The Liverpool Thread

Parky

Not sure whether we have any similar law to the US law that a company board must do everything possible to maximise shareholder profit else H&G would have a good case against the other board members if they have indeed ignored other, higher, bids in favour of this one.

Did they not say that the better offer came after they had agreed to sell though?

Don't think it would matter if they weren't willing to consider the other offer(s). 

That's what I'm saying they had agreed to sell hence listened to offers agreed on someone and then this new bid came in afterwards.

I believe that a US court wouldn't care (Qwest lost a case in the US brought against the board by shareholders for lost revenue after Qwest refused to break US wiretapping laws & lost some government contracts).

I'm a bit lost on the whole stakes of this case. If H&G had won the case, wouldn't RBS just called in the debt and lost the club for naught? Or am I wrong and they could have held onto it?

I've not been following it too closely but I think H and G were trying to buy some time to find a buyer that would not leave them with a loss. They probably thought that RBS would bottle it due to concern about the negative publicity that calling in the debt and triggering of administration would bring to the bank. It was effectively brinkmanship by H and G, despicable creeps that they are.

It looks like a more comprehensive victory than I would have expected. It all hinged on whether the price the board got was a 'reasonable' one, and I suppose either the judge has decided that it was indeed reasonable, or that it was competely up to the board to decide what was reasonable.

Jammy bastards. Looks like it's only clubs like ours that have to pay the price of being run badly.

WHoever buys them stll has shit loads of work to do, they aint suddenly going to be able to challenge again.

They have a lot of shit in that squad, Carra is aging as well as Gerrard and a huffy injured Spaniard.

And they need a new stadium.

I'm a bit lost on the whole stakes of this case. If H&G had won the case, wouldn't RBS just called in the debt and lost the club for naught? Or am I wrong and they could have held onto it?

I've not been following it too closely but I think H and G were trying to buy some time to find a buyer that would not leave them with a loss. They probably thought that RBS would bottle it due to concern about the negative publicity that calling in the debt and triggering of administration would bring to the bank. It was effectively brinkmanship by H and G, despicable creeps that they are.

That's the way I understood it, too. The NESV offer will leave them heavily out of pocket.

Don't see how anyone can think they were lucky, NUFC fans of all people should understand what it's like having shite owners. If anything, their ownership situation was worse than ours, as it plunged the club into massive debt.

They're only lucky in that Liverpool is a big name club that appealed to a buyer... and that the sale went through (probably) in time to save them from relegation.

They are still miles away from where they were, and the last couple of years have been a nightmare for them.

Don't see how anyone can think they were lucky, NUFC fans of all people should understand what it's like having s**** owners. If anything, their ownership situation was worse than ours, as it plunged the club into massive debt.

They're only lucky in that Liverpool is a big name club that appealed to a buyer... and that the sale went through (probably) in time to save them from relegation.

They are still miles away from where they were, and the last couple of years have been a nightmare for them.

:weep:

Jammy bastards. Looks like it's only clubs like ours that have to pay the price of being run badly.

WHoever buys them stll has shit loads of work to do, they aint suddenly going to be able to challenge again.

They have a lot of shit in that squad, Carra is aging as well as Gerrard and a huffy injured Spaniard.

Anyone who bought them must realise that, and you can only assume that they have the money to be able to get them up there again or why bother?

Guest neesy111

Anyone who bought them must realise that, and you can only assume that they have the money to be able to get them up there again or why bother?

They are in desperate need of a new stadium as well, another £300M needed for that.

Don't see how anyone can think they were lucky, NUFC fans of all people should understand what it's like having shite owners. If anything, their ownership situation was worse than ours, as it plunged the club into massive debt.

Oh noes, since H&G took over they have only finished 3rd, 4th, 2nd & now the ignominy of 7th. Hellish by any standards! They had £45m of debt when H&G took over, have spent around £30m net on transfers and will have £0 debt when they are bought by NESV, and still have a squad most clubs can only dream of.

Fortunately we were much luckier with Ashley who has only more than doubled the debt, got us relegated, thinned the squad to the bare bones making a £20m transfer profit, and will probably spend at least the next 5 years using any operating profit we make to pay back his debt (assuming we manage to scrape by staying in the PL for the next 5 years).

Liverpool truly are the unluckiest club in the world, I'm welling up just thinking about it.  :weep:

I'm not saying H&G ran the club well, but they are the ones taking the biggest hit not the club itself. Liverpool were always going to be the weakest runt in the "big 4" litter to drop out once some other team got their act into gear. If it hadn't of been last year, it would have been this with the money Man City have spent, just like we were always going to struggle to stay in the top 4 once Chelsea started to get bankrolled.

Guest VegasToon

Honestly, NESV might seem like a good thing for Liverpool, but in the long run they will be just as hated as Gillett and Hicks.  Its hard to explain in writing, but the sport culture / attitude is different here in the US compared to England.  NESV will be content will Liverpool being good, not great and Liverpool fans will not accept being good.  The best Liverpool can expect is to become another Villa. 

Just my opinion and I am glad they got sold to NESV than the Chinese billionaire.

Guest VegasToon

I don't see NESV paying for a new stadium.  US owners are use to the local governments paying for new stadiums to keep their teams in the city. 

Franchises, as called here, switch cities all the time over who will pay for a new stadium.  The local government that does, gets the team.

Los Angeles Rams - St Louis Rams

Los Angelse Raiders - Oakland Raiders

Montreal Expos - Washington Nationals

Baltimore Colts - Indianapolis Colts

Cleveland Browns - Baltimore Ravens

Seattle Super Sonics - Oklahoma City Thunder

Just a few examples.

Like I said, I don't think NESV will work for Liverpool.  I also don't think any American owner would be a good idea for a Premier League club if the ambitions are high.

Honestly, NESV might seem like a good thing for Liverpool, but in the long run they will be just as hated as Gillett and Hicks.   Its hard to explain in writing, but the sport culture / attitude is different here in the US compared to England.   NESV will be content will Liverpool being good, not great and Liverpool fans will not accept being good.  The best Liverpool can expect is to become another Villa. 

Just my opinion and I am glad they got sold to NESV than the Chinese billionaire.

This is music to my ears.

Hope the cringeworthy "Spirit of Shankly" twats are crying once again in a couple of years.

Oh noes, since H&G took over they have only finished 3rd, 4th, 2nd & now the ignominy of 7th. Hellish by any standards! They had £45m of debt when H&G took over, have spent around £30m net on transfers and will have £0 debt when they are bought by NESV, and still have a squad most clubs can only dream of.

Fortunately we were much luckier with Ashley who has only more than doubled the debt, got us relegated, thinned the squad to the bare bones making a £20m transfer profit, and will probably spend at least the next 5 years using any operating profit we make to pay back his debt (assuming we manage to scrape by staying in the PL for the next 5 years).

Liverpool truly are the unluckiest club in the world, I'm welling up just thinking about it.  :weep:

I'm not saying H&G ran the club well, but they are the ones taking the biggest hit not the club itself. Liverpool were always going to be the weakest runt in the "big 4" litter to drop out once some other team got their act into gear. If it hadn't of been last year, it would have been this with the money Man City have spent, just like we were always going to struggle to stay in the top 4 once Chelsea started to get bankrolled.

Got to love the old Ashley made a 20m transfer profit.  The  club was running at a massive loss ffs.  We were fucked

They were never ever gong to rule any other way, no way were Liverpool ever going to go into administration.

This, only Liverpool and other "big" clubs would have this ruling. Any other club or comapny in the world would never be told to sell up a company they own. Calling in debt, winding up, or placing it in administration maybe but never get told to sell up.