The Liverpool Thread

Parky

Regardless of what happens in these last two games it's been a remarkable season.

CL or EL football will be a great experience for all concerned, fans, club, players etc and certainly feels like progress in the right direction.

However, for me, I just want to win something, . . . . . .  anything.

Quickest route to that is a Cup.

This current squad is capable of Silverware, imho, and that's what I desire more than anything else.

Swanning around Europe will be a absolute blast, no doubt about it, but we're not going to win anything there.

Leicester have won the League Cup three times ffs.

Luton Town, Oxford United & Swindon have all raised that trophy above their respective heads once since it's inception.

Football is all about winning things. That's what marks you out from the herd, Silverware. Simple as.

we coulda won this.... silver lining, Carroll's performance. If he continues in this vein, will be a revelation come next season

Revelation? :lol:

35 million pound revelation? what a bunch of tossers they are (for the most part). Rather enjoying reading through their post match thread. "Kenny" only partly to blame :lol:

Regardless of what happens in these last two games it's been a remarkable season.

CL or EL football will be a great experience for all concerned, fans, club, players etc and certainly feels like progress in the right direction.

This current squad is capable of Silverware, imho, and that's what I desire more than anything else.

Swanning around Europe will be a absolute blast, no doubt about it, but we're not going to win anything there.

Luton Town, Oxford United & Swindon have all raised that trophy above their respective heads once since it's inception.

Football is all about winning things. That's what marks you out from the herd, Silverware. Simple as.

do you get it now ? cups are nice, but they aren;t proof you are any good, good teams don't go down the pan like those you've listed.

to me football is about seeing who's the best at it, cups don't come anywhere near proving this. what does winning a knock out cup prove ?

do you get it now ? cups are nice, but they aren;t proof you are any good, good teams don't go down the pan like those you've listed.

to me football is about seeing who's the best at it, cups don't come anywhere near proving this. what does winning a knock out cup prove ?

Cups are much more strongly connected to the sense of personal achievement, satisfying a desire to win. A league much more decisively shows who is the better team over the course of a season, but a cup is more accessible. It is tangible, it is representation of a team's success. Through the history of the cups, it delivers that feeling of accomplishment that you were the best in the competition; something you can't get from someone finishing 4th vs someone finishing 8th.

Kenny will be binned in a few weeks' time, I think.

I think he'll walk.

so do i, but not until they have a replacement. a search which i guess is already underway.

Cups are much more strongly connected to the sense of personal achievement, satisfying a desire to win. A league much more decisively shows who is the better team over the course of a season, but a cup is more accessible. It is tangible, it is representation of a team's success.

deep down thoguh you know you've won nothing of worth unless you can say you were the best.

Cups are much more strongly connected to the sense of personal achievement, satisfying a desire to win. A league much more decisively shows who is the better team over the course of a season, but a cup is more accessible. It is tangible, it is representation of a team's success.

deep down thoguh you know you've won nothing of worth unless you can say you were the best.

But you were the best. You were the best in the competition, outlasting everyone you've come up against.

The league more decisively shows superiority, but 'being the best' is exactly why people celebrate cup successes. Your team succeeded where every single other team failed.

But you were the best. You were the best in the competition, outlasting everyone you've come up against.

The league more decisively shows superiority, but 'being the best' is exactly why people celebrate cup successes. Your team succeeded where every single other team failed.

it's a very narrow competition then. may aswell have a trophy for who scores the most in the first 4 weeks of the season. it's a nice diversion but means and proves nothing.

They're proof positive you're the best team in that competition surely??? Good teams/squads come and go, but my point was that there are some pretty lowly clubs out there that have mustered a Cup win, done the Wembley thing, Open top bus tour around the town etc and for me, it's disappointing that we haven't managed it in my lifetime (I'm 37)

Seriously, are you telling me you weren't watching the FA Cup final today thinking "I wish we were there"

I know I was.

They're proof positive you're the best team in that competition surely??? Good teams/squads come and go, but my point was that there are some pretty lowly clubs out there that have mustered a Cup win, done the Wembley thing, Open top bus tour around the town etc and for me, it's disappointing that we haven't managed it in my lifetime (I'm 37)

Seriously, are you telling me you weren't watching the FA Cup final today thinking "I wish we were there"

I know I was.

no, i've been to two cup finals and thought at kick off "is this it ? if we win are we a great team (no!), will i celebrate and get hammered ?(yes!), will winning the cup aid us as a team more so than getting into the champs league....NO!"

Well there you go, we'll just have to agree to disagree then  :p

We'll play in Europe next season and we'll go out of Europe next season at some point and that'll be that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted for all concerned, it'll be a blast but we ain't going to win it so really it's just a jolly, nothing more.

Indeed you could argue it'll make progression domestically, that bit harder (injuries, tiredness etc with a small squad).

Anyhoo, I just fancy seeing us win a Cup with my own eyes, can't and won't deny it.

I would consider that success.

We'll play in Europe next season and we'll go out of Europe next season at some point and that'll be that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted for all concerned, it'll be a blast but we ain't going to win it so really it's just a jolly, nothing more.

Indeed you could argue it'll make progression domestically, that bit harder (injuries, tiredness etc with a small squad).

Anyhoo, I just fancy seeing us win a Cup with my own eyes, can't and won't deny it.

when we've achieved europe through league success it's not really been a problem in our league games (i think). the times it's told was when we got in through fa cup runners up spots and we werent that good a team.

what about the europa league suggests we won't win it? we're very, very capable and could potentially get better next season.