Arsenal vs Newcastle - Post Match Thoughts.

BlufPurdi

we haven't got a difficult fixture list coming up. Portsmouth, Reading, Blackburn and Watford all coming up in the next five games, we really should be looking to pick 9 or 10 points up, at the very least.

I would have said that about Sheffield United, Boro, Man City, Charlton etc. Didn't get much out of them now did we?

Quote the whole post.

This gives us a good foundation aswell, a good result on Thursday and we can really kick-start our season i reckon. I've said that once or twice, but we haven't got a difficult fixture list coming up. Portsmouth, Reading, Blackburn and Watford all coming up in the next five games, we really should be looking to pick 9 or 10 points up, at the very least.

Wasn't it a similar situation where we went into them sort of games after decent European performances?

Not saying I disagree with the sentiment but I don't much trust what you say will happen.

I'm just showing some optimism. Not saying it will or it won't. It should really, but past experiences have told us not to be so sure; i'm still confident. As ever!

Oh I quite agree. With most clubs, it pretty much would be the case - with this one, I hope you'll excuse me - but I have to have my doubts.

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/72597945.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A61C4F2E3531E89667591E7EC1A351FC8Bhttp://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/72597931.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A6D1AB0ACBF80C1D1EEC7C5022FB410D56

Having seen the game on the TV here are my thoughts.

First-half diagnosis?

Arsenal dominated but we defended well. A great goal by Kieron Dyer and it was great to see us try and pass the pall out from the back, rather than lumping it long as usual, despite the goal coming from a a high ball up to Martins. They pissed on us for a lot of the first half, 11 attempts to 1 I believe it was. Their problem was that they kept trying to walk the ball into the net and we were defending pretty well. We did very well to slow the pace of the game down and it worked to keep them at bay, they very rarely got in behind your full backs, whats the betting they would have if it had been Carr and Babayaro playing?

Second-half diagnosis?

They came out and upped the temp straight away, we defended well and I thought Titus Bramble was a rock at the back, I was just waiting for him to make a stupid mistake and he did, but the ball went across the box and there was no danger. Stupid foul by Steven Taylor on Henry which led to their goal, apart from that he had a steady enough game. We did well to hold on for a point in the end, Martins showed some nice touches and some good skill a couple of times to skin a few Arsenal defenders but often there were very few options for him. I thought Martins had a good game, held the ball up well at times and made some good runs with the ball in the channels, he did have a golden chance to score a second goal for us, he was though..10 yards out but his first touch let him down and it ran through to Jens Lehmann. Other than that, a good game for Oba on his return from injury. Dyer was a lot less involved in the second half, but still did some nice work but he tired and struggled to make an impact as the game went on. 

Shay Given was fantastic, made a number of fantastic saves and his distribution is also better than that of Steve Harper, along with some quality saves Given also commanded his box well, coming and catching a number of crosses.

Full-time diagnosis?

I didn't expect anything from this game so very happy with a point, after they had scored it looked like they would go on and win it but we defended for our life and managed to hold on. Bramble and Moore were solid, Ramage was ok, better than what Babayaro would have offered in my opinion. Taylor, despite giving away a stupid foul which result in Henry bending it in the top corner had a solid enough game, he should play there in front of Stephen Carr every week until we can get a new right back.

Overall delighted with a point and good to see us trying to play some football.

Star man for United?

The goal from Dyer was fantastic and he started brightly but Shay Given was our star man, kept us in the game with a number of great saves. Must also mention Bramble, who I thought had possibly his best game for us this season.

Worst United player?

Damien Duff, booked early on for a silly foul and just did very little. Are we ever going to see the Damien Duff who performed at Chelsea and Blackburn?

Opposition comment?

Arsenal tried to pass the ball into the net, they need to shoot more. I still believe they will finish in the top 4.

Toon-pros?

A good team performance, a good defensive display with good performances from Bramble and Moore, Parker got in some great blocks and Given was excellent on his return to the side. Nice to see us trying to play football again instead of lumping it long.

Toon-cons?

Damien Duff.

Post-match feelings?

Delighted with a point, if we play like this every week we will get out of this relegation scrap, but I'm not sure if we can play like this. This was Arsenal away and I'm sure it isn't that hard to get the players up for it as it would be for games against Portsmouth or Reading, we need 6 points from our next two league games or all the hard work from this display is undone and we are still fighting for our lives at the wrong end of the table. Nice to be out of the relegation zone but we need to build on this. Don't let this result distract you from the fact that we still need change at Newcastle United, from the boardroom down.

Guest nufcandy

good performance, good result to match. Hopefully Babayaro will get fit soon so we have some balance at left back

Aye, and drop Bramble for Ramage. :wink:

Did you watch the game today?

As much as i hate to say it Bramble was outstanding.

Dyer and Martins were also outstanding.

did you watch it?

martins did nowt! lazy sod

to be honest,i am really unhappy about the result

i think it will only delay roeders sacking,wich is to come sooner or later

have u all forgot that we are NEWCASTLE UNITED,and here we are jumping with joy for stealing a draw vs arsenal with 9 players defending for our lives

don't want to ruin the fun,but we did the same thing with the palermo game,and look where are we now,don't think the will be a kick-start for our season,just a very luckey escape

hope i am wrong btw..

good performance, good result to match. Hopefully Babayaro will get fit soon so we have some balance at left back

did you watch it?

You can only laugh.

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

Given: 9 - nice to have him back. Harper has done a good job as backup, but Given is world class!

Taylor: 6 - played well until the foul on Henry. Played out of position, but still better than Carr.

Moore: 6 - a bit better than his peformance against Man City but still he is too slow and his passing is sometimes too risky.

Bramble: 8 - was the main reason why we didnt concede a few more goals today. Wish he always played like this....but he doesnt.

Ramage: 5 - like Taylor he played out of position. Terrible in the first half and a bit better than terrible in the second. Need baba back!

Solano: 7 - did ok and played his part in the goal. Ran out of stamnia in the end.

Butt: N/A - watched the game via streaming and couldnt see the differiend between him and Parker.

Parker: N/A - same as Butt.

Duff: 6 - was locked in his defensive role, but I wanted to see him more in our counter attacks.

Dyer: 8 - great goal (wish I could say a typical Dyer finish ;) ) and he was all over the pitch. Soon to be found in the England squad.

Martins: 9 - considering the type of game where Martins was often let alone with the whole Arsenal defense he was fantastic. Very physical and good ball control, and showed great technique too. Linked well with Dyer. (MOM)

Guest nufcandy

did you watch it?

You can only laugh.

at?

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/72597950.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=8AF8AF6A335E5B0800560640B7D5EA10

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/72597925.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=8AF8AF6A335E5B083C24CAAA17117CB1

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/72597910.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=8AF8AF6A335E5B082C7EEDF1264A0CAC

Arsenal have no cutting edge whatsoever, if they did then we would have been spanked. Martins, Given and Dyer were impressive. I can't critisise the back four either, the put in a dogged performance and deserve their place next week. The only way we were going to get anthing our of this game was if we played like we did.

Given- 10 Unbelieveable performance, Harper who?

Taylor- 6.5 Constantly let down by Nobby on the right flank but did his job. At fault for the foul whgich led to the goal.

Moore- 6.5 Led the back four well.

Bramble- 7 We got titan rather than titarse today but how long before his next mistake.

Ramage- 7 Playing out of position..... again. Future captain of the club.... mark my words.

Nobby- 5 Passing was fine as usual but let us down defensively.

Parker- 6 Gave the ball away far too often for our captain, below par against a good team.

Butt- 6 Gave it his all. Offered something different to Emre.

Duff- 6 Again, gave his all but to little avail in the attacking sense.

Dyer- 9 Saviour of our season tbh. Kept the ball well and gave us a good goal on the counter.

Martins- 8 A good outlet. Formed a decent partnership with Dyer.

Guest nufcandy

You.

because?

You're talking poo.

aye whatever like, he did nowt but walk about, he didnt chase enough, same as duff, PANTS!

dont get me wrong am realy plzd that we got a point and defensively we did well but, Martins man of the match?! 9?! seriously man ha'way

Dyer- 9 Saviour of our season tbh.

Oh dear.

Classic. Why is it when people on this board disagree with something they fail to come up with reasons?

Fair enough if you think i'm talking shite. Elaborate?

Oh dear.

Classic. Why is it when people on this board disagree with something they fail to come up with reasons?

Care to go first on why you think a player with a sadly extremely unreliable fitness record is the saviour of our season after a single game and goal?

First-half diagnosis?

Arsenal didnt create anything really dangerous, our midfield and defence worked very well together, and i think bramble was outstanding. Given also very good. Dyer and Martins did well on goal. good 1st 45.

Second-half diagnosis?

Henry made a big change for arsenal, that hammered us, but again, they only scored from a freekick. I think we defended very well, and with Given takin the slip-ups. Very pleased with this performance.

Full-time diagnosis?

Arsenal was the better team, but we defended very good, and can be proud of one point at one of the toughest away fixtures of the season.

Star man for United?

Bramble and Given. Given best.

Worst United player?

Martins didnt have alot to do. He worked hard, but its very hard to do alot of any impact in this kind of game. still dont think he was poor.

Opposition comment?

Fabregas and hleb very good. Ineffective.

Toon-pros?

Defensive very good. hopefully we can start do dominate at home, and gather points away. Given and dyer made in impact. And Bramble had his first good game this season.

Toon-cons?

we couldve gotten the win. At the end, it seemed abit chaotic, but thats what happens at emirates.

Post-match feelings?

happy. Hopefully this can be a turnpoint for the toon. Teamspirit seemed high and the fighting spirit was second to none.

Oh dear.

Dyer could very well to be the saviour of our season just as Laurent was a few years ago when we had no other attacking threat in midfield. Lolo was the only supplier of goals, and Shearer the only scorer. As things stand, no one else is electric going forward. Dyer is the only midfielder who will scare opposition defenders. Duff was supposed to but hasn't, and Zog doesn't play. Solano will get better with Dyer in the team too.