been linked with FC Twente’s Cheick Tiote with reports in Holland that Hughton is keen to bring the 24-year-old midfielder to St James’.

Hughton’s response to the talk was: “My line on that one is that it’s just speculation.”

:omg:

FFS i can barely stop  :spit: this is just so predictable i want to slap CH

Some people still seem shocked that it doesn't look like Ashley is investing much money in the squad. He said that was what he was going to do in his "no capital outlay" statement, it was more of a surprise that we shelled out some money for Perch tbh.

Ashley clearly thinks that with a few cheap/no capital cost additions we have a squad that can stay up - and if we can get a player of genuine quality for "no capital outlay"so much the better but if not, so be it. As it happens I also think the current squad can stay up, but there's clearly a risk (especially if there is an injury epidemic), and I doubt it would be in much better than about 15th place...And it looks like that's a gamble Ashley is prepared to take.

I can't see any true fan supporting this strategy but that's what we are stuck with.

I just don't see how that's possible. Where will the goals come from?

Carroll should be a good targetman and will cause problems, but if he hits double figures in the PL I'll be surprised. Lovenkrands has never been a great goalscorer. Shola might get a few but he's far too erratic to rely on for anything. Xisco won't feature, Best is shite, Ranger is a tit.

In midfield, Routledge has scored 8 goals since leaving Crystal Palace 5 years ago. Jonas will be lucky to get a shot off at somepoint this year. Guthrie will probably score a goal or two from long range but he's not much of a threat to get beyond the frontmen. Barton looked like a guy with goals in him at City but since he's moved to Newcastle he's been poor in this regard. Smith is a disgrace.

The only one is Nolan, but he offers nothing else to the team whatsoever and thus makes it less likely for the other players on the pitch to score while he's around.

We need players, ideally a midfielder/winger type with a bit of flair and a strike partner for Carroll.

The current squad would be lucky to score 30 Premiership goals this season, very hard to stay up doing that.

Guest andyburn

You do wonder if managers get as annoyed as us when the press print rumour and speculation?  Oh to be a manager, "If you don't hear it from me, it isn't happening." would be what I would state, and if any of the scum wrote a word out of line, ban them.

As far as "in the know" go...I did I heard a rumour that they know nothing....

From the Chronicle:

United have been also been linked with FC Twente’s Cheick Tiote with reports in Holland that Hughton is keen to bring the 24-year-old midfielder to St James’.

Hughton’s response to the talk was: “My line on that one is that it’s just speculation.”

:omg:

FFS i can barely stop  :spit: this is just so predictable i want to slap CH

he does nothing wrong. why should he say anything? to be honest I usually does´t read what Hughton has to say about transfers because I know he won´t say anything of interest.

Some people still seem shocked that it doesn't look like Ashley is investing much money in the squad. He said that was what he was going to do in his "no capital outlay" statement, it was more of a surprise that we shelled out some money for Perch tbh.

Ashley clearly thinks that with a few cheap/no capital cost additions we have a squad that can stay up - and if we can get a player of genuine quality for "no capital outlay"so much the better but if not, so be it. As it happens I also think the current squad can stay up, but there's clearly a risk (especially if there is an injury epidemic), and I doubt it would be in much better than about 15th place...And it looks like that's a gamble Ashley is prepared to take.

I can't see any true fan supporting this strategy but that's what we are stuck with.

I just don't see how that's possible. Where will the goals come from?

Carroll should be a good targetman and will cause problems, but if he hits double figures in the PL I'll be surprised. Lovenkrands has never been a great goalscorer. Shola might get a few but he's far too erratic to rely on for anything. Xisco won't feature, Best is shite, Ranger is a tit.

In midfield, Routledge has scored 8 goals since leaving Crystal Palace 5 years ago. Jonas will be lucky to get a shot off at somepoint this year. Guthrie will probably score a goal or two from long range but he's not much of a threat to get beyond the frontmen. Barton looked like a guy with goals in him at City but since he's moved to Newcastle he's been poor in this regard. Smith is a disgrace.

The only one is Nolan, but he offers nothing else to the team whatsoever and thus makes it less likely for the other players on the pitch to score while he's around.

We need players, ideally a midfielder/winger type with a bit of flair and a strike partner for Carroll.

The current squad would be lucky to score 30 Premiership goals this season, very hard to stay up doing that.

At least our defence is water tight though...oh wait...

Hughton has been like a monotone robot this summer. The bloke has said not one word of interest.

Yeah, because they know how everyone over reacts and gets antsy. The Ben Arfa thing would have just been "speculation" too. Were it not for that mad man Dassier. Then there would have been no 200+ page thread and people wanting to committ suicide.

No matter what you think about Ashley and co . One thing that would be really interesting to know is what they really are thinking. are they as stupid as some make up? for example that Ashley thinks we have a smashing team, or are they doing the right things that we fans does´t appreciate because we don´t know the whole story? You know. dark knights :kinnear:

anyway. i dont think i the only one that would like to know :doh: but my point is. why bothering so much when you can´t do anything about it? you only gets frustrated. i know. i been there.

ATB, think you make an interesting point there.

I doubt Ashley thinks we have a great team, he's just balancing the risk and probability of relegation against the level of investment required for success. Some people might call that gambling, it's certainly not what we usually see from NUFC, historically.

Hughton has been like a monotone robot this summer. The bloke has said not one word of interest.

Yeah, because they know how everyone over reacts and gets antsy.

Well, his current technique has certainly solved that problem, hasn't it :lol:

It's still a bit premature to say we're not going to buy/loan anyone of quality. Who knows what we're working on behind the scenes...

If it wasn't for the Marseille president we wouldn't even know we were looking at Ben Arfa.

Fair enough, if we haven't got anyone of decent quality by September 1st, but we've still got 11 days.

Word up.

Guest sicko2ndbest

The thing thst gets me is we would still have a number of saleable assets should we go down again.

If need be i am sure premiership clubs would come in for:

STaylor - entitled to compensation

Enrique - good player

Nolan - Big reputation that superseeds his actual ability

Smith - See Nolan

Jonas - Sellable particularly on the continent

Colo - See above

We wouldnt get a lot in ways of fees for these but they would trim our wage bill. In terms of getting new blood in we would be able to compete with every club in the land for signitures outside of the top half of the premier league

My point is with an outlay of 10 million i think we would stay up comfortably but should the worst happen trimming our squad and filling the gaps wouldnt be a massive issue

Personally, i'm not looking for Hughton to constantly open his mouth in the media with regards to transfers. Quite frankly it gets boring and tiresome hearing people like Redknapp opening their gobs all the time and i'm glad Chris is different (even if he is toeing the line).

On the other hand i would like to see us complete a couple of transfers.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Hughton on Tiote (Today's press conference):

"It's a name we're aware of, but like so many of the names, it's speculation."

:lol:

Now why does that sound familiar?