James Perch

BeloEmre

Signed after impressing against Jonas in the championship, started with a record 5 or 6 yellows in as many consecutive matches. Limited player but proved his worth in his 2nd season and became somewhat of a cult hero.

Best wishes if you move on, Perchinho.

Got to be very good news that we're getting rid of people like Perch, as professional as he's been for us. Also must run contrary to the idea that we're only going after English cloggers from now on, wherever that idea came from.

Have to be a few worries about squad depth though, unless we've have more than a couple of signings planned.

Guest reefatoon

f***ing stupid decision to let him go. Good utility player who's had a real turnaround here, a real shame. He has outperformed Tiote by country miles in the last 18 months.

Hhmm, bit over the top there.  An average squad player at best, nothing great about him and I won't miss him turning out for us in midfield.  Limited player who will do well in the Championship. Good luck to the lad.

Good decision.

Yep, as long as we've got plans to add to the squad it's the kind of thing we should be doing.

Although Perch's work has elevated him above the likes of Gosling/Ranger et al, all are really players that should have no business anywhere near our first team. I really respect how hard he's worked and how he's turned things around for himself here, but is level is quite a bit lower really.

The three year career of James Perch at Gallowgate is set to end imminently, with Wigan Athletic favourites to complete a deal for the 27 year-old utility player. A figure of £700K has been speculated upon for Perch, who has just moved into the last year of his Newcastle contract.

Perch had attracted the attention of Championship sides including Leicester City and former employers Nottingham Forest, but now looks to have been persuaded to become a Latic by their recently-appointed boss Owen Coyle.

Moving to SJP in July 2010 after an abortive attempt to bring him from the City Ground the previous January, Perch made his bow in a pre-season victory at Carlisle.

A competitive debut followed in the season-opening loss away to Manchester United and appeared at right back until Danny Simpson recovered from ankle surgery.

Perch drifted out of the first team after the arrival of Alan Pardew as manager, losing his place at full back and making infrequent appearances as centre half cover.

The 2011/12 season however proved to be a momentous one for him, beginning it languishing on a reserve team tour of Holland but ending up as a solid performer during outings at full back, centre half and midfield and with the affectionate nickname of "Perchinho."

Injuries to Ryan Taylor and Danny Simpson then saw James enjoy his busiest season as a Magpie to date, completing a half century of league appearances and scoring his first senior goal, at Old Trafford. 

His 81st and final outing came from the bench at Loftus Road as United secured their top-flight status in the penultimate game of last season.

Coming after the departure of Simpson, Perch's exit further erodes the domestic contingent in our squad and although we've not always been his biggest fans, he's served the club well and provided excellent value.

It remains to be seen whether the same can be said of their successors....

from .com

Expanded article.

Seems a fair fee considering he's into his last year and that Wigan are never going to pay much.

Will be a good signing for them.

Shola, Gosling, Williamson and Obertan want flogging before we consider Perch surplus to requirements. Every squad needs it's 6/10 utility player, and Perch is pretty much an ideal one for where we're at right now imo.

Shola, Gosling, Williamson and Obertan want flogging before we consider Perch surplus to requirements.

You're right they are all worse, but it's not like you can always flog your players in order of shitness. That very shitness makes them harder to move on.

Guest neesy111

Perch whenever in the team is always a square peg in round holes. no matter where he plays.

Did his fair share but I remember him heading into thin air when Drogba scored. :lol:

Decent reading of the game with his intercepts and an occasional eye for the pass too.

It's a good signing for Wigan but I don't think we'll miss him. If anything it might force a younger player (e.g. Bigi) further into the reckoning.

A good player at the end but not at all times by any means. He was appalling at times.

It's a good signing for Wigan but I don't think we'll miss him. If anything it might force a younger player (e.g. Bigi) further into the reckoning.

A good player at the end but not at all times by any means. He was appalling at times.

He was appalling at right-back yet whenever he played centre-half or in the middle of the park he impressed me, especially with his composure. For the wages he'll be on to me it's a daft decision especially due to Taylor being injury prone and Williamson's future up in the air.

He was appalling at right-back yet whenever he played centre-half or in the middle of the park he impressed me, especially with his composure. For the wages he'll be on to me it's a daft decision especially due to Taylor being injury prone and Williamson's future up in the air.

Its a srtange one. I wonder if he had indicated he didnt want to sign a new contract?

It's odd. Pardew allegedly asked the board to give him a new deal and Kinnear mentioned him in that interview as one of the ones he knew (obviously from his time at Forest), so I wonder why we've decided to get rid.

It's odd. Pardew allegedly asked the board to give him a new deal and Kinnear mentioned him in that interview as one of the ones he knew (obviously from his time at Forest), so I wonder why we've decided to get rid.

Not good enough for this level is the obvious answer.

Guest neesy111

:thup:

:thup:

If we were to get rid of everyone that applied to we'd struggle to get 11 on the pitch.

He's good enough for this level in a 20-appearances, a dozen of them as a sub kind of way. Not as a regular starter. You'd think this regime would love him - cheap, versatile, doesn't kick up a fuss when not playing, English.