NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Ba is a good signing but we need at least one more quality striker in. The paper talk is that it is one of Pardew's priorities so I expect we'll get one in. The concern would be the "quality" part of the equation. Shane Long isn't really what I had in mind when there was all the talk of us bringing in another top striker.

Would Erdinc be good enough in your opinion?

Pardew sees Ba as our top striker, his comments couldn't be clearer to me.

Aye, he clearly sees him as the out-and-out goal scorer which would explain why we appear to be chasing, quicker strikers, decent at linking up play.

Ba is a good signing but we need at least one more quality striker in. The paper talk is that it is one of Pardew's priorities so I expect we'll get one in. The concern would be the "quality" part of the equation. Shane Long isn't really what I had in mind when there was all the talk of us bringing in another top striker.

Would Erdinc be good enough in your opinion?

Pardew sees Ba as our top striker, his comments couldn't be clearer to me.

I know he's unproven in this league but I'd be happy to see Erdinc here from what I've seen on YT. He's quick and quite powerful and his goals record is pretty decent. Whether we are serious in our interest in him I'm not so sure.

:thup:

I'm heartened by comments that he's a hard worker. We could really use that type up front, even if he doesn't score as many.

Interesting that he doesn't know whether the striker coming will be worthy of the number 9 yet. Guessing that the probably not would be Long, and also guessing he's far from first choice.

Hope whoever the mystery striker worthy of the number 9 comes off.

I don't have any problem with Ba being our top striker as I rate him, but I don't want to be relying on him to be fit for every game this season. We need another quality forward.

Interesting that he doesn't know whether the striker coming will be worthy of the number 9 yet. Guessing that the probably not would be Long, and also guessing he's far from first choice.

I don't think we'll sign one. I'm sure some will see this as ultra-cynical but I really don't think Ashley/Llambias like the idea of favourites, club legends, tradition, sentimentality and so on.

I don't have any problem with Ba being our top striker as I rate him, but I don't want to be relying on him to be fit for every game this season. We need another quality forward.

Ba doesn't have a particularly bad injury record mind.

I don't think we'll sign one. I'm sure some will see this as ultra-cynical but I really don't think Ashley/Llambias like the idea of favourites, club legends, tradition and so on.

I don't think it's that complicated tbh. Quality strikers are the one commodity you have to pay through the nose for, and I just have real doubts as to whether we will do that. It's not just the fees, it's the wages those players command as well.

It's a long season though.

Not sure if this has been posted already but...

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Newcastle-boss-Alan-Pardew-Hatem-Ben-Arfa-and-Dan-Gosling-will-be-like-new-signings-article754153.html

We all knew it was coming!

Edit: Not being funny but wasn't Marveaux injured all last season making the following totally incorrect:

"Marveaux has impressed and, because of his contract situation, he didn't play a lot last season, but that means he comes to us fresh. We think there is a lot to come from him."

I don't think we'll sign one. I'm sure some will see this as ultra-cynical but I really don't think Ashley/Llambias like the idea of favourites, club legends, tradition and so on.

I don't think it's that complicated tbh. Quality strikers are the one commodity you have to pay through the nose for, and I just have real doubts as to whether we will do that. It's not just the fees, it's the wages those players command as well.

Well that's half my point. BottledDog mentioned a player being 'worthy' of the shirt. The club would be under pressure to provide top quality for that shirt (especially after the Carroll sale), and whether you think it's right or wrong we just don't want to spend the money.

It's a long season though.

:thup:

We definetly need another forward, no matter which way you look at it.

Guest teepee

As things stand right now Ba along with Best IS our top striker.

No s***. :lol:

i'd prefer shola to best i think - now go ahead and execute me...

As things stand right now Ba along with Best IS our top striker.

No shit. :lol:

Point being; I don't think there's much chance Pardew's going to come out saying we are looking for a much better striker than Ba. Especially not since most reports suggest (as do the fan expectations) that we will only play with one out-and-out striker. Would hardly do Ba's confidence the world of good either.

And as far as I can tell Ba comes with quite a good record behind him from different clubs and leagues. He's hardly a nobody.

I didn't mean it as a slight on Ba, I just remember lots saying that they were delighted with getting him as long as he wasn't our main signing up front. Looks like he will be.

I don't think we'll sign one. I'm sure some will see this as ultra-cynical but I really don't think Ashley/Llambias like the idea of favourites, club legends, tradition, sentimentality and so on.

:lol: Yeah, that does seem is pretty cynical to be fair.

I think the only reason Pardew (and Hughton while here) keeps coming out with these quotes is that they are, if anything, putting too much store in the tradition.

I'd be pretty disappointed if Ba ended up with the number due to us not bringing in another biggish name striker able to carry the role. But it would be even more rediculous to flat out not give it to someone for yet another season because nobody's deemed worthy enough.

Well that's half my point. BottledDog mentioned a player being 'worthy' of the shirt. The club would be under pressure to provide top quality for that shirt (especially after the Carroll sale), and whether you think it's right or wrong we just don't want to spend the money.

I have a feeling we'll bring in one big(ish) signing. If we spend the money on a quality striker are we still going to spend £9m on Zog? I just can't it although I hope I'm wrong. As plenty have already said here, we are so close to having a really good side it's frustrating to think we might not go for it.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Newcastle-boss-Alan-Pardew-Hatem-Ben-Arfa-and-Dan-Gosling-will-be-like-new-signings-article754153.html

Edit: Not being funny but wasn't Marveaux injured all last season making the following totally incorrect:

"Marveaux has impressed and, because of his contract situation, he didn't play a lot last season, but that means he comes to us fresh. We think there is a lot to come from him."

Havn't got time to dig around for the quotes, but he was apparently fit to play at the back end of the season, but his club chose not to bring him back into the team due to the dispute over his contract and him inevitably buggering off.

We need another striker, as competition for Ba. Regardless of his "type", he needs to be good. After that we will have to depend on Shola and Best.

If Best is sold, we should replace him too, i doubt we will though.

As i have said before, the press know very little about our transfer activity and are being systematically fed info from the club. They knew nothing of Marveaux, there's nothing to suggest there aren't others going under the radar.

Isn't Ba likely to be buggering off for up to a month due to the ANC as well? So apart from worries about him staying fit, if he's going to the ANC in January, we'll be without him for a while anyway. He simply cannot be our only forward signing this window, would be idiotic.

Guest Roger Kint

Havn't got time to dig around for the quotes, but he was apparently fit to play at the back end of the season, but his club chose not to bring him back into the team due to the dispute over his contract and him inevitably buggering off.

Played 10-15 games i think last season before injury. Like you say was fit to play from April but the club decided not to let him as he was off.