Why I can't be bothered with England in the world cup.

Guest thenorthumbrian

Guest Brummiemag

I just want to see good football from the best players in the world with the best team winning it.

Would hate for a Jose Mourinho or Greece 2004 type team to win it. Shit football served up with a "win at all costs, who gives a fuck about entertainment" mentality. If England play well, I hope we win, if not, then anyone else who is actually looking to entertain and attack with a bit of flair instead of boring everyone to death.

Couldn't agree more - hoping to see lots of attacking football and flair - I just hope there are not loads of cautious, defensive, dull games and I hope the refs clamp down on faked injuries (by refusing to stop play), timewasting and diving.     

Guest BooBoo

Last time out, the group stage was great and the knock out round pretty dull. There were lots of teams frightened to lose and attacking play became very muted as a result.

Last time out, the group stage was great and the knock out round pretty dull. There were lots of teams frightened to lose and attacking play became very muted as a result.

That's often the way in these tournaments. Everyone's scared to make a mistake. It's why fearless youngsters with a bit of flair (Gazza in 1990, Rooney in 2004 before he got injured) can make their mark.

Guest secteur2010

Probably Scottish.

Far from it. Born and bred an Englishman.

What I can't stand is posturing, moronic idiots that represent the national team. A team of, when it comes to the WC comp, complete losers, people who have achieved nothing in the previous world cups that they have played in, yet they think of themselves as untouchable, when in fact they are petulant, spoilt, bastards.

And as for a lot of the "Ingerlund" fans! A bunch of dribbling, moronic, half wits you'd be harder pressed to find. Except maybe in Scotland.

You are a big posh sod with plums in your mouth.

Nope! Just don't associate myself with complete losers.

As Lance Armstrong once said "Losers suck!" and I tend to agree.

I just want to see good football from the best players in the world with the best team winning it.

Would hate for a Jose Mourinho or Greece 2004 type team to win it. Shit football served up with a "win at all costs, who gives a fuck about entertainment" mentality. If England play well, I hope we win, if not, then anyone else who is actually looking to entertain and attack with a bit of flair instead of boring everyone to death.

Couldn't agree more - hoping to see lots of attacking football and flair - I just hope there are not loads of cautious, defensive, dull games and I hope the refs clamp down on faked injuries (by refusing to stop play), timewasting and diving.       

Well, the World Cup is the best stage for the referees as well as the players to perform on. I hope they send a message by seriously clamping down on those things.

Not that I actually think they will.

Probably Scottish.

What I can't stand is posturing, moronic idiots that represent the national team. A team of, when it comes to the WC comp, complete losers, people who have achieved nothing in the previous world cups that they have played in, yet they think of themselves as untouchable, when in fact they are petulant, spoilt, bastards.

And as for a lot of the "Ingerlund" fans! A bunch of dribbling, moronic, half wits you'd be harder pressed to find. Except maybe in Scotland.

so you were a man utd fan and are waiting till after sunday to decide for certain who you follow ?

Couldn't really give a fuck about England. I actually resent a good chunk of the players who represent our national team, so why would I want them to do well by default just because I was born here? Opportunities to enjoy the sight of arseholes like Terry and Gerrard in tears are just too good to neglect.

Just an excuse to go to the pub and watch some footy, really. Can't say that watching England is anything like watching Newcastle, feel better about our promotion than I would if England won the WC.

Guest secteur2010

Probably Scottish.

so you were a man utd fan and are waiting till after sunday to decide for certain who you follow ?

man utd? pfft! (Un)fortunately for me, I was taken to my first NUFC game at the tender age of ten back in 1984. Not an avid fan anymore but I enjoy looking at and reading the banter of supporters and my mates who ARE ardent supporters of NUFC.

And I also like to have my say...for good or ill as the late H.S.T. would say.

I think it is important to distinguish between absolutely disliking the World Cup and disliking the way that the World Cup is presented to us in England. I would never place myself in the former category, but there is some validity in the latter. I wish we could treat the World Cup as the international festival of football which it is – where (at level 0 of complexity) 32 different narratives intertwine with each other in a fascinating story of epic complexity - instead of the “Rooney-hurt-his-foot-now-'we'-will-loose exercise in simplification and re-working of what is, essentially, a much more interesting situation.

Many things are objectionable. For example: the coverage in the national media which tries to reduce the number of and modify the content of these narratives to the level of the lowest common denominator (white flags on a car; player name recognition based on frequency of tabloid headlines whilst whitewashing over the reasons for those headlines; some simplistic historical construct that resembles a map of a transportation line (one dimension) rather than a constellation ( I think the official England Line has 4 stops: Myth of '66, Gazza's tears, Something about penalties, and all terminating at Former captain's self mythologising)) .

The event 'The World Cup' is great, but the way it is worked over by the media can be soul-destroying at times. I have a certain ambiguity towards the broadcasting rules which – though keeping all games on Freeview – prevent coverage on more analytical networks like Eurosport.

Oh yeah, and there's that thing about not supporting the parasitic Norman State which has been oppressing the North since 1069 (Go Honduras!).

Guest neesy111

England have a team full of utter knobs, while i'll be happy if they win, i'm only interested in the football

I wish we could treat the World Cup as the international festival of football which it is – where (at level 0 of complexity) 32 different narratives intertwine with each other in a fascinating story of epic complexity

The finest description of the World Cup one has ever read  :lol:

I'm a Newcastle born and raised Scotland fan. Can't really enjoy the WC when we're not there. I loved France 98, I was there for a couple of games, including the opening ceremony. Enjoyed 2002 quite a bit, but 2006 passed me by.  I'll miss the group stages of this as I'll be in Greenland with no form of contact.

Amazing spectacle, as is every international tournament weather you participate or not. At Euro 2008 I just adopted a team and enjoyed the football.

Of course their will always be the cynics who disagree for disagreeing sake, unable to join in with the hype and fun like everyone else and instead mouthing off like little brats just so they can be a little different.

I think it is important to distinguish between absolutely disliking the World Cup and disliking the way that the World Cup is presented to us in England. I would never place myself in the former category, but there is some validity in the latter. I wish we could treat the World Cup as the international festival of football which it is – where (at level 0 of complexity) 32 different narratives intertwine with each other in a fascinating story of epic complexity - instead of the “Rooney-hurt-his-foot-now-'we'-will-loose exercise in simplification and re-working of what is, essentially, a much more interesting situation.

Many things are objectionable. For example: the coverage in the national media which tries to reduce the number of and modify the content of these narratives to the level of the lowest common denominator (white flags on a car; player name recognition based on frequency of tabloid headlines whilst whitewashing over the reasons for those headlines; some simplistic historical construct that resembles a map of a transportation line (one dimension) rather than a constellation ( I think the official England Line has 4 stops: Myth of '66, Gazza's tears, Something about penalties, and all terminating at Former captain's self mythologising)) .

The event 'The World Cup' is great, but the way it is worked over by the media can be soul-destroying at times. I have a certain ambiguity towards the broadcasting rules which – though keeping all games on Freeview – prevent coverage on more analytical networks like Eurosport.

Oh yeah, and there's that thing about not supporting the parasitic Norman State which has been oppressing the North since 1069 (Go Honduras!).

Agreed, and the media almost succeed in ruining it. Almost, but not quite. It's the fucking World Cup, it's brilliant, watch as many games as you possibly can, fall in love with some random team/player you've never seen before, try to watch games with people from as many different countries as possible. I remember jumping up and down and hugging an Arsenal-supporting mate when Campbell scored that header against Argentina, sitting in a pub between a Romanian family and an Italian family when they went head-to-head, Australia-Croatia in Walkabout etc etc. I had to watch the last one in Glasgow - supporting England actually felt dangerous.

I love it. Sure, many of the England team are cunts but, well, every team can say that. I'd rather Spurs won the League than England the World Cup, but it's a pretty close-run thing.

Guest scottnufc1892

In all honesty, I still follow them and hope they win obviously ..... but ive not really cared that much since Shearer retired

I'm on record saying that I don't rate international football, but nonetheless the World Cup is fucking fantastic. I watch every game I can, even with the minnows, and it's the only time I cheer for something together with Real Madrid fans (but they are still cunts)  :thup:

Guest firetotheworks

The World Cup is an excuse to watch football. The truth is, if Bolton vs Blackburn was on normal TV, then I'd watch it. The same goes with countries. There's some shit matches, but I'll watch all of them, because you know there'll be some absolute corkers. It never fails.

I love it in America for the same reason that a lot of people outside of America hate it: too many fairweather fans.  It's the only time that I can actually talk soccer/football with the majority of people that I know who don't really want soccer all that often.