Arsenal vs Newcastle - Post Match Thoughts.

BlufPurdi

I dont see how you can get negativity out of that.  Great performance in every area of the pitch.  Some of our attacking players were quiet, but that#s to be expected and they did their job.  The defence werent by-passing the midfield.  Midfield were coming to defence, attack to midfield and giving it back instead of running aimlessly if there's nothing on.  Only thing is, it shows we can battle, but doesnt prove we can break down lesser teams.

Very good result. What it does show is that Dyer is (possibly) the missing link and that without him we leave gaps, ease pressure, extend attacking oposition options. 1 player not turning up means you are off 10% and everyone has to make that up.

With Duff AWOL thats 20%, keep adding it up - its why we are where we are. Fortget roeder, he has once again shown, with players available, he is capable. Hasn't been with the players long enough to work miracles.

Delighted for Martins, not tall but powerfull. By  the way AS wasnt too tall either.

tongue.gif

If Steven Taylor had more than corned beef between his ears we would've got 3 points today.

The local lad happens to be as big a liability as his mate Bramble.

Oh aye, cos' they barely had a sniff apart from that, like. :roll:

If Steven Taylor had more than corned beef between his ears we would've got 3 points today.

They scored because Taylor is thick.

That is 100% true.

But i wouldn't class him as Bramble-esque.

Can't wait to see Martins in a game agianst a team where we are not pinned in our own half so he can get more support. I think have Martins and Dyer back will also help Emre's game, give him a mobile target for a change.

Maybe so, but I'd have him in the team over Carr any day.

Guest Ridzuan

Back to the topic,I think it was a brilliant performance from everyone,especially Shay Given.I didnt expect us to get anything from the game,what else a point.I was delighted to see Dyer scoring,but after that he looked a little tired but he still managed to stay on for the full 90 mins.Arsenal had like 16 shots and we had one shot,and it is ironic that the match ended in a draw.But I think there should be nothing ironic when Shay Given is between the post.The Arsenal free kick was a cheap one to give away,Taylor once again being clumsy.I knew Henry will score from that free kick and he did.If it wasnt for that,I believe we could have taken all the 3 points.Nevertheless,one point is good enough.

Carr would have done the same. Maybe thats where he learnt it from.

For all Brambles faults he always manages to stop Henry, maybe thats why Henry went out wide to get the ball. It was frustrating as the form Given was in I would have been confident to let Henry go past me if I was defending. The only way that feekick would have been stopped was if we had Crouch on the post.

Guest redmayne

i know this doesnt sound right but i'd have preferred we'd lost just to get rid of roeder

its just another stay of execution for the worst manager i have ever seen at newcastle - gullit was close though....actually so was souness... oh wait... daglish

Guest mikefin

Back to the topic,I think it was a brilliant performance from everyone

I think it was poor performance and we were extremely lucky to got that one point. We had 9 men defence and they still created +10 good changes. Luckily their finishing was shitty, but in the end of the day, we were as bad as usually.

Exceptions:

Given 10

- Absolutely brilliant

Dyer 9

-Impressive goal. Was our one man army when we had a ball.

Martins 7

-His best performance so far. Couple of good runs, and win that ball which led to our goal

Parker 4

-Rubbish. Tried here, there and everywhere like always, but that is not enough if you didnt done anything right

I thought that the team was set up well. They ALL performed very well.

Bramble was infuriating because he has games like this in him but it's anybody's guess as to how he'll play next week.

Henry is a world class striker (the best in the world?) and to slate Taylor for bringing him down is a nonsense. Taylor had a good game.

We need to remember that we haven't got a great squad; the players worked hard, pulled off an important result and the travelling fans responded.

I think it was poor performance and we were extremely lucky to got that one point. We had 9 men defence and they still created +10 good changes. Luckily their finishing was shitty, but in the end of the day, we were as bad as usually.

Exceptions:

Given 10

- Absolutely brilliant

Dyer 9

Martins 7

-His best performance so far. Couple of good runs, and win that ball which led to our goal

Parker 4

-Rubbish. Tried here, there and everywhere like always, but that is not enough if you didnt done anything right

Answer me honestly: were you at the game?

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

Exceptions:

Given 10

- Absolutely brilliant

Dyer 9

Martins 7

Parker 4

Didnt play his best game but to give him 4 is just insane. Still better than Butt in my eyes and miles better than Ramage....

I can't believe the pathetic criticism on here of Taylor, Parker and Roeder, and some dick saying that our performance was rubbish!

There are still too many bandwagon merchants on here who are too thick to appreciate a fantastic battling performance that got us a desperately needed point.

I can't believe the pathetic criticism on here of Taylor, Parker and Roeder, and some dick saying that our performance was rubbish!

There are still too many bandwagon merchants on here who are too thick to appreciate a fantastic battling performance that got us a desperately needed point.

A point away, no less, to one of the best attacking teams in the world. 

And even 1-0 up at halftime even the most optimistic of us expected them to score at least one.  I can think of maybe 3 teams in the league that one could expect to hold on to 1-0 away to Arsenal and we sadly haven't been one of them for many years. 

Parker was good in defence, getting a lot of important blocks in, but poor in possession. It's becoming a bit of a pattern.

I think you have to give Henry a lot of credit. Given knew where the ball was going and made a good attempt, but the accuracy and pace of the kick was pretty much perfect.

It's great to have Dyer and Martins back, because they do set some problems for the opposition. But I'd agree with those who say we shouldn't get too excited by this result. Arsenal don't look likely to score from crosses, so if you can get bodies behind the ball and jam them up down the middle, then you can keep them at bay, which a number of teams have been able to do this season. Man U and Chelsea have a variety of ways of breaching a defence, so playing defensively is unlikely to work, and that's the difference between them and Arsenal at the moment.