NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

The Pardew quotes don't inspire confidence like but I'm not going to panic.........yet.

There's still 2 months of the transfer window left so things could still change. We'll see.

I didn't mean it as a slight on Ba, I just remember lots saying that they were delighted with getting him as long as he wasn't our main signing up front. Looks like he will be.

Why does it look that way? Have I missed some form of "We're not signing any more strikers" announcement?

If Pardew believes our main striker is an as yet unsigned addition to the 'out-and-out goalscorer' he's expecting 15-25 goals from then I can only assume he also expects us to be going for the top four.

So you've managed to turn Pardew's efforts to instill confidence in Ba, into a negative by claiming it means we're not interested in signing another striker as our "main" striker.

I don't think it matters who is defined as our main striker anyway, if we sign someone of similar level to Ba, that'd be fine with me, one does not have to be clearly defined as the number 1 strike-option as far as I'm concerned.

And I'd still say I expect 15-25 goals from both of them, likelihood is one will turn out to be shite anyway.

I didn't mean it as a slight on Ba, I just remember lots saying that they were delighted with getting him as long as he wasn't our main signing up front. Looks like he will be.

Why does it look that way? Have I missed some form of "We're not signing any more strikers" announcement?

If Pardew believes our main striker is an as yet unsigned addition to the 'out-and-out goalscorer' he's expecting 15-25 goals from then I can only assume he also expects us to be going for the top four.

So you've managed to turn Pardew's efforts to instill confidence in Ba, into a negative by claiming it means we're not interested in signing another striker as our "main" striker.

Eh, where was this? I think it looks like Ba will be our main striker. So fucking what?

It's a fucking joke that anyone on here expressing an opinion let alone a concern is automatically accused of panicking, doom-mongering or being overly negative for the sake of it. Not only that but it's seemingly impossible to be optimistic about some things and less so about others. Midds and I just renewed our season ticket, why the hell would I do that if all I wanted to do was criticise the club and be down about everything? I can think of lots of other things I could spend £250 a year on.

Long is the kind of player our fans will warm to if he's given a chance. Quick, runs hard for the team and can finish.

Not saying I would be ecstatic if he's the only striker we sign, but I'd be cautiously optimistic that he could do well.

I've not seen enough of him tbh, could be Bellamy, could be Nugent. But you can say that about anyone signed from anywhere really.

He's already better than Nugent, obviously the caveat is "in the Championship". Like I say, not guaranteed to become as good as Bellamy but there's a strong possibility he would. His progress in the last couple of years has been dramatic.

Like when a player comes in with the "Massive club, great fans" statement whenever someone joins, I don't see anything wrong with Pardew bigging up Ba. Hardly the confidence boost to him if he comes out saying, "Well as long as he gets us 8-12 goals I'm happy because I want somebody better anyway".

I never said he was wrong to do it. But unless he's fibbing outright then I expect him to believe it. He doesn't have to say anything about the number of goals he's expecting from him. If you're going down that route you could claim this is creating unnecessary pressure on Ba to bang them in.

Ba will have signed for us believing he'll score goals, so don't think that's a problem.

At the moment I still see a pretty thin squad. As long as there are no more major outgoings and we add 2/3 more good players then we should hopefully be in a decent position.

Players I'm happy to see play for us in the Premier League.

Harper, Krul, Forster

Simpson, Enrique, Coloccini, S.Taylor, Williamson

Jonas, Ferguson, Marveaux, Cabaye, Barton, Gosling, Ben Arfa, Tiote

Ba, Best

That's 18 out of 25 places, Neil Taylor will probably be added to the defensive list, there's bound to be one more striker and by the players linked with possibly a winger too taking us to 21 players. I don't think anyone outside the top 6 is going to have all 25 players who could all be at home in the first-team, so you still have squad fillers like R.Taylor, Guthrie, Ameobi & Lovenkrands in there too. I don't think it's that bad tbh...provided those 3 players come in, and any outgoings from the above list are replaced.

Just to play a little devil's advocate to that post...the back line is way too thin, we're an injury to Colo away from a virtual crisis. The forward line is the same, nowhere near deep enough. The midfield is our strongest area but...Jonas is inconsistent, Ferguson is too green to rely on, Marveaux and Cabaye are completely unknown quantities, Barton is not likely to be around due to contractual wrangling, Gosling is always injured and can't be relied upon clearly and Ben Arfa is coming off an injury that threatened his career. That leaves Tiote from that group. Not trying to be a doom merchant but that's the flip-side, our squad has huge holes in depth and quality once a couple of injuries or ANC appearances come along.

It'll be Tavernier, reading between the lines. The club are huge on this promote youth thing, I think you can probably consider him our back-up right back now (assuming they've all agreed Perch is a waste of time)

Long is the kind of player our fans will warm to if he's given a chance. Quick, runs hard for the team and can finish.

Not saying I would be ecstatic if he's the only striker we sign, but I'd be cautiously optimistic that he could do well.

I've not seen enough of him tbh, could be Bellamy, could be Nugent. But you can say that about anyone signed from anywhere really.

He's already better than Nugent, obviously the caveat is "in the Championship". Like I say, not guaranteed to become as good as Bellamy but there's a strong possibility he would. His progress in the last couple of years has been dramatic.

I haven't seen him play a full game but he has good qualities tbf. If you think he's a good finisher that's encouraging, because the rest of his game is pretty good.

At the moment I still see a pretty thin squad. As long as there are no more major outgoings and we add 2/3 more good players then we should hopefully be in a decent position.

Harper, Krul, Forster

Ba, Best

That's 18 out of 25 places, Neil Taylor will probably be added to the defensive list, there's bound to be one more striker and by the players linked with possibly a winger too taking us to 21 players. I don't think anyone outside the top 6 is going to have all 25 players who could all be at home in the first-team, so you still have squad fillers like R.Taylor, Guthrie, Ameobi & Lovenkrands in there too. I don't think it's that bad tbh...provided those 3 players come in, and any outgoings from the above list are replaced.

Just to play a little devil's advocate to that post...the back line is way too thin, we're an injury to Colo away from a virtual crisis. The forward line is the same, nowhere near deep enough. The midfield is our strongest area but...Jonas is inconsistent, Ferguson is too green to rely on, Marveaux and Cabaye are completely unknown quantities, Barton is not likely to be around due to contractual wrangling, Gosling is always injured and can't be relied upon clearly and Ben Arfa is coming off an injury that threatened his career. That leaves Tiote from that group. Not trying to be a doom merchant but that's the flip-side, our squad has huge holes in depth and quality once a couple of injuries or ANC appearances come along.

I completely agree with you. Just saying that group is who I wouldn't be opposed to seeing in our starting XI at any one time.

I expect a striker and a winger in on top of what we've got which should take our squad up near the maximum number, then looking to improve on whoever we can ship out of anyone in a 1 on 1 out process.

Harper, Krul, Forster

Ba, Best

I completely agree with you. Just saying that group is who I wouldn't be opposed to seeing in our starting XI at any one time.

Agreed, midfield is easily our best area, just can only hope we either have a ton of luck with injuries and/or we add some more depth. Otherwise second season syndrome will be the least of our worries.

In terms of a centre-back, I can see us being happy with Taylor/Williamson for one more season, then looking to upgrade there and right-back next summer, unless Simpson and one of those two really push on, and by push on I mean get into England squads, etc.

I think Taylor/Willi/Colo/Kadar is just about acceptable for us at the moment.

I think we need one more. Anything happens to Coloccini, and then we're sweating on the other three.

Am I wrong in assuming we have no bruiser centrebacks coming through th reserves? Can't say I've noticed any.

Guest Roger Kint

I think we need one more. Anything happens to Coloccini, and then we're sweating on the other three.

Am I wrong in assuming we have no bruiser centrebacks coming through th reserves? Can't say I've noticed any.

16 year old Remi Streete?

Is Kádár old enough to need to be registered now? I'm not so sure he does need to be registered as he was only 20 on February 1st.

Shane Ferguson doesn't need to be registered either.

I agree. Even if it was an old head (albeit one who isn't going to cry off every 5 mins) who is happy being cover.

Is Kádár old enough to need to be registered now? I'm not so sure he does need to be registered as he was only 20 on February 1st.

Shane Ferguson doesn't need to be registered either.

Think it's his last year.