Hughton confirms interest in Jlloyd Samuel

gdm

Ashley is pretty much still sticking to his transfer policy that got us relegated.

Well... look on the bright side, when we get relegated next may, he won't be alive for much longer.

When we get relegated next May at least we've already got a pre-assembled CCC team like WBA so bouncing back should be pretty easy. Also Colo, Jonas, Smith & Barton's contracts will be a year less and closer to leaving on a free.

Its all good.

If we go down again, there's not a cat in hell's chance of the likes of Colo, Jonas & Enrique hanging around again. In fact, even if we scraped survival I'd question their ambition by staying here. Can see the three of them going regardless of whether we stay up or not next summer.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2010/06/24/chris-hughton-confirms-jlloyd-samuel-enquiry-72703-26716502/

Chris Hughton confirms Jlloyd Samuel enquiry

Jun 24 2010 by Mark Douglas, Evening Chronicle

CHRIS HUGHTON has confirmed that Newcastle United have made an enquiry about Bolton's versatile defender Jlloyd Samuel - but says he is just one of a number of players he's targeting.

The United boss is moving closer to a breakthrough in the transfer market and admits that he made a phone call to Owen Coyle to ask about the Trinidad & Tobago international and other Bolton players this week.

But he played down talk of United tabling a formal offer for 29-year-old Samuel, who would provide useful back-up at both full-back positions.

“I can’t say there hasn’t been a phone call to see what the situation is (with Samuel). But it has not gone as far as a bid, definitely not,” he told the Chronicle.

He would have been probably one of a few players we’ve enquired about from that club even. At the moment we are in the process of finding out the availability of certain players and he was one of them.

“But I can say that it is nothing more than that at this stage.”

f*** me thats a worrying comment.

Lee, Muamba and Cahill are really the only players I could see improving our squad. I doubt Bolton would accept anything lower than 7M for each one which is way out of our budget. Your looking at the likes of Nicky Hunt, Zat Knight, O'Brien, Sean Davis etc. Nothing players.

Words cant explain how much im shitting it for this up and coming season like.

Hmmm, we do need back-up for LB but spending £1mil and wages on a 29 year old to never play..... There isn't much logic in that.

Would love van Aarnholt back on loan, he looked brilliant. Looked as though he could do a job covering Jonas too. Doubt we'll get him, but we could do with someone like that. Someone young and versatile, can play in a couple of positions so then they are likely to get more games than they would if they were only cover for the first name on the team sheet. A bit hungry for a chance, gives 100% whatever position to try and prove a point.

Definitely a young loanee with a view to a permanent I reckon.

He did but Chelsea will want him to get first team experience plus if we are using our 1 permitted loan of a fellow PL club I'd want it to be a first teamer.

Hmmm, we do need back-up for LB but spending £1mil and wages on a 29 year old to never play..... There isn't much logic in that.

Would love van Aarnholt back on loan, he looked brilliant. Looked as though he could do a job covering Jonas too. Doubt we'll get him, but we could do with someone like that. Someone young and versatile, can play in a couple of positions so then they are likely to get more games than they would if they were only cover for the first name on the team sheet. A bit hungry for a chance, gives 100% whatever position to try and prove a point.

He did but Chelsea will want him to get first team experience plus if we are using our 1 permitted loan of a fellow PL club I'd want it to be a first teamer.

Is that actually the rule? I thought Bolton had Wilshere & Weiss last year?

Is that actually the rule? I thought Bolton had Wilshere & Weiss last year?

I thought it was one, might be two but still I'd want players who are going to challenge for first team spots not just in on cover and as I said having Van Aanholt sit on the bench here is pointless for Chelsea, he'd be better of staying there and learning off arguably the best LB in the world currently.

Leon Best aside, Chris Hughton has been pretty good in the transfer market. If he has targeted a back up for Enrique, which is what i presume this is, then i trust his judgement on the matter.

Ok i've never considered Samuel a great left back but i've never seen him as a particularly poor one either. In all seriousness i doubt we will sign him anyway, Hughton will have plenty of targets.

Leon Best aside, Chris Hughton has been pretty good in the transfer market. If he has targeted a back up for Enrique, which is what i presume this is, then i trust his judgement on the matter.

Ok i've never considered Samuel a great left back but i've never seen him as a particularly poor one either. In all seriousness i doubt we will sign him anyway, Hughton will have plenty of targets.

He's hasn't been good at all in the transfer market, we were in a shit league and pretty much anyone would've done something, i think most of the times the players he brought actually ruined the harmony of our squad (yes we have that..) i'd rather we keep the same team then buy a shit players that aren't going to improve us much, however is Samuel is only brought in as a back-up i can't see much harm in that, but can't we at least buy a young player ala Danny Simpson  who can devolep a bit from being Enriques understudy?

By the sounds of it all Hughton has done is rang up Owen Coyle and asked what players are available and how much we would need to pay. I don't see anything wrong with that.

By the sounds of it all Hughton has done is rang up Owen Coyle and asked what players are available and how much we would need to pay. I don't see anything wrong with that.

The fact he's ringing Bolton, shows how low we've stooped

yeah he's probably been on the phone to a number of clubs

The fact he's ringing Bolton, shows how low we've stooped

Get over yourself. We are not the club we were 5 years ago. If we finish 17th this year it will have been a good season. Bolton finished 14th last season.

At the end of the day we do not want to be playing kids like Kadar out of position against Arsenal, Chelsea or Man U. In my eyes it is only a good thing that we are looking at cheap cover for a position where we already have a definite first choice.

Guest Brummiemag

Depressing that finishing ahead of Blackpool, WBA and one other team is going to be regarded as a good season.

Sadly it will the same the year after and the year after that

Depressing that finishing ahead of Blackpool, WBA and one other team is going to be regarded as a good season.

We've just basically gone back to where we were pre 92/93, a yo yo club with no ambition.

We've just basically gone back to where we were pre 92/93, a yo yo club with no ambition.

How do either of you manage to drag yourselves out of bed in the morning? :lol:  Pre-season hasn't even started yet let along the season itself and already you've got us down as a struggling yoyo club for ever more..

For all you know in a couple of years time we might have stayed in the Premiership and paid off the staggering sums of money we still seem to be paying every year for past transfers (something that seems to be crippling what should otherwise be a pretty luxurious budget in comparison to most Premiership clubs).  In which case we'll be able to invest without going back into debt.