NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Routledge is a better player than Gradel.

This

Disagree. Have seen Leeds a couple of times. And I think Gradel is a better player. First of all, Gradel works like an idiot, second he's a decent finisher, with 12 goals as a winger/attacker. Routledge on the other hand shoots like a newborn. Third, Gradel is able to cross, which Routledge is totally incapable of. He's similar in Rouledge in that he tends to make football more difficult than it is sometimes. But overall, Gradel is a better player.

You obviously didn't watch Routledge last season. He takes the absolute piss out of the Championship, but it's probably his level - just like it's Gradel's.

Nor has he watched Routledge at QPR this - Out performing Gradel. Routledge is a better player all round imo

Routledge is a better player than Gradel.

This

Disagree. Have seen Leeds a couple of times. And I think Gradel is a better player. First of all, Gradel works like an idiot, second he's a decent finisher, with 12 goals as a winger/attacker. Routledge on the other hand shoots like a newborn. Third, Gradel is able to cross, which Routledge is totally incapable of. He's similar in Rouledge in that he tends to make football more difficult than it is sometimes. But overall, Gradel is a better player.

You obviously didn't watch Routledge last season. He takes the absolute piss out of the Championship, but it's probably his level - just like it's Gradel's.

Nor has he watched Routledge at QPR this - Out performing Gradel. Routledge is a better player all round imo

That Routledge is ruling the Wankership, doesn't mean that he will master PL better than Gradel. Routledge has again and again showed that he doesn't have the technique, brain, physique or working capability to master PL. Gradel on the other hand works much harder, is tougher in the duels (despite his limited body) and shoots/crosses 10 times better.

Guest Brazilianbob

Two years ago Gradel couldn't get in a very poor leicester side and was sent on loan to Leeds in league 1 where he didn't feature in every game but only made ocasional sub appearances. Granted he is now a regular in the Championship but I seriously doubt whether he will ever make an EPL player!  He is CCC level at best.  Lua Lua is better than Gradel!

Guest taps01

Two years ago Gradel couldn't get in a very poor leicester side and was sent on loan to Leeds in league 1 where he didn't feature in every game but only made ocasional sub appearances. Granted he is now a regular in the Championship but I seriously doubt whether he will ever make an EPL player!  He is CCC level at best.  Lua Lua is better than Gradel!

Really?

Two years ago Gradel couldn't get in a very poor leicester side and was sent on loan to Leeds in league 1 where he didn't feature in every game but only made ocasional sub appearances. Granted he is now a regular in the Championship but I seriously doubt whether he will ever make an EPL player!  He is CCC level at best.  Lua Lua is better than Gradel!

Really?

Agreed. A harsh critique of Gradel who've 12 goals for Leeds  this season. Lua's experience on the other hand is mostly from League 1

Guest Flatline

Being a norwegian seeing us linked with Riise as Enriques replacement should he go, gives me mixed feelings bit of both really.

Riise is absolute class, massive shot and passing foot, set pieces and long balls he is probably bartons equal with a better shot.

That being said he is 30, but he is a athlete through and through and is probably good for another 3-4 years.

Hes 1 year younger than Evra afaik, and evra is hardly over the top ( been a bit this season but you know what I mean).

Riise aint my dream left back signing, but hes hardly the worst. class player most of the time, and norways best national squad player by a landslide.

Anyway, just my 2 cents in case u wondered what norwegian Geordies think of it.

We've always been linked with Riise but never went for him. It's bollocks, I reckon.

Although saying that, we were also always linked with Sol Campbell but never got him until he was way past it.  :undecided:

We've always been linked with Riise but never went for him. It's bollocks, I reckon.

Although saying that, we were also always linked with Sol Campbell but never got him until he was way past it.  :undecided:

We'll probably get Riise in about 2 years. Just to make extra sure we get him when he's shocking.

Based on what you've just looked up via wiki?

Pathetic. Lua Lua isn't in the same league yet.

From what I've seen of Gradel, he wouldn't be much of an upgrade on Routledge.

Lua Lua hasn't developed at the pace I was hoping, but he's still only 20. Potentially, he's far better than either of them.

I've seen plenty of Gradel and although he has potential, he is definitely not ready for the Premier League yet by a long stretch.

He loses the ball a lot in the championship and has a tendency to try to do too much on his own so he'd be a liability at the top level right now.

Fair enough he's got a few goals and a few assists but he will not improve us in any way. Given some decent coaching and a slow introduction to first team action he might be alright but I'd rather we signed players who can do a job in the first team straight away.

I've seen plenty of Gradel and although he has potential, he is definitely not ready for the Premier League yet by a long stretch.

He loses the ball a lot in the championship and has a tendency to try to do too much on his own so he'd be a liability at the top level right now.

Fair enough he's got a few goals and a few assists but he will not improve us in any way. Given some decent coaching and a slow introduction to first team action he might be alright but I'd rather we signed players who can do a job in the first team straight away.

He's 24 in November.

He's 24 in November.

Doesn't really matter how old he is, he's not good enough.

It's still possible to have potential to improve at that age - he's already proven that this season - but it would be an unnecessary risk IMO

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/03/06/pardew-lines-up-left-back-and-french-striker-79310-28286981/

Pardew lines up left-back and French striker

Mar 6 2011 by Mark Douglas, Sunday Sun

NEWCASTLE United scouts are out in force at the Continent’s top games again this weekend – but realistic Alan Pardew knows their extensive efforts are unlikely to turn up an army of Cheick Tiotes this summer.

United dispatched a team of 12 scouts to scour the Championship, the SPL and several European leagues this weekend as Pardew’s £35m recruitment drive continues.

And their efforts have thrown up a number of interesting names that the Toon believe could make a big impact in the Premier League.

Ivory Coast striker Gervinho is on the list of forwards in the mix to fill the gap left by Andy Carroll, while the Sunday Sun can reveal Toulouse hard man Cheikh M’Bengue is also being watched in case Jose Enrique departs this summer. PSV winger Jeremain Lens was another winger linked this week.

But while Newcastle believe there ARE bargains out there, Pardew knows the Continental route is unlikely to yield as much success as the club enjoyed with Tiote this summer.

“I would say we will have 10 to 12 scouts at games. It is a decent number,” he said. “We’re making a lot of effort but we’re naive if we think we’re going to unearth four or five Cheick Tiotes in the summer.

“That deal was brilliant for this football club and his first year in the Premier League, if you’d have paid £15million for him you’d have been fairly pleased with him.

“To pay what we did, you would be ecstatic. To find four of those is impossible. Could we find one more of those? Possibly. Could we find two? Maybe.

“But we’re not going to be able to fill all of the bases with players like Cheick. They don’t come along often.”

Interestingly, Pardew also paid credit to Graham Carr for pushing through a deal for Tiote.

The Ivorian hard man, such a revelation for Newcastle this term, was made available at the start of last summer and touted around to every Premier League club.

Most took a close look at him and decided against a move. It was only United and fellow promoted side West Brom who tabled bids – with Newcastle’s higher profile persuading Tiote to join.

Pardew said: “I’m very, very pleased with him, and Graham Carr must take a lot of the credit because he pushed very hard for him.

“Cheick Tiote is part of our team now – we’ve got some other names that we hope can be like Cheick. But it’s only hope really.”

Pardew admits Europe is probably the limit of United’s ambition in terms of transfers this season.

While other clubs have had success spreading the net out to South and Central America, Newcastle’s view is that visa and passport issues make it difficult to justify sending scouts further than the big European leagues.

“There is a problem with passports,” he said.

“It is all well and good looking at the Brazilian market and Argentinian market where there is talent – perhaps more than any other countries – but they just can’t get passports that make them eligible.”

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/9416124.stm

Hamburg have been alerted by Joey Barton's contract talks breaking down at Newcastle United and could be ready to make a bid for the midfielder.

Full story: The People

Newcastle are ready to make a £12m bid for FC Lorient's 23-year-old striker Kevin Gameiro.

Full story: News of the World

“We’re making a lot of effort but we’re naive if we think we’re going to unearth four or five Cheick Tiotes in the summer.

“That deal was brilliant for this football club and his first year in the Premier League, if you’d have paid £15million for him you’d have been fairly pleased with him.

“To pay what we did, you would be ecstatic. To find four of those is impossible. Could we find one more of those? Possibly. Could we find two? Maybe.

“But we’re not going to be able to fill all of the bases with players like Cheick. They don’t come along often.”

Absolutely spot on from Pardew, and that's why if we genuinely want to improve it's going to cost. There's only so many gambles you can take in the hope they'll be far better than any other club recognised, otherwise you end up paying the same money but ending up with a load of mediocre players and no further forward.