The Liverpool Thread

Parky

All of that.

Good post, mate. It was dreadful in the olden days, but that was the way it was. I just GTFO when there was pressure but those poor fuckers stood no chance. :( Watching that shit happen man, that was awful

Guest Howaythetoon

Even if fans were ticketless, drunk or even misbehaving, that does not excuse the total f*** up of a job the people employed to make sure people remain safe, did before, during and after the match to the point their actions helped kill people. Then there was the actual on going war on the victims, families and the people of Liverpool by the press, police and politicians. The whole thing is a national disgrace and those involved in the deaths and cover up all need to be prosecuted accordingly. I was once of the opinion that LFC fans needed to move on (not the families) but after the last few years, it's clear I was totally wrong and I'm so happy for everyone connected to LFC and the city of Liverpool because they were wronged on an epic scale.

Most of the information—apart from the long-overdue admission of culpability by Duckenfield—has been available for many years. It was there for anyone to find, and I mean things like interviews with policemen who were on duty that day and expert opinions of coroners—not just the opinions of Liverpool fans who were or were not there. It's all on the web, a googling away.

But the smear campaign and cover-up were so successful that hardly anybody that isn't from Merseyside or a Liverpool fan ever bothered to go looking.

I've had the Hillsborough conversation very many times over the years, and there has always been one of two reactions. Most people who went to games in the '80s said "there but for the grace of God go we" and everyone else took a "treat the conspiracy theorist with kid gloves" attitude.

Yeah I was quite ignorant myself. I'm just so pleased for everyone involved. I'm a firm believer that truth and justice will always prevail eventually so long as there are people out there to fight for truth and justice. I take my hat off to all those who fought and fought. I read the story of Anne Williams and it made me cry.

I just wanted to say this, it maybe a bit long winded but try and bare with it.

I was born in 1989, after the Hillsborough disaster. I never attended football matches until I was 11 or so and when I did SJP had been fully developed with a capacity of 52k so I never experienced grounds like they were back then.

Myself and my generation have been brought up on tales of violence from the 70's and 80's and the tales have increased from something your dad, uncle, grandad, or other older generations of fans said to now being made into books, and movies. True Faith I feel was a magazine that glorified the violence of the past, every edition would have at least one guest writer telling a story of how he and his mates got out off a bus and smashed some Coventry fans walking down the street or parked up and were ambushed and resulted in the best fight since their last visit. On top of this we have also been able to see what happened in Heysel and how some Liverpool fans got into the ground in Anthens without tickets in the 2007 Champions League final, and you could also throw in how the Man City fans walking out on the last day a few years ago were climbing up the side of the stadium to get back in.

You might be asking why all this is relevant, well this is why. With the history we have been presented with, far too many fans for my liking still glorify the days of hooliganism, you can see that with the addition of tales and the cover up of Hillsborough that the cover up story can actually be believable either totally or somewhat from people who were never there and experienced it.

If it wasn't the last few years of the inquest, new information coming to light, and even tales from fans of other clubs (including you all) of how it was nearly them that it happened too then people my age could easily be duped into believing the cover up story is the actual account. Myself I have to hold my hands up, in the past I have believed that story and it could easily have been that it would be the story I knew for the rest of my life and others my age would know and pretty soon the story would always be one of 'Liverpool fans wanting to free themselves of the guilt'.

Over the last few years, and certainly the last month or so I've been able to know more about what happened (and I don't think I'll be the only one) and I'm thankful for that. At the end of the day no fan should die at a football match, and I certainly believe that the fans that day shouldn't be blamed for the deaths of others and themselves.

So I thought I'd just say that this weeks news and the inquest is not only gaining justice, but it's teaching people who never knew and those who have been fed tit bits of information that could make them come the wrong conclusions so people in my generation and those in the future truly know and understand the truth about what happened. Yesterday at SJP was the moment where I fully understood that it wasn't just a tribute for Liverpool fans that this was about, it was a tribute for the whole of football.

I hope that makes sense.

ffs I'm old.

Guest Howaythetoon

apologies if giggs or i'm not aloud to post this  :'(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdGmaWsHjU8

Wow, that was a tough watch. Thanks for sharing.

I'm surprised there wasn't more fatalities looking at the footage of the pens and crowds.

Those poor souls who did die, what an awful way to go.

Shame on the police, media and the political system for allowing this to go on so long when clearly the truth existed and all along.

When the crowd spontaneously started an impromptu rendition of You'll Never Walk Alone, I welled up a bit, TBH.  Really wasn't expecting it and I thought it was a nice touch. 

It is a great song and really gets the atmosphere going.  I've always been a bit jealous of Liverpool fans being able to sing it before matches. 

Back in the day, all clubs used to sing it.  Not sure when that stopped.

Yes,  I remember trying to join in with it, standing in the Leazes end at one of my first games back in the early '70s.

Didn't know the words. :lol:

They get slagged for their "famous european nights" but hardly any other team in the country would have this support waiting for the team to arrive for the QF and SF of the Champions League, let alone Europa.  Their fans are class.

https://www.facebook.com/awaydayfootball/videos/vb.625056280873875/1087045834674915/?type=2&theater

They can pull together a few of the local scallies to set off smoke-bombs for the sole purpose of uploading on social media. Turn up about twice a season, awful away support.

Thats a pub outside the ground, the pub have apparently been taking advantage of scaffolding outside the ground to up flags before games. The majority of those fans are fans just on their way to the stadium, it's not a pre-organised gathering.

Thats a pub outside the ground, the pub have apparently been taking advantage of scaffolding outside the ground to up flags before games. The majority of those fans are fans just on their way to the stadium, it's not a pre-organised gathering.

This IS pre-organised on Reds websites, and there are thousands of fans who arrive early and line the streets with their banners and scarves, singing our songs and just showing the team that we are behind them, and it's not just outside The Albert.  It's happened about 5 or 6 times over the last 6 or 7 years, just important times like when we need to win a match getting to a final. 

In 2010 when Rafa was getting a lot of stick, and all the press and media were saying the fans were fed up with him and wanted a change,we turned out for him in the same way.  It was the only way to let him know that the media were being briefed with lies, and that we still trusted him.  Rafa was very appreciative of it.

Tonight's was to give the team a lift in the hope that we'd get the goals to go to another final.

Sometimes you have to ask yourself what you, as a fan, can do to try and help your team, this is one way.  The foreign players are usually taken aback at first but then say how much they loved it.  It must mean something to them because they keep coming back if they've got a break,  Luis Suarez was over only a few weeks ago visiting Melwood. 

As someone who has frequented Liverpool for the last few years I can tell you their fans are top notch.

Even when they played us knowing they'd fucked the league their was fans all over the place, trying to crawl through pub windows to watch the match, still living hin hope and packed Anfield Rd out.

From someone who's had perspective of both, I think Geordies and Scousers are much alike.  A city full of people who are passionate for football but also the friendliest bunch of lads you could meet.

As I said, when there's teams who cannae even fill a staduim for a champions league match like Chelsea and City, us and Liverpool are a different breed.  it's more than just a few smokes, it's passion and devotion to their club and their city.  We are the only other team who would match them.

(Us in the Europa)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L02kBUdc09U

This IS pre-organised on Reds websites, and there are thousands of fans who arrive early and line the streets with their banners and scarves, singing our songs and just showing the team that we are behind them, and it's not just outside The Albert.  It's happened about 5 or 6 times over the last 6 or 7 years, just important times like when we need to win a match getting to a final. 

In 2010 when Rafa was getting a lot of stick, and all the press and media were saying the fans were fed up with him and wanted a change,we turned out for him in the same way.  It was the only way to let him know that the media were being briefed with lies, and that we still trusted him.  Rafa was very appreciative of it.

Tonight's was to give the team a lift in the hope that we'd get the goals to go to another final.

Sometimes you have to ask yourself what you, as a fan, can do to try and help your team, this is one way.  The foreign players are usually taken aback at first but then say how much they loved it.  It must mean something to them because they keep coming back if they've got a break,  Luis Suarez was over only a few weeks ago visiting Melwood.

Fair enough, just going by what I heard.

As someone who has frequented Liverpool for the last few years I can tell you their fans are top notch.

Even when they played us knowing they'd f***ed the league their was fans all over the place, trying to crawl through pub windows to watch the match, still living hin hope and packed Anfield Rd out.

From someone who's had perspective of both, I think Geordies and Scousers are much alike.  A city full of people who are passionate for football but also the friendliest bunch of lads you could meet.

As I said, when there's teams who cannae even fill a staduim for a champions league match like Chelsea and City, us and Liverpool are a different breed.  it's more than just a few smokes, it's passion and devotion to their club and their city.  We are the only other team who would match them.

(Us in the Europa)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L02kBUdc09U

Totally agree, when frequenting a lot of general football forums when I was younger I found the vast majority of Liverpool fans came across as twats. Always thought purely because of their history they're the greatest football club to ever grace the world and even when they were shite and taking a bit of stick (because they loved to dish it, but could never take it) was always to either kick off or just come back with "5 times lad" or some other shite. For that reason I never liked Liverpool and always enjoyed seeing them humbled.

Since moving here a few years ago I've never came across anyone who is actually like that, their supporters are spot on - have nothing but kind words for geordies and for NUFC and generally they have all been spot on people. Like us they're all immensely passionate about their football and enjoying a pint or six too. I like to see them do well now and was actually quite gutted for them when they didn't get the title under Rodgers.

Liverpool were absolutely superb y'day like. Classic blitz the potentially mentally weak foreign team with a traditional English fast paced style. Fair play to them. Final should be a corker.

I just wanted to say this, it maybe a bit long winded but try and bare with it.

I was born in 1989, after the Hillsborough disaster. I never attended football matches until I was 11 or so and when I did SJP had been fully developed with a capacity of 52k so I never experienced grounds like they were back then.

Myself and my generation have been brought up on tales of violence from the 70's and 80's and the tales have increased from something your dad, uncle, grandad, or other older generations of fans said to now being made into books, and movies. True Faith I feel was a magazine that glorified the violence of the past, every edition would have at least one guest writer telling a story of how he and his mates got out off a bus and smashed some Coventry fans walking down the street or parked up and were ambushed and resulted in the best fight since their last visit. On top of this we have also been able to see what happened in Heysel and how some Liverpool fans got into the ground in Anthens without tickets in the 2007 Champions League final, and you could also throw in how the Man City fans walking out on the last day a few years ago were climbing up the side of the stadium to get back in.

You might be asking why all this is relevant, well this is why. With the history we have been presented with, far too many fans for my liking still glorify the days of hooliganism, you can see that with the addition of tales and the cover up of Hillsborough that the cover up story can actually be believable either totally or somewhat from people who were never there and experienced it.

If it wasn't the last few years of the inquest, new information coming to light, and even tales from fans of other clubs (including you all) of how it was nearly them that it happened too then people my age could easily be duped into believing the cover up story is the actual account. Myself I have to hold my hands up, in the past I have believed that story and it could easily have been that it would be the story I knew for the rest of my life and others my age would know and pretty soon the story would always be one of 'Liverpool fans wanting to free themselves of the guilt'.

Over the last few years, and certainly the last month or so I've been able to know more about what happened (and I don't think I'll be the only one) and I'm thankful for that. At the end of the day no fan should die at a football match, and I certainly believe that the fans that day shouldn't be blamed for the deaths of others and themselves.

So I thought I'd just say that this weeks news and the inquest is not only gaining justice, but it's teaching people who never knew and those who have been fed tit bits of information that could make them come the wrong conclusions so people in my generation and those in the future truly know and understand the truth about what happened. Yesterday at SJP was the moment where I fully understood that it wasn't just a tribute for Liverpool fans that this was about, it was a tribute for the whole of football.

I hope that makes sense.

That's a very good post. However with not one typo nor a spelling mistake, I'm sorry to assume it's a c and p job.

Edit: Oh hang on I've spotted one.

There's a fair few in there like :lol:

Very good post though Stifler, as someone of the same generation, that is exactly how I've felt about this as well. :thup:

Yeah, i can see a couple now.

Still maintain that it isn't his work though.  It's excellently written, which kind of highlights it for me.

I find this a bit unfair tbh. We all poke fun at Stifler almost constantly, he's still, I presume, a decent lad and he takes it on the chin. I feel there's no need to bother him about something that actually feels like a heartfelt post, and even if he didn't write it and did steal credit, it's still a silly subject to incite a brawl over just because Stifler is Stifler.

You do you, Stifler. You do you.

10,000 tickets for the final. UEFA are Pathetic.

About 20% of which will go to club sponsors, players, big wigs etc.

The average fan will be fighting for about 8,000 tickets. I'd imagine Liverpool have what, 30,000 ST holders? :lol:

Unbelievable decision to stage the final in such a small stadium, along side the daft agreements that these finals come with in which some twat from MasterCard gets a ticket and a real supporter doesn't.