NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

See thats the thing, we'll never progress with that fat cunt in charge. We're sitting in the best position since he's been at the club, the best opportunity for real progress and build upon this superb half a season we've had. Everyone can see we've got the basis for a genuinely quality side.

We need to invest and keep our best players in January and if our hand is forced, fucking replace them with something other than free transfers because lets face it, not every free transfer will turn out as magnificently as Demba Ba has. Sadly, i dont think we will and we'll eventually see this side not built upon, and dismantled without being properly replaced.

I'm willing to accept this as I would rather the club had its eyes firmly fixed on the long term.  I wouldn't want us to risk a January signing that would almost certainly be over-priced and rushed, now that our only realistic target is no longer an option.

That's the great thing about the long term, it's always in the future so you can never really evaluate it.

I'm sure people were making similar noises on deadline day last January.

Conspiracy theorist - Well were were going to sign Maiga but then with the defensive injury crisis Ashley said "no money for striker, get a defender and fake a failed medical."

Eternal optimist - Pardew's just saying this to lower expectation (from other clubs and our fans) so he can swoop unsuspected for a quality striker and defender in the January window.

Realist - So, Shola and Best starting up front with the mighty Lovenkrands as our impact sub :D

Absolutely no surprise in this.  The only talk of transfers since the Maiaiga transfer 'collapsed' has been the same defeatist 'we may get a defender in' that we were getting from the start of August with the added 'but the January window is so hard to do business', as well as the high probability of Tiote being sold.  With Tiote it doesn't sound like a hands off warning but more like an invitation to the big clubs to bring their chequebooks.

I wouldn't call the club trying to address a serious weakness in our squad depth a defeatist attitude.

We need both a striker and a defender. There shouldn't be talk about one or the other.

Obvious it was going to happen. Fair enough about the summer being an easier window to deal in but this will be the third window we have needed that new forward and failed to do so.

It's pitiful that an injury to a defender has halted the pursuit of a forward. If I had any faith a top class centre back was coming in it would cushion the blow a little (still shouldn't be either or) but we will end up with an average squad filler which should have no bearing at all on getting that forward.

You have to assume that the club has come out with this stance so early as they expect there to be almost no (or little) value in the market for the club. 

I'm willing to accept this as I would rather the club had its eyes firmly fixed on the long term and didn't want to risk a January signing that would almost certainly be over-priced and rushed, now that our only sure target is no longer an option.

I'd have hoped more than a year of alleged scouting from the best scout in Europe would leave us with more than one idea. Fact is that saving money comes before the needs of an ambitious football team.

Well we don't know how many options the club had/has behind the scenes.  We may very well have investigated several avenues to no avail.  We will never know the full extent of what happens behind the scenes, so it's difficult to get worked up about it. 

Secondly, being frugal is part of, and somewhat of a major requirement, of the long term ambitions of the club.

My only concern here is the club fulfilling the expectations of the fans and more importantly the players.  As fans tend to always set high expectations, I hope that the players (especially our important group; Colo, Ba, Cabaye, Tiote, Ben Arfa and co) appreciate the progress that has been made and wont be too disappointed if we fail to claim 7th spot.  So, the only problem I would have with the club not signing a striker would be if it meant that we would no longer be in the running for 7th.

You have to assume that the club has come out with this stance so early as they expect there to be almost no (or little) value in the market for the club. 

I'm willing to accept this as I would rather the club had its eyes firmly fixed on the long term.  I wouldn't want us to risk a January signing that would almost certainly be over-priced and rushed, now that our only realistic target is no longer an option. 

Jesus wept. I think you're suffering from "Battered wife syndrome".

No stiker coming in this window,,,,

take from NUFC.com

Latest quotes from Alan Pardew, Wednesday:

"I don't think we'll be bringing in a striker in this window after the collapse of (Modibo) Maiga which we put a lot of work into, so I think as far as we're concerned, we'll go with what we've got.

Asked if there was any chance of resurrecting any form of deal for the Sochaux forward:

"No, that wasn't a strategy to do that, it was just unfortunate. These things happen and we'll have to do a lot of work between now and the summer to locate another striker.

"You have to pay over the odds if you want to invest in this window but we won't be in for a striker.

"We need to bring in a defender."

Absolutely no surprise in this.  The only talk of transfers since the Maiaiga transfer 'collapsed' has been the same defeatist 'we may get a defender in' that we were getting from the start of August with the added 'but the January window is so hard to do business', as well as the high probability of Tiote being sold.  With Tiote it doesn't sound like a hands off warning but more like an invitation to the big clubs to bring their chequebooks.

I wouldn't call the club trying to address a serious weakness in our squad depth a defeatist attitude.

We need both a striker and a defender. There shouldn't be talk about one or the other.

There has been talk of both from the club; we have clearly attempted to bring in both.  It's just that we are now seemingly unable to bring in a striker, for whatever reasons.

The club do it because they love us!

:lol:

Prior to August we were being told that we were going to be bringing in several players, definitely a striker and a left back and A.N.Other.  As August drew on the definite striker and A.N. Other disappeared from the agenda and then we may get a left back over the line.  We are already getting the same defeatist dialogue of mid-August with regard to incoming transfers before the next window has even begun.  The injury to Steven Taylor shouldn't have suddenly kicked us into gear that we needed another centre-half - it was a weakness that needed addressing before Williamson got injured and we relistically should be looking to bring in two players in this position to get us through the rest of the season.

I don't think it was ever realistic bringing in two centre backs tbf. We would have 5 in the summer.

Personally, if I was in charge of the club, I would be thinking about one permanent and one loan if possible at the minute.  We needed one extra as cover at the start of the last transfer window, but Taylor's injury has increased the need for players in that position.

The fans are the annoying son - let's call him a nice simple everyday name, say Cassius - who was once spoiled with new wonderful big name toys bought at no expense year in year out.  The wife, had been running up unsustainable credit card bills, buying such over priced second hand junk from the big chain stores clearance sales in order to keep Cassius happy. 

The father, Mike, having seen the light of day a year or two back, has a difficult job.  He knows that the family has to be successful and that Cassius has to be kept happy and interested, but the wife must be stopped and the huge credit card bills brought under control.  The medicine is tough but the patient is sick.  So the farther has no choice but to beat the s*** out of his wife, oh and cut-up the credit cards whilst he is at it.  Sure the wife is bloody, bruised and has no means of buying even the most basic of food (for now) and Cassius has daily temper tantrums, but the farther knows that in a few years time his frugal beatings should turn the family around.