Luis Suárez

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Of course it's cheating you fucking idiots! :lol:

A foul is cheating, which is why you get penalised for it, no matter where on the field or when. He cheated, and will pay the price by being suspended.

Had he done it at 2-0 to Ghana, no one would care this much. It's the same "crime", only that he sacrificed himself for the team in a more crucial moment. I would certainly do the same if it was me.

I can't believe this discussion is even taking place. It's like the president's bodyguard takes a bullet and next you hear the assassin yelling "Waaait WTF, he can't do that, that's cheating!". Suarez looks like a diving prick. But. What he did there was what every other sane professional would do, and it's to give his country a straw to cling on to. There was no alternative. I'd do the same thing 1000 out of 1000 times. Branding him a cheat for this act and appealing to alleged "sportsmanship" or "the spirit of the game" is just...rainbow farting.

Btw. Football is a game... not matter life & dead... using that analogy is total bollock.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm in tears.

Same.  :lol: :lol:

He cheated and thus he got sent off and more importantly misses arguably the biggest game of his career. Ghana missed their penalties, tough luck.

I would however say it was an instinctive reaction.

He took one for the team and it paid off. If he had time to decide to do that then it's a little naughty but the fact is any professional footballer would do the same. By stopping the ball with his hands he changed the situation from 100% guaranteed elimination to a slightly better chance, but by no means certain. Ghana were given a penalty as required by the laws of the game. They missed it, tough shit. And then they took two atrocious penners in the shoot out. Nobody to blame but themselves. He got sent off and will miss a World Cup Semi-Final for his troubles.

FWIW, I have cheated at football plenty of times. Every time I appeal for a corner or throw when I know it came off me. I've given players kicks and digs, held them at corners, blocked them off and blatantly taken them out when they are through. It's how the game is played. You push the rules and it's up to the ref to spot it and punish you accordingly. Some people might not like it but the majority of people who play the game will do something sneaky, underhand or snidey at some point.

Yes most of us would do the same however imagine how you would feel toward Suarez if he'd done this in a final against Newcastle? This is the way a significant portion of Africa feels. I'd be sh!t scared personally.

Yes most of us would do the same however imagine how you would feel toward Suarez if he'd done this in a final against Newcastle? This is the way a significant portion of Africa feels. I'd be sh!t scared personally.

Probably find myself more pissed off with whoever missed the penalty.

Exactly. 

Maradona is a villain because he gained an advantage by cheating and deceiving the referee when he hand balled in '86.  Suarez made no effort to decieve anyone.  It wasn't even sneaky.  He did what he did and walked as a result.  It was a professional foul, not a cynical one. 

Gyan had a penalty in the 120th minute of a World Cup quarter final.  Last kick of the game from 12 yards.  If you can't take that chance then you pay the price I'm afraid.

i very much doubt it.

He took one for the team and it paid off. If he had time to decide to do that then it's a little naughty but the fact is any professional footballer would do the same. By stopping the ball with his hands he changed the situation from 100% guaranteed elimination to a slightly better chance, but by no means certain. Ghana were given a penalty as required by the laws of the game. They missed it, tough s***. And then they took two atrocious penners in the shoot out. Nobody to blame but themselves. He got sent off and will miss a World Cup Semi-Final for his troubles.

FWIW, I have cheated at football plenty of times. Every time I appeal for a corner or throw when I know it came off me. I've given players kicks and digs, held them at corners, blocked them off and blatantly taken them out when they are through. It's how the game is played. You push the rules and it's up to the ref to spot it and punish you accordingly. Some people might not like it but the majority of people who play the game will do something sneaky, underhand or snidey at some point.

any ? there are thousands of occasions every week when they don't.

He took one for the team and it paid off. If he had time to decide to do that then it's a little naughty but the fact is any professional footballer would do the same. By stopping the ball with his hands he changed the situation from 100% guaranteed elimination to a slightly better chance, but by no means certain. Ghana were given a penalty as required by the laws of the game. They missed it, tough s***. And then they took two atrocious penners in the shoot out. Nobody to blame but themselves. He got sent off and will miss a World Cup Semi-Final for his troubles.

any ? there are thousands of occasions every week when they don't.

there are thousands of occasions every week where somebody finds themselves on the goal line in the last minute of a world cup quarter final with a chance to prevent elimination, if only for a few seconds?? Wow.

All these things are about crime and punishment and in particular when the punishment does not match the benefit of the crime. In Rugby the officials can award a penalty try where they suspect a team has deliberatly fouled to stop a score - seems to me that this option would have produced a more fair outcome. As this rule is not in place a think UEFA should give Suarez a minimum two game ban for the red card so that he cannot personally prosper.

In Rugby the officials can award a penalty try where they suspect a team has deliberatly fouled to stop a score

In rugby it  is a serious of fouls not just 1.

shoudn't have bothered after those two words, rugby is fucking shit and should not be compared to football in any way shape or form

Any single person on earth would have done what Suarez did. An instant reaction of doing whatever he could to stop his country going out of the World Cup. He's sacrificed himself for his team and will now miss out on the semi final so that his teammates can.

It's part of the game and it shouldn't be changed. It's cheating yes, but it's not trying to make it out to be anything else.

I know for a fact any other player on any other team would have done the same in that situation.

Guest kingdawson

I hate Suarez with a passionbut I'd be disappointed if any one of our lads didn't do what he did in the same situation

why?  surely not just 'cause his goal put you out...

I despise him for his post match reaction.

Guest Geordiesned

It's just been on SSN that FIFA are looking at the incident again and may issue a longer than 1 match ban for unsporting conduct. Seemingly that's more for his celebration when he saw the penalty missed than the actual hand ball.