The Liverpool Thread

Parky

Voted I would rather be in our position, based not only on league placing but also the relative states of the two clubs in terms of players, manager, finances, stadium, fans and accent.

For someone like Liverpool who harped on for so long about wanting to win the league again, a cup double and coming 8th is simply papering over the cracks.

It's the amount of cash they've wasted doing it and the fact they've got an idiot in the dugout as well though. Apparently they only need 3 more players to challenge for top 4, but that doesn't take into account that they buy shit.

From someone on RAWK

put RvP in this season's team (instead of Carroll) and we'd have won the title weeks ago.

I think given their relative success trophy-wise a lot of Liverpool fans would rather have the higher league position than a cup or even both, while I'm sure many of our fans would happily swap the higher placing this one time for a trophy, any trophy.

So I guess both sides of the argument are right in some way.

That depends which cup and which league position you're talking about. I think a lot of us would happily swap for fourth place.

:lol:

And we're the delusional ones.

I don't think that's such an outrageous statement to make tbf. Maybe winning the title with weeks to spare is pushing it (a lot), but a prolific striker who nets 30 goals a season like Van Persie would make a world of difference to them, as it would do to Arsenal losing him. In fact, I'd say there's not all that much difference between the Liverpool and Arsenal squad if you take out Van Persie, so it's all hypothetical of course, but I think they'd quite comfortably be pushing for Champions League.

That's not as much a praise on Liverpool as pointing out the fact that Arsenal have been a lengthy RvP injury away from an EL place, though.

Still think Arsenal's squad has a bit more to it than Liverpool's though. Have in mind Wilshere has missed all the season, and Arteta has quietly - imho - been better than any Liverpool midfielder.

Guest bimpy474

Wooo i missed some fun.

I suppose what it boils down to for some, definitely me anyhoo, is, they are a horrid club with a horrid manager and are without doubt the most arrogant thinking club in the history of the known universe.

This season, with the racism, managers utter contempt and rudeness toward anyone and everyone, the amount of money wasted by the tramp, and the constant we are Liverpool, we should be lalalalalalalala. How about a bit of humility or maybe realism, no ?, didn't think so, they are unable, incapable of even the slightiest bit of keeping their feet on the ground.

I hate them, detest every part of them, to see them on my google box makes me want to Mrs Bimpy head through it. Watching them thrash around lashing out in all directions is so much fun, i just hope it lasts and lasts and lasts and lasts for as long as possible.

No offence like.

I'll go for the cups, tbh, we do so shit in them atm would be nice. Having said that disagree with the narrative that's developed that Liverpool sacrificed league form for cup runs, anyone who watches them knows they're a decent cup team perhaps but just haven't played well enough to look like they belong any higher in the table. So many timid home defeats, that can't just be tiredness. They look a mid-table club who can raise themselves a bit for the cup, not a top of the table club off form.

Plenty of room for improvement and think perhaps it was ludicrous expectation of Kenny being the greatest manager of all time ever that makes it look worse.

Anyway I would suggest the reason Liverpool have been 'disappointing' this season is more to do with not looking like a team.

How Newcastle fans would rather finish 5th and nearly make a CL instead of actually winning something which we haven't done in 43 yearsis beyond me like. Anybody under the age of 50 won't remember/know what it feels like.

I'd take a trophy any day.

Guest palnese

How Newcastle fans would rather finish 5th and nearly make a CL instead of actually winning something which we haven't done in 43 yearsis beyond me like. Anybody under the age of 50 won't remember/know what it feels like.

Agree with every word of that.  Can't believe more than 50% voted for option number one.

:thup:

I think if I was a Liverpool fan however I would want to focus on the league.

What do you think would be better for NUFC in order to instill belief in the future of the club though? 5th place or midtable and a cup? I think your season shows more promise that you are going forward.

Indeed, even if we don't qualify for CL I think the fact that we fought for it until the last day will have some effect on whether players want to stay or go.

Guest neesy111

What do you think would be better for NUFC in order to instill belief in the future of the club though? 5th place or midtable and a cup? I think your season shows more promise that you are going forward.

We need a cup to get the hoodoo off our backs.  57 years since last domestic trophy ffs.

being objective and generous to liverpool you'd honestly have to say that:

we need another season of a similar level (maybe not CL challenge but certainly europe) before we can claim this

also liverpool need another season of going backwards in the league before it could be argued they're 100% on the slide like

just my thoughts, either could be seen as an anomaly atm

It's been two seasons on the trot for Liverpool finishing outside the Top 6. I think they deserve another year but there's more to it than just a temporary blip. As I said before they are better than last year but not immensely so when you take into account their spending.

As for NUFC, from the outside you do look good. Your starting XI is easily the best in the league - imho - for any club not in London or Manchester. If you don't sell any key player I see absolutely no reason for finishing outside the top 6 next season, or at least credibly challenge for it.

:thup:

I think if I was a Liverpool fan however I would want to focus on the league.

Yeah i would too.

But they've won everything under the sun. Even if they were going to finish 4th and not have won a trophy it would only have been 6 years since their last one.

Must be so hard being a Liverpool fan

agreed on both - i've not seen a lot of liverpool this season but when i have (and reports i've read back it up) i feel they're a good striker away from being a much better team....as Unbelievable said stick a 20 goal a season striker in there and you've got a different animal

we've basically had 2 15 goal strikers for us this season otherwise we'd probably have had much similar seasons in the league

short story: they're currently about fixable imho, whether they've got the right people in charge to make the right choices is another question

agreed on both - i've not seen a lot of liverpool this season but when i have (and reports i've read back it up) i feel they're a good striker away from being a much better team....as Unbelievable said stick a 20 goal a season striker in there and you've got a different animal

we've basically had 2 15 goal strikers for us this season otherwise we'd probably have had much similar seasons in the league

short story: they're currently about fixable imho, whether they've got the right people in charge to make the right choices is another question

With only two games to go, you have scored one less goal than last season. I'm certainly not going to discard the two Dembas influence in your season - far from it - but there's more to your progress than just having more goals. Your defensive record - barring calamity these last two games - is much better for example.